Project Everyday Jeep: My 2001 TJ Build Thread

One final delivery... for now...

IMG_2901.jpg

Reactions: Stinger and Chris
I'm left asking why the XJ Dana 44 vs the TJ Dana 44?

Availability mostly. Easier to clean up for new brackets. If I remember correctly (it's been a while) the tubes are stronger, if only slightly. Weighing in was also the fact that I can sell my matched set with Dana 44 and 3.73s.

It has been a really busy year. We moved in July and began a fun but time and money consuming home remodel project.

After contemplating several rear axle plans, I finally settled. My three most viable plans included;
• Keep my factory Dana 44
• Build the tried and true Ford 8.8
• Build a XJ Dana 44

I chose the XJ 44!

View attachment 2779

View attachment 2780

I installed my ECGS Brackets on my XJ Dana 44. The bracket kit is really beefy, but it did not include installation instructions. I was successfully able to adapt the instructions for a similar bracket kit designed for the Ford 8.8, and the installation was relatively easy. My welds aren't beautiful, but I think they will do the trick. Everything is set up for a pinion angle of 17°. I know it's not ideal, but I went ahead and stuck the shock mounts on. The mounts in the ECGS kit were nice but the mounts from my TNT Customs Rear Shock Mounts were a bit wider, so I can add misalignment spacers if my shocks are narrower. Next steps; sandblast, prime and paint.

View attachment 2781

View attachment 2782

View attachment 2783

I rattle canned my axle black and I drilled and tapped the axle for the axle vent.

View attachment 2784

Now, I think that brings us up to date!
If you are into weld new CA brackets, why no triangulate the rear links and ditch the track bar?

Wow, so in the last 2 1/2 years a lot has happened. I'll try to keep it short.

Remodeling a house sucks. No matter how many coats of paint, the house is still old. We bought two acres of land and built more house than we can afford. Well we can afford it, but it sure tightens the belt a bit.

I spent a lot of that time helping a buddy build a CJ-5. While my budget was tightening, his loosened up a bit due to promotions at work, and without ever putting the CJ in the dirt, he sold it and bought a '04 Rubicon. Itching to put it in the dirt, we headed up to Rush Springs Ranch near Jane, MO. On stock 31 inch tires the Rubi went on some of the hardest trails in the park without incident.

I had a plan, and that plan had a sequence. Since I needed wheels larger than 15" to accommodate the Big Brake Kit, that meant I had to have new wheels. New, larger wheels meant new tires, and new tires had to mean 33"-35", right? 33" - 35" tires require lift, and all of that requires more money than I have. So, as I said earlier, I wait...

However, on the way back from Rush Springs, calculator in hand, that plan began to change. In the process of waiting, my tires had worn out, and now I was running Milestar Patagonia 31x10.5. What had just happened? We'd been on the trails running 31's with lockers front and rear and lower gears.

My original plan is still in tact, just slightly resequenced. When my buddy bought new wheels and tires for his Rubicon, he gifted me his 31's on original 16" Moabs. I sold my 15" Canyons and Patagonias and bought the remaining parts for my axle install.

I'm working on setting the pattern for my rear Dana 44 today. Updates coming soon...

As my son says, "It sucks to suck." While I've made some progress, Project 365Jeep is simply taking too long. Life and family priorities keep taking priority. Hopefully, there are others that keep their projects on the back burner. Keeping true to 365Jeep, I still drive it every day. Here's what's happened in the last 1,316 days.

Here's what she looked like after installing my gifted Moabs.

tempImage41LmJe.jpg

The next step was to... ugh... get it stuck in the yard. LOL.

58413450419__ACB2B7ED-5679-4F51-B064-73FEC60A0AAD.JPG

Last edited:
On October 27 way back in 1019, I finally completed my axle swaps. Reverse cut Dana 30 up front with an XJ Dana 44 out back. Both have Eaton E-lockers and 4.88 gears. I have the OG Black Magic Big Brake Kit and Explorer rear brakes inspired by this thread... https://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=967146

Along with the axle swap, I installed Jeep ZJ steering linkage. It's substanitally beefier with stock affordability. Nice Hack!

After a few years of running without a sway bar at all, in January of 2020, I installed the Antirock.
tempImageDTmidZ.jpg

tempImageZfeayK.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FarFire70
Making incremental progress, In April 2020 I invested in the U-POL Raptor Liner Kit. It was a fun and relatively easy project. It's been 3 years now, and it's holding up perfectly! I highly recommend the product, if you're up for a DIY. Unfortunately, I did not get a good picture of the finished product.

60893034718__9C6A0653-66CA-4C43-A277-6AE511CD0FC0.JPG

RenderedImage.JPG