Bennythebull

Supporting Member
Starting in about 2018 I was desperately looking for a project. My friends and I had been on a University Baja SAE team, and after finishing college one of my buddies decided to make his own, more powerful Baja car. While that project was going on I figured it would be nice to have a reliable off-roader that could act as a recovery vehicle. So in March 2019, I found out that someone I knew had a Wrangler with just a few problems in a tent behind their house. I knew it had frame damage, and I knew it needed body work. In fact, I knew this thing was going to be a big project. What I didn't realize at the time was the scale, the absolute level of destruction that 20 years of Michigan roads had laid out on this Jeep.

I've been lurking on the forums for a while now, using every resource possible to try and put this Jeep back together correctly. Honestly I'm not sure if I would have had the confidence to do all the things I have if it weren't for all of the kind people and useful information on this site. I've posted a couple of times showing the progress of the bodywork, but I'd like to share the whole story. I hope you guys enjoy.

IMG_8168.JPG

IMG_8200 Edit.jpg

IMG_8201.JPG

IMG_8202.JPG

IMG_8203.JPG

IMG_8204.JPG

The first thing to do was tear the whole thing down. It took from late March to early May in 2019 to get the body fully ready to separate from the frame. From the second I saw that thing up on the trailer I knew the two pieces would have to come apart, there was just too much to be done. My friends, our dog Basil, and my partner Brian were crucial in helping me keep up enough energy to get to the part I was really excited about. I had to cut apart rusty body mounts, cut bolts in half, and hammer more things than I knew could be hammered, but it finally happened.

On May 3rd, my parents of all people - wearing their realtor work clothes, helped me get the body off of the frame. That was such a huge deal at the time. I was finally getting somewhere with this thing! But oh man was that frame ugly. And the holes that I was now able to see in the body were not promising. This might take a while.

IMG_8305.JPG

IMG_8306.JPG

IMG_8309.JPG

IMG_8311.JPG

IMG_8317.JPG

IMG_8600.jpg

IMG_8602.jpg

IMG_8711.jpg

IMG_8714.jpg

IMG_8717.jpg

IMG_8721.jpg

IMG_8778.jpg

IMG_8781.jpg

IMG_8859.jpg

IMG_8896.jpg

IMG_8901.jpg

IMG_8904.jpg

IMG_8908.jpg

IMG_8909.jpg

IMG_8912.jpg

IMG_8913.jpg

IMG_8917.jpg

May 9th, 2019. What a beautiful day! The dog is doing that weird thing where he rolls around on his back for a while, it's a cool 68 degrees, what a perfect day to look at the Chassis. After rolling it out of the garage, I started by chipping off the heavy rust using a pneumatic scaler. To make sure I got everything, I figured I should probably drop the T-case skid plate... Only to find out there was basically no metal left holding it to the frame. Just rust.

After that I figured it would be a good idea to wire wheel off the remaining crust so I could find any pinholes. Oh boy were there holes, just not pin-sized. Surprisingly (and luckily), the top half of the frame rails were in decent shape and had lost next to no material due to rust. This would be important, as the classic rear-wheel arch and aforementioned skid plate mounting section no longer had what you would call "structure".

At this point I was a little stuck. I knew I would have to get patches, and I knew welding would be involved. Neither of these things worried me too much as I had experience welding. But I'd never worked on a full-sized vehicle before, much less a frame. I ALSO didn't have a welder, or a 240V outlet which would be nice for thicker metal.

IMG_8924.jpg

IMG_8926.jpg

IMG_8927.jpg

IMG_8929.jpg

IMG_8930.jpg

IMG_8946.JPG

IMG_8965.jpg

IMG_8967.jpg

IMG_8969.jpg

IMG_8970.jpg

IMG_8971.jpg

TWSA7003.JPG

Based on your post I get the impression that you're young, which I like to see as most younger people (heck, even my own age) aren't getting into this stuff anymore. Bravo.

Looks like you're having fun with it. I think I would ditch that frame and get a clean one to build from, but I have more money than time these days.

Based on your post I get the impression that you're young, which I like to see as most younger people (heck, even my own age) aren't getting into this stuff anymore. Bravo.

Looks like you're having fun with it. I think I would ditch that frame and get a clean one to build from, but I have more money than time these days.
If only I had gotten this note about a year ago haha. I actually have pictures back from March 2019 up to today and I'm trying to break them down into posts that don't appear too spammy. As of today the frame has been repaired, the clutch has been serviced, the suspension has been replaced, all u-joints were replaced, and I am working hard at the body right now.

I'm the President of my schools Baja team for the upcoming year. I'm planning on doing a lemons car with some alumni after I graduate. My TJ had rust, but luckily not as bad as yours.

Definitely get the full length caps if you go that route. Considering that you have already torn the Jeep down so far, getting another frame might just be easier. You can get it done for $1200 and weekend for travel.

Reactions: Bennythebull
I'm the President of my schools Baja team for the upcoming year. I'm planning on doing a lemons car with some alumni after I graduate. My TJ had rust, but luckily not as bad as yours.

Definitely get the full length caps if you go that route. Considering that you have already torn the Jeep down so far, getting another frame might just be easier. You can get it done for $1200 and weekend for travel.
Hey nice! I was Team Captain for my school. Small group of 6 people, but it was a huge learning experience for sure.

I think I've read through your build, seeing posts like yours really helped me keep going when I got frustrated after working on removing a bolt for two hours. My Jeep may look bad now (above), but I hope you'll agree the results of my work have turned out pretty well in the next few posts.

So here comes the scary part - Welding the frame back together. I installed a 240V 50A outlet on the house so I could weld out in the garage. Then I brought one of my buddies back to help me get started with the patches. I ended up getting the wheel arches on both side completely patched, and also a full-length patch for the center of the frame which holds up the transfer case.

While I understand this might seem a little sketchy, I am fairly confident with the results of the job we did on this thing. Spent a lot of time lining everything up, checking the suspension geometry, and ensuring that the skid plate would fit. The welding took a long time. Spent quite a few hours in the middle of 90 degree July days making sure that each piece was fully bonded to the frame.

IMG_9124.jpg

IMG_9125.jpg

IMG_9127.jpg

IMG_9130.jpg

IMG_9140.jpg

IMG_9143.JPG

IMG_9603.jpg

IMG_9605.jpg

IMG_9606.jpg

IMG_9857.jpg

IMG_9861.jpg

IMG_9881.jpg

IMG_9882.jpg

IMG_9886.jpg

IMG_9894.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

If there's anything I've learned during this project, it's that the hype over POR-15 is well justified. When working with metal that has had rust on it, you can easily apply this stuff and man does it STICK! I completely painted the Frame with it and it turned out pretty nice! A big difference from the burnt pizza cheese color that it had when I bought it.

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0120.JPG

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

Wow,

so those are the safe t- caps I keep hearing about or were those replacement frame sections?

Safety Caps have a misleading name. They are just replacement frame sections. No matter what repair pieces you buy, you cut out the old rust. There aren't any pieces on the market that just weld over rust.

Man, you guys got a lot heart! I'm not sure where you are in this now but be sure to remove the upper rear shock bolts before you put the body back on. You have access to heat the nuts with a torch to get the bolts out.
Also, since you have the 4 angry squirrels, seriously think about the LS swap at this point. You are right there!
Looks like good work though!

Reactions: Bennythebull
Man, you guys got a lot heart! I'm not sure where you are in this now but be sure to remove the upper rear shock bolts before you put the body back on. You have access to heat the nuts with a torch to get the bolts out.
Also, since you have the 4 angry squirrels, seriously think about the LS swap at this point. You are right there!
Looks like good work though!
Oh I got those shock bolts out, you'll see in a second. I am considering an engine swap, but to be honest I would like to just drive this thing before anything else, even if it means more work down the line!