Picking up where I left off

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trail was Outer Limits in JV. He did a little bump up a fall halfway through and blew up the differential enough to shoot the cross pin out the sheet metal on the housing's welded rear cover. There were places where we reset the winch anchor 5 or 6 times to move 20 feet. We did that for hours and the winch is hooked up on mine so I could pull line while it was in free spool to save everyone from winding it in having to run back and forth hooking it up due to just the sheer number of set and resets.

No, it is not something I laugh about much. It was also a lesson in not fucking with the rock gods as they make you pay every single time. Unbeknownst to us, he packed up so he could get an early start out when we got back to camp. Had I known that, I would have never been on trail with him. He also knew better.

While I don't fully believe the rock gods exist, I can tell you I have dozens upon dozens of examples where things went to shit due to them listening.

Yes sir, these are the best tires I've ever run out here and they are so much better at not getting a cut sidewall than anything else I've run. I promise you that within half a trail he'll have 2 ruined tires.

Stuff like that over and over.
Which tires?

• Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney
It was a very long day on a very hard trail. Look closely.
View attachment 250754

That is his winch line on the back of my rig, drive, stop, winch some, pull some, tug some, stack rocks, it was a very long day and then we did this near the end after it got dark. Winching snatched back to bumper, lots of force, offset tie rod ends said fuck right off. Note the sleeve on the winch line and how mangled it is.
View attachment 250757
and looking closely, your rig has come along ways since the original TJ you were driving in JV...is the engine in your rig in this picture, stock 4.0? or something else?

The winch is hooked up on mine so I could pull line while it was in free spool to save everyone from winding it in having to run back and forth hooking it up due to just the sheer number of set and resets.
??

Likely they were winching off Blaine's rig, then he would switch to free spool and drive forward a bit and winch again. Repeat. The walking and continual setup and take down time is reduced. We've been there and done that to a lesser degree.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Likely they were winching off Blaine's rig, then he would switch to free spool and drive forward a bit and winch again. Repeat. The walking and continual setup and take down time is reduced. We've been there and done that to a lesser degree.
Got it thx, I read to much into it 🤓

When you start doing a whole bunch of winching back to back, the line gets all fuckered up on the drum. You might winch 3 feet on one pull and then spool out 50 feet to the next anchor. That means it sinks down into the layers when it gets loaded or it has stacked up on a side pull, been pulled back out and hand tensioned to even it back out which leaves it loose. Multiple resets means pulling it out by hand is a real bitch so we hook it on the back of a rig, rig drives to a good anchor spot, rig winches out of the obstacle if possible, hit free spool and do it again. It is a combination effort of stacking, winching, tugging against the winch line with the drum locked but without shock load, and driving with the front tires to assist.

There was a guy on here before that would have given anything for a Blaine build, maybe if he hadn't gotten kicked off.
200.gif
(@jodomcfrodo)

Status
Not open for further replies.