Picking up where I left off

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate that greatly! I would at least like to get my spare tire back. The good news is that I have a court hearing on Monday and I should be able to get back then and get the remainder of my stuff, at which point I’ll feel a bit better.
We can all share my dads spare because I don’t have one either right now 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman
You’re right I’m sure. But you can understand the caution I have in the back of my head. And just in case anyone suggests a rental car, I advise them to look into the rental car shortage, it’s for real. Can’t even get them, and if you can they are insanely priced.
Uber! But also I swear you won’t need it lol. Your rig is built to last!

We broke some steering mid point on a trail that you don't turn around on easily. Guy up front drove a ways, removed his steering, it got trotted back down the trail, installed, that guy drove up to the guy it came from, off and installed, he drove a ways, off it came and back down the trail until we got both of them to the top of the trail where it was far easier to work on their junk. In the meantime, the leader was running back to camp to fetch up the spare so we could get both of the rigs sharing the steering back since we were 10 miles from camp.

The only hard part was explaining that we don't need cotter pins installed for 200 yards of trail at a time.

The question is how far can ya'll roll a tire if more than one of you gets a flat?

Do we all have the same lug pattern?

Uber! But also I swear you won’t need it lol. Your rig is built to last!

Yeah, I don’t think I’m pushing it to the level where I really have to worry, but you know.

We broke some steering mid point on a trail that you don't turn around on easily. Guy up front drove a ways, removed his steering, it got trotted back down the trail, installed, that guy drove up to the guy it came from, off and installed, he drove a ways, off it came and back down the trail until we got both of them to the top of the trail where it was far easier to work on their junk. In the meantime, the leader was running back to camp to fetch up the spare so we could get both of the rigs sharing the steering back since we were 10 miles from camp.

The only hard part was explaining that we don't need cotter pins installed for 200 yards of trail at a time.

The question is how far can ya'll roll a tire if more than one of you gets a flat?
That sounds miserable. New plan Chris. I’m going undercover, dressing up like a Mormon with a nice white button down and black tie. I’ll knock on your door and rescue your spare.

That sounds miserable. New plan Chris. I’m going undercover, dressing up like a Mormon with a nice white button down and black tie. I’ll knock on your door and rescue your spare.
It sounds miserable until you consider the alternative. I've drug one rig out of a trail with a busted rear diff. I ain't wanting to do much of that again. We were ecstatic we derived a solution that allowed both rigs to be driven to the top of the trail while waiting on parts.

You’re right I’m sure. But you can understand the caution I have in the back of my head. And just in case anyone suggests a rental car, I advise them to look into the rental car shortage, it’s for real. Can’t even get them, and if you can they are insanely priced.
What is up with the shortage of rentals? Did they sell off most of their cars to fund themselves through the pandemic? I am going to a wedding in Raleigh NC and no cars..

What is up with the shortage of rentals? Did they sell off most of their cars to fund themselves through the pandemic? I am going to a wedding in Raleigh NC and no cars..
Yes. They sold the fleets due to lack of travel, covid, and got a good price given the booming used car market.

• Wow
Reactions: Wildman
Yes. They sold the fleets due to lack of travel, covid, and got a good price given the booming used car market.
Yup, new car shortages are causing a domino effect. I got almost what I paid for a 2 model year old truck and the dealer sold it for more than I paid for it when new. Crazy times. They cannot get enough electronic components to build cars.

All the supply chains are a mess. I work in distribution and we cannot get trucks to haul, or people to work. Unemployment extra Covid benefits need to end soon.

Yup, new car shortages are causing a domino effect. I got almost what I paid for a 2 model year old truck and the dealer sold it for more than I paid for it when new. Crazy times. They cannot get enough electronic components to build cars.

All the supply chains are a mess. I work in distribution and we cannot get trucks to haul, or people to work. Unemployment extra Covid benefits need to end soon.
Try buying a dirtbike right now, they got nothing and don't know when they'll have something.

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman and AMS417
Try buying a dirtbike right now, they got nothing and don't know when they'll have something.
Or a camper, or a set of tires, or a house, or pretty much anything. Supply chain = broken.

200.gif

I was going to get rid of my explorer as they are paying ridiculous prices, problem is I wanted a new Outback and Subaru shut their factories down for at least 6 weeks. Had a dealer in Chicago offer me 15% off list only to rescind the offer 2 days later and go to MSRP.

It sounds miserable until you consider the alternative. I've drug one rig out of a trail with a busted rear diff. I ain't wanting to do much of that again. We were ecstatic we derived a solution that allowed both rigs to be driven to the top of the trail while waiting on parts.
What was the solution?

The one with the busted rear diff, we watched a guy get drug down the trail at Slickrock Trail with a busted yoke and by the time they got him out he had a broken front axle.
It was a very long day on a very hard trail. Look closely.
1620442524082.png

That is his winch line on the back of my rig, drive, stop, winch some, pull some, tug some, stack rocks, it was a very long day and then we did this near the end after it got dark. Winching snatched back to bumper, lots of force, offset tie rod ends said fuck right off. Note the sleeve on the winch line and how mangled it is.
1620442858984.png

It was a very long day on a very hard trail. Look closely.
View attachment 250754

That is his winch line on the back of my rig, drive, stop, winch some, pull some, tug some, stack rocks, it was a very long day and then we did this near the end after it got dark. Winching snatched back to bumper, lots of force, offset tie rod ends said fuck right off. Note the sleeve on the winch line and how mangled it is.
?
Brutal...but, quite the story to tell. Do you laugh about it today, over your favorite beverage? oh, and I would define that YJ as experiencing much fuckery...

Last edited:
Reactions: DrDmoney
Brutal...but, quite the story to tell. Do you laugh about it today, over your favorite beverage? oh, and I would define that YJ as experiencing much fuckery...
The trail was Outer Limits in JV. He did a little bump up a fall halfway through and blew up the differential enough to shoot the cross pin out the sheet metal on the housing's welded rear cover. There were places where we reset the winch anchor 5 or 6 times to move 20 feet. We did that for hours and the winch is hooked up on mine so I could pull line while it was in free spool to save everyone from winding it in having to run back and forth hooking it up due to just the sheer number of set and resets.

No, it is not something I laugh about much. It was also a lesson in not fucking with the rock gods as they make you pay every single time. Unbeknownst to us, he packed up so he could get an early start out when we got back to camp. Had I known that, I would have never been on trail with him. He also knew better.

While I don't fully believe the rock gods exist, I can tell you I have dozens upon dozens of examples where things went to shit due to them listening.

Yes sir, these are the best tires I've ever run out here and they are so much better at not getting a cut sidewall than anything else I've run. I promise you that within half a trail he'll have 2 ruined tires.

Stuff like that over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.