Questions about SYE with double cardan driveshaft

Frankm

Have a Rubicon Express double cardavan driveshaft on my 99 TJ and a SYE setup.

Had to replace the u-joints about 8-10 yrs ago and now starting to clatter/shake again. Upon further investigation it appears the u-joints still ok but the splined plate on the front of the driveshaft that bolts to the transfer case output shaft has slip/wear in it. Ordered another splined plate and will disassemble everything when it arrives. Has anyone seen this before? Hoping the splines have worn and the actual output shaft is still ok and not worn. Got 206K on this thing as it s my daily driver and hunting/fishing rig.

Curious if anyone has shortened (cut) Trsfer case output shaft an additional 1/2-1” and gotten splined plate slightly further onto the shaft from the original install when the shaft was cut, drilled and treaded?

Hope this makes sense and appreciate any guidance. Would be happy as heck if new plate and possibly shortening shaft a little more totally takes care of problem. Hope to not have to split/disassemble transfer case and put a new output shaft in it!!

The “plate” as I call it that we ordered for replacement is the Rubicon Express RE1807. Hopefully this add l info helps out. Thx

i think this is referred to as a hack n tap flange. this is more of an SYA (adapter) than an SYE (eliminator). it's gonna have to be pulled apart and the splines inspected.

most use an eliminator kit that changes the tail housing and replaces the slip shaft with a fixed yoke, the JB super short seems to work well for most but there are others.

Yes the flange that RE provided is softer than the tcase output shaft so the splines will get sloppy over time. Getting ready to go to a different SYE now because of that.

Have a Rubicon Express double cardavan driveshaft on my 99 TJ and a SYE setup.

Had to replace the u-joints about 8-10 yrs ago and now starting to clatter/shake again. Upon further investigation it appears the u-joints still ok but the splined plate on the front of the driveshaft that bolts to the transfer case output shaft has slip/wear in it. Ordered another splined plate and will disassemble everything when it arrives. Has anyone seen this before? Hoping the splines have worn and the actual output shaft is still ok and not worn. Got 206K on this thing as it s my daily driver and hunting/fishing rig.

Curious if anyone has shortened (cut) Trsfer case output shaft an additional 1/2-1” and gotten splined plate slightly further onto the shaft from the original install when the shaft was cut, drilled and treaded?

Hope this makes sense and appreciate any guidance. Would be happy as heck if new plate and possibly shortening shaft a little more totally takes care of problem. Hope to not have to split/disassemble transfer case and put a new output shaft in it!!
Does your output shaft/SYE look like this?

d_shaft.jpg

Yes, I believe it’s called a hack and tap. And yes, mine looks the same as the photoed one!

See attached. Thx for help, I m hopeful the plate is “softer” material than the splined output shaft!!