Picking up where I left off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad, because he joined us wheeling one time and was fairly pleasant.

He was, he wheeled with us well too. I didn't know he was banned until I tried to visit his profile a few months ago and kept getting an error message. Must have been before he got a big head

Reactions: DrDmoney
He was, he wheeled with us well too. I didn't know he was banned until I tried to visit his profile a few months ago and kept getting an error message. Must have been before he got a big head
I must've missed the big head era...

Reactions: IPerkWVU
He owned it but someone else called him that, I can't remember who it was though...oh well, in the forgotten pages now :)
I did at least once, he was on a rage against Blaine for a bit - and defended it as "but I still own more than half the savvy catalog". IIRC it started in a thread where someone on 33s bent their engine skid in JV and lost it when people said that's not unexpected given the build and trail...

Reactions: DrDmoney
There was a forum I was on a while back during my CJ stage that had a guy named "VEX" (or maybe that was his CJ's name) that claimed to work for NASA/JPL and made weird claims about his Jeep being to the moon and around the world literally like 5 times. He got banned for being an AD too.

His stories were hilarious, like a fantasy novel. He could even make it seem plausible. BUT, he was rude and mean to others, so he had to go.

He died a few years ago and his jeep popped up on CL for a while. I think some CJ guys bought it to keep in his deplorable honor.

There was a forum I was on a while back during my CJ stage that had a guy named "VEX" (or maybe that was his CJ's name) that claimed to work for NASA/JPL and made weird claims about his Jeep being to the moon and around the world literally like 5 times. He got banned for being an AD too.

His stories were hilarious, like a fantasy novel. He could even make it seem plausible. BUT, he was rude and mean to others, so he had to go.

He died a few years ago and his jeep popped up on CL for a while. I think some CJ guys bought it to keep in his deplorable honor.
His name was Robert A. M. Stephens. When I first started chatting with him via email and phone, he lived in Whitefish Montana. He was going to bring Vex out and wheel some in JV with us but never did. Very talented artist, lots of stories on the phone, lots of adventure stuff that most of us would have enjoyed had we been along for the trip. He wound up down in Las Cruces, NM after making several trips across the border to help build some orphanages along the Mexican coast after a typhoon or hurricane went through and destroyed it like Katrina did to the LA area.

He would pop back onto the forums every time a new model came out, first it was the TJ, then the JK, then the comparisons of the TJ Unlimited and JK Unlimited. His posting style to irritate was well cultivated and intentional once the BS started. If you were civil to him, he responded in kind. If you were not, the gloves came off and he would get himself banned from most places in short order with the key thing being he didn't really give a shit. We be chatting and he'd be giggling as he read replies from folks who were outraged that he fucked with them after they started being a dick to him.

I enjoyed chatting with him about his lawsuit with Bell. I was sad when he passed and I still miss our chats.

He likely had the only CJ with a frame that had been plated with 1/2" steel plate full length so that his multi-snatch block recoveries wouldn't distort it.

His name was Robert A. M. Stephens. When I first started chatting with him via email and phone, he lived in Whitefish Montana. He was going to bring Vex out and wheel some in JV with us but never did. Very talented artist, lots of stories on the phone, lots of adventure stuff that most of us would have enjoyed had we been along for the trip. He wound up down in Las Cruces, NM after making several trips across the border to help build some orphanages along the Mexican coast after a typhoon or hurricane went through and destroyed it like Katrina did to the LA area.

He would pop back onto the forums every time a new model came out, first it was the TJ, then the JK, then the comparisons of the TJ Unlimited and JK Unlimited. His posting style to irritate was well cultivated and intentional once the BS started. If you were civil to him, he responded in kind. If you were not, the gloves came off and he would get himself banned from most places in short order with the key thing being he didn't really give a shit. We be chatting and he'd be giggling as he read replies from folks who were outraged that he fucked with them after they started being a dick to him.

I enjoyed chatting with him about his lawsuit with Bell. I was sad when he passed and I still miss our chats.

He likely had the only CJ with a frame that had been plated with 1/2" steel plate full length so that his multi-snatch block recoveries wouldn't distort it.
1/2", wow

1/2", wow
He carried 5 snatch blocks. Tie the rig off to a solid anchor and that's a lot of force that can be exerted through that many. He had pics of a recovery he did getting a loaded concrete truck back up on pavement using several of his snatch blocks. Fairly impressive. Of course, his snatch blocks all in one bag with the rest of his gear weighed about as much as a 4 liter in a TJ so there is that.

I’ve driven my TJ more in the past several weeks than I ever have in the time I’ve owned them over the years.

The more I drive it the more happy I am with it and still in total disbelief that it is a TJ. If it weren’t for the piss poor fuel economy I could actually drive this thing every day and never not have a smile on my face.

Anyone who has any doubt whatsoever how much of a difference a properly dialed in suspension can make is missing out. I was skeptical at first when I would hear people like @Midnight LJR talk about how his handled like an auto cross vehicle, but I am no longer skeptical. I can toss this thing through corners as hard as I want and never once does it feel like it’s going to tip over.

I’ve been taking banked highway on-ramps with 40 MPH posted speeds at 90 MPH and its just so, so planted.

This thing was good when I got it, but it’s otherworldly now. I absolutely love this thing! 😍

The on road manners have no business being this good, especially on a TJ. That is simply to say that I never in a million years would have guessed a TJ could feel like this to drive. It drives phenomenally better than any bone stock TJ you'll ever drive.

He carried 5 snatch blocks. Tie the rig off to a solid anchor and that's a lot of force that can be exerted through that many. He had pics of a recovery he did getting a loaded concrete truck back up on pavement using several of his snatch blocks. Fairly impressive. Of course, his snatch blocks all in one bag with the rest of his gear weighed about as much as a 4 liter in a TJ so there is that.
According to his old jeep forum profile the frame was plated with 1"...he was a unique guy

VEX Jeepforum.com member profile 1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.