Prepping axle for swap

mrfourpointo

TJ Enthusiast
I have a Dana 44 that I'll be swapping into the rear of my 2004. I am going to degrease, sand (3M bristle discs on an angle grinder), self etching primer, then rattle can for easy touch ups.

But, what are my steps in prepping for everything else? Here are the other items that will be addressed before, during, or after install:

New rear shoes/springs
Locker
Regear

What should/can be done with the axle on stands versus on the Jeep?

Also, does that driver's side upper control arm mount look bent?

20201220_150933.jpg

20201220_150952.jpg

20201220_151005.jpg

Do the locker and re-gear on the bench. Much easier. I pulled both mine and did it this way.
For the brake work, either is ok and may be easier on the car depending on your work area.

I would suggest (if you have one nearby) to take the empty axle housing to get media blasted. Every time I get a used axle I get it chemical dipped and media blasted. Almost everything will be easier on a bench if you can do it. Locker and gear setup is way easier on a bench. If you haven't set gears before, here is a brief tutorial video.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-re-gear-your-tj-axles.40827/
Here are a few pics of two Dana 44's I just had blasted and painted.

PXL_20201201_220922325.jpg

PXL_20201204_152146534.jpg

PXL_20201204_155317463.jpg

PXL_20201207_231442580.MP.jpg

I would suggest (if you have one nearby) to take the empty axle housing to get media blasted. Every time I get a used axle I get it chemical dipped and media blasted. Almost everything will be easier on a bench if you can do it. Locker and gear setup is way easier on a bench. If you haven't set gears before, here is a brief tutorial video.
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-re-gear-your-tj-axles.40827/
Here are a few pics of two Dana 44's I just had blasted and painted.

View attachment 211981

View attachment 211982

View attachment 211983

View attachment 211984
What do you pay in your area for blasting and dip?

For blasting, it looks like I would need to completely disassemble down to the housing. I don't have a current need to pull the shafts. Any reason why I would need to do this? I hadn't planned on going chromoly until something breaks.

For blasting, it looks like I would need to completely disassemble down to the housing. I don't have a current need to pull the shafts. Any reason why I would need to do this? I hadn't planned on going chromoly until something breaks.
Yeah you mentioned gears and a locker. If you do that, shafts, carrier, and brakes already have to come off. The only thing left after that is the brake lines and backing plates. If you aren't doing that right now then stick to your original plan.

It’s all in how pretty you want to make it. My axles got pulled out, new guts, and went back under. If I open the can of worms by painting then it tends to get out of hand. The Jeep is just going to get dirty anyway.

Reactions: hosejockey61
I would advocate for a complete tear down. Doing so will allow you to visually inspect everything.

If it were me, Id have it blasted and powder coated or painted. Easier to work on something that’s clean and makes it a fair bit easier to visually notice problems.

As mentioned above, re gearing calls for removal of the shafts anyways.

It would build my confidnece knowing its all freshened up before I take it out wheeling. It would suck to put in the time to do the swap only to find that it’s leaking or having some problem after putting a few miles on it past swap.

Reactions: Irun
I would advocate for a complete tear down. Doing so will allow you to visually inspect everything.

If it were me, Id have it blasted and powder coated or painted. Easier to work on something that’s clean and makes it a fair bit easier to visually notice problems.

As mentioned above, re gearing calls for removal of the shafts anyways.

It would build my confidnece knowing its all freshened up before I take it out wheeling. It would suck to put in the time to do the swap only to find that it’s leaking or having some problem after putting a few miles on it past swap.
x2 here^^.... I've pulled a couple used rears apart and found twisted splines. Better to know this before you're out on the trail. You never know how someone treated it before you!

Reactions: hosejockey61
Well, looks like I'll be adding that to the build list. Revolution Discovery Series appears to be made in the USA, limited lifetime warranty, and around $300 for a pair. Sounds like a solid deal. If the current ones are good after inspection, then they can be trail backups.

Reactions: Irun
I sell these axles so I have to (choose) to tear them down to make sure they aren't bent or have any problems. I would do the same if putting it under my own Jeep but that's just me.