Please Learn From My Lack of Proper Insurance Coverage (Please Read)

The insurance company had me bring the Jeep to their repair facility for an evaluation and repair quote. They wanted to total the Jeep, but I continued to push back stating that was unacceptable and requested they find a way to get the damage repaired.
The solution was a used door that would be repainted (already had factory tinted window) and they would not repaint the entire Jeep.
The repairs cost $5100 in 2003; this was a 1998 XJ 4.0L Sport with 5.5" lift, 33" tires with many many modifications.
You need to stand firm and push back on the insurance adjusters attempts minimize the money they put out.
This is the goal, push back, remind them it’s their clients fault and that I want it repaired the right way. Standing firm on this until the end.

just be prepared to pay the premium. If not, find another insurer as was stated.
I have zero issue with paying more and getting the right coverage, almost to the point of whatever it cost to keep it covered entirely and accurately.

And I hope everyone here with heavy and expensive modifications will take this advice to heart and act on it.

I have zero issue with paying more and getting the right coverage, almost to the point of whatever it cost to keep it covered entirely and accurately.

And I hope everyone here with heavy and expensive modifications will take this advice to heart and act on it.
Thank you for sharing.
This coverage has been sitting on my mind for the past year and something, and i been meaning to get in touch with USAA for the past two month... this is like a sign to get on it before next road trip

The thing I've always worried about is having the thing stolen - then you are pretty much at the insurer's mercy if you have not made value arrangements prior to the incident.
Lots of detailed high resolution pictures showing paint quality, cleanliness inside and out, and close ups of all mods should help if stolen. Along with all the receipts for parts and labor.

What a nightmare that would be.

Thank you for sharing.
This coverage has been sitting on my mind for the past year and something, and i been meaning to get in touch with USAA for the past two month... this is like a sign to get on it before next road trip
I’m begging you to do it. It could be time consuming and a lot of work, but in the end it would make it really easy and much less a nightmare if you had the righr coverage and confidence if anything happened.

Again, this wasn't my fault, someone pulled in front of me right as I was about to pass their vehicle, crossed into my lane, and there was no avoiding it. Couldn't of anticipated it happening.

Based on my last total loss in a Wrangler, USAA is outstanding when it comes to insurance claims and working with them.

The damage. More than meets the eye, will get some better photos later.

Right frame rail has a slight wrinkle at the forward-most factory frame energy management hole on the outside upper frame rail. The wrinkle is identical in size and comparison to a vein on the back of your hand.

Quarter panel is pushed in and wrinkled by the front right PSC fender which is out due to the frame shift. Grill is out of true as well as the hood. Seems like an easy fix, but not if they think it’s only worth $7k.
3EC726E7-352D-4683-8515-C4633D74DFBC.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: Tob and Apparition
Any place around that can properly appraise it for its real value? Then you can get around trying to prove its value with receipts.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I don't have anywhere near the modification the OP has, but a little here and a little there over years and years of owning my Jeep.
My cost to replace has gone up, and my book value has gone down, and I never even gave it a god damn thought, until this thread!
"I've got full coverage"

Thanks for the eye opener, sorry you had to be our canary in the coal mine.

I just looked at Hagerty’s website and it does state that heavy off road modifications are not covered.

Not trying to argue, just bringing it to your attention and advocating for reading your policy line by line, word by word to make sure.
I would say that most if not all insurance isn’t going to cover off-road damage. As far as mods go, I think what they are saying is they won’t insure a heavily modified vehicle that is for off-road use. I’ve already seen others get denied from hagerty when they say they will be used for off-roading.

At this point I have stated value at 30k on it, doesn’t matter what mods I have, if it gets totaled, I’ll get 30k.

I would say that most if not all insurance isn’t going to cover off-road damage. As far as mods go, I think what they are saying is they won’t insure a heavily modified vehicle that is for off-road use. I’ve already seen others get denied from hagerty when they say they will be used for off-roading.

At this point I have stated value at 30k on it, doesn’t matter what mods I have, if it gets totaled, I’ll get 30k.
I did, so I kept with USAA. But when I had hagerty for my M3 I set the insured value.

I have my RZR XP 1000 and CJ rock buggy insured thru State Farm with off road polices, I gave them the value of each that I thought they were worth and they sent me a bill. The premiums are less than what I thought but do not include any coverage on public roads.

From my understanding(or lack there of) was that they increased strength, and that’s what I don’t understand.
A dimple die alters the area moment of inertia to make the material more rigid. It's like a I-beam is far stiffer and more resistant to buckling than a plate. An even more simple example is picking up a piece of pizza. If you hold it flat the skinny end droops even to the point of hanging vertical, but you put a little "V" bend in the pizza, side to side, it will stay flat such that you can take a bite almost straight on with the pizza. So a dimple die bends a lip around the circle that is out of plane of the sheet metal thus making it more rigid and for thin aluminum sheet like that used in the wheelwell it can make it a lot quieter (a higher natural frequency) and more resistant to deflecting as well.