Planned Maintenance

Sahara01

I am planning on doing the following maintenance on my 01 4.0 manual trans at or around 70k. The previous owner maintained it pretty well and I plan to keep it up. Wondering if I should add anything to the list or if I have gone wrong with any of the parts and fluids I have got so far. Also wondering if some of the fluids can go a little longer based on the last time they were changed. Although there is something I like about starting fresh and knowing exactly when and what was done and not basing it off of notes and receipts from a previous owner. It has been a long time since I have owned worked on and maintained a gas vehicle. I have been a Cummins 12v owner for nearly the past decade. Any additions, changes, tips, etc. are welcomed and appreciated.

Immediate:
Oil filter
Oil 10w-30 synthetic (6) quarts
Air filter

PCV elbows and grommets
Dorman 47057, 47079, (2) 42344
These seem to be leaking a bit

Green grease for the suspension

Near future:

Trans fluid NV3550
Pennzoil Synchromesh 3501
All my research has lead me to this with Mopar, Royal Purple and Redline being the other options
17mm hex !? couldn't find a socket locally but my dad dug up an old Allen head wrench he had used to service my moms old VW bus back in the day.
This was last done at 25k

Diff fluid
Dana 35 Dana 40
80w-90
This was last done at 35k
Previous owner was using 75w-140 synthetic. From what I have read the 80w-90 will be fine if I am not towing. I do have Detroit truetracs front and rear, the manual I have states use what the manufacture recommends.

Transfer case NP231 Amsoil ATF
Had this on hand does not state +3 or +4 but I think it is.

Spark plugs
(6) Autolite APP985
Jerry had some great info on this and Chris has a detailed write up on the job. Thanks to both!

Coolant
I believe I need Zerex G-05 coolant
Any direction to a thread with a coolant flush right up would be appreciated. I did not find one searching here.
I did have a bad radiator cap which caused a decent leak. I filled the overflow tank back up with H20 and standard coolant. I was in a pinch and didn't know it took specific antifreeze.
Also not sure how urgent this is, I used about 1/2 gallon of the wrong antifreeze.

Check that out in regards to flushing the coolant:
How to flush the coolant on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Everything else on your list looks spot on!

Here's a thread that has info on all the fluid capacities for the TJ:
Jeep Wrangler TJ Fluid Capacities

It also has some of the recommended fluids to use as well. For coolant I use the OE Mopar coolant, but anything similar is fine of course.

Make absolutely certain when you flush your cooling system to ONLY use distilled water, do NOT use tap water!

Looks good to me although I wouldn't go with synthetic oil not because I think there's anything wrong with it but because I think you'd be throwing away money. But that's just my opinion. Also, Zerex G-05 coolant in a Jeep is something I hadn't heard before. Isn't that the yellow stuff? I always thought Jeeps of this era used green coolant and I always thought mixing them was a serious issue. If I'm wrong please bring me up to speed.

Reactions: Sahara01
Thanks for all the help guys!
I am very frugal but I am happy with the deal I got on synthetic oil 2.99 per qt on sale.
What would you recommend for conventional if I went that route?
Can the tc, trans and diffs wait until 75k?
How about the coolant, since I added the wrong stuff should I do a flush asap?
RedTJ mine was a pink or red color, I should have known better but was in a pinch.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for all the help guys!
I am very frugal but I am happy with the deal I got on synthetic oil 2.99 per qt on sale.
What would you recommend for conventional if I went that route?
Can the tc, trans and diffs wait until 75k?
How about the coolant, since I added the wrong stuff should I do a flush asap?
RedTJ mine was a pink or red color, I should have known better but was in a pinch.

For conventional oil, any brans is fine. I use Penzoil and it works great. Don't buy into marketing tactics oil companies use. That's exactly what it is... marketing.

The diffs and trans can wait until 75k as long as you don't abuse the Jeep. If you're off-roading it and driving it hard, then no, I wouldn't wait. However, if it's mostly just easy miles, you'd be fine.

You'll be fine with the coolant you added, just put the correct stuff in next time.

I am planning on doing the following maintenance on my 01 4.0 manual trans at or around 70k. The previous owner maintained it pretty well and I plan to keep it up. Wondering if I should add anything to the list or if I have gone wrong with any of the parts and fluids I have got so far. Also wondering if some of the fluids can go a little longer based on the last time they were changed. Although there is something I like about starting fresh and knowing exactly when and what was done and not basing it off of notes and receipts from a previous owner. It has been a long time since I have owned worked on and maintained a gas vehicle. I have been a Cummins 12v owner for nearly the past decade. Any additions, changes, tips, etc. are welcomed and appreciated.

Immediate:
Oil filter
Oil 10w-30 synthetic (6) quarts
Air filter

PCV elbows and grommets
Dorman 47057, 47079, (2) 42344
These seem to be leaking a bit

Green grease for the suspension

Near future:

Trans fluid NV3550
Pennzoil Synchromesh 3501
All my research has lead me to this with Mopar, Royal Purple and Redline being the other options
17mm hex !? couldn't find a socket locally but my dad dug up an old Allen head wrench he had used to service my moms old VW bus back in the day.
This was last done at 25k

Diff fluid
Dana 35 Dana 40
80w-90
Previous owner was using 75w-140 synthetic. From what I have read the 80w-90 will be fine if I am not towing. I do have Detroit truetracs front and rear, the manual I have states use what the manufacture recommends.

Transfer case NP231 Amsoil ATF
Had this on hand does not state +3 or +4 but I think it is.

Spark plugs
(6) Autolite APP985
Jerry had some great info on this and Chris has a detailed write up on the job. Thanks to both!

Coolant
I believe I need Zerex G-05 coolant
Any direction to a thread with a coolant flush right up would be appreciated. I did not find one searching here.
I did have a bad radiator cap which caused a decent leak. I filled the overflow tank back up with H20 and standard coolant. I was in a pinch and didn't know it took specific antifreeze.
Also not sure how urgent this is, I used about 1/2 gallon of the wrong antifreeze.

Nothing wrong with using synthetics, as they have superior characteristics compared to standard crude based oils. Pick a brand and stick with it. Personally, I use Mobil 1, in everything. It's the factory fill and recommended oil in $100,000 + high end vehicles. As far as using the ultra expensive royal purple and Amsoil, I think you are wasting your money. I managed an auto lube facility for six years and had a lot of training from that as well as aviation maintenance school.