R2.8 Cummins Build

Hey,

First off sorry to hear about your puppy, I got three Huskies and I can't imagine going through that!

Looks good on the build and updates! Glad to hear you are making projects! Have you been able to track anymore fuel economy to see if it's improving?

Thanks
Grant

Yeah we love dogs here and particularly we've gotten into German Short-haired pointers. The pup we kind of acquired from my dad who didn't have a place to put him during the day and this was a free dog that was given away pretty young, had a herniated navel, no shots, and worms when we started keeping him. GSPs are very close, loving and high energy dogs that we find irresistible to love.

Back on topic and like most want to know about MPG. I've been logging it, but not really calculating it much. I've mostly been doing fully loaded or trips with a trailer or just going to work, which seem to be more like 2 or 3 0-60 mph tests and done. The weather has been chilly as well. I've probably been getting low 20s from what I can tell without calculating and averaging. I did a few trips over the holidays and going 80 mph certainly hurts the MPG in a Wrangler. I think that was low 20s for sure. Around March or so I should be getting in my Gobi Roof Rack, so I expect to permanently be in the low 20s or at least until I do an EGR delete and some tuning to get me back to the mid 20s with the rack.

Oh for the KM3s, in the mud my previous tires were better for those specific instances only. It's been a complete mud fest lately and doing steep muddy terrain with a utility trailer sucks. I'm not knocking the the KM3s, but doing slow climbs, I notice that I'm spinning a bit more. If I get some momentum for short stretches, it's not too bad, but it tears up the roads. This is really where automatics and longer wheelbases tend to do better.

Tire Comparison.jpg

Decided to do a quick update on some minor stuff I've been working on. Mostly I've just been re-arranging and trying to organize, but I did add a Smittybilt Overhead Center Console and my Yaesu 8900R, which a temporary mag mount 1/4 wave antenna. I don't have a picture of the center console with the radio yet, but I'll get one eventually.

I added a tablet mount as well. And now I'm in the process of adding an Auxiliary battery because I added the big ARB fridge freezer 78L with slider. I installed one of those really cheap Chinese tailgate tables too and though I haven't been able to use either much, its been fun to install.

The battery I used was a cheap marine AGM group 24 battery I got from rural king and it fits nicely behind the driver's seat. I have a Redarc BCDC1240D charge controller for the battery, which I was going to put in my truck, but I don't have the smaller model yet, so it's going in anyway. I have no idea what I'm going to do for a box though for all of that stuff yet, but I'll likely just wing it this weekend to play with the setup.

I'm now on week 21 waiting on my Gobi stealth Rack and no timing update from Gobi, but this isn't unexpected, just a little frustrating. It would just be nice to know if they're shipping September orders currently or something. I had a dream last night they emailed me.

ARB Fridge and Chinese Tailgate Table.jpg

Yeah. I think there's a few more around here too and definitely a couple guys trying to swap them in.

Looking good! I do want to meet up on the trail at some point once I get my Kubota swap done. Interesting perspective on the spinning in the mud, though I have to wonder if that is just more torque at lower RPM? I know my Liberty CRD diesel is horrible on gravel and loose dirt, no matter how I try to modulate the throttle, she wants to spin and then traction control gets all upset!

I have to go back and look, but did you mention what you gearing is with your Wrangler?

-Grant

Reactions: BugoutJeep
My gearing 3.07s AX-15, 2.72:1 Tcase. I think it's way too fast in 4 low. It's pretty great on road, but the gearing is a bit numerically low. I want to go 3.55s when I add a locker or 2. I also want the Atlas 2 5:1. I wouldn't hate the 4 speed, but it just seems like overkill.

My wife's Prius takes off extremely slowly and seems like it seldom loses traction on take off. I've seen something on YouTube about going slower and not spinning your wheels so you don't tear up the ground. My truck has like a 6:1 first gear and it crawls just under 70:1 and I like it and if I'm anywhere but 1st and 4 low the tires spin all the time if I'm going steep or there's any moisture.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
Which did you get? I have been looking for one but have not seen a "cheap" one.
Multi-Purpose Tailgate Table Rating Support Rack Shelf for Jeep Wrangler JK JKU is the name from pg-matrk for $45.

Placement isn't extremely straightforward, but it's certainly possible. I took some video and I'll throw it on YouTube after Turkey season or some free time.

Reactions: BigWheel88
Looking good! I do want to meet up on the trail at some point once I get my Kubota swap done. Interesting perspective on the spinning in the mud, though I have to wonder if that is just more torque at lower RPM? I know my Liberty CRD diesel is horrible on gravel and loose dirt, no matter how I try to modulate the throttle, she wants to spin and then traction control gets all upset!

I have to go back and look, but did you mention what you gearing is with your Wrangler?

-Grant
Oh and yeah I can't wait for the Kubota to be done. I'm behind on your build, but hopefully I can get caught up soon. It will be cool to do some off-road/on road to compare the 2. The doubler is such a good idea too. I had so much room to move my engine forward, but I used a kit and never even thought of moving the engine forward to add a doubler. I didn't really even start liking a really low 4 low until I was in the middle of my build and was using my truck a lot in 4 low and now I'm hating my stock t-case and the Rubicon t cases are so expensive now.

Don't get me wrong, you've got to have momentum sometimes, but most of the time momentum has gotten me really really stuck.

Temporarily installed the Aux Battery, with a 12V outlet and RedArc BCDC1240D charge controller. I didn't have the right fuses, but had breakers, so that's what's there at the moment. I had to route the wires a bit better (like the ground wire right on top of the positive battery post.

Btw I hated the terminals that I found locally. They were expensive and didn't fit well, so much of this will be completely redone. I didn't have the right size anderson powerpole connectors so I just used massive wire nuts in the meantime with electrical tape and heat shrink. I want to figure out a box to put all of this stuff and I want to integrate an inverter and this will likely be in a separate box with a 12v outlet and USB connectors. There's a special ARB 12v plug that I need to install, but I'm not sure where at the moment. Basically I want to use this setup for sometime until I realize what I really want.

There's a yellow wire there that is currently unhooked, but it will be hooked up to a MC4 connector and it will be used for temporary and permanent Solar connections. My plan is to run 100W on the top of the Jeep and then 2 to 4 50-100 Watt flexible or folding panels with 25 or 50 ft extensions so I can park in the shade, but still top off my battery.

I may be adding a 12v Milwaukee 12V and 18V charger to the mix as well, which I use those tools quite a lot in my Jeep. I have Dewalt stuff as well, but it's normally what I use for home repair type activities.

I took everything out this weekend for some hunting/camping in the rain and it's a good setup. At some point I'll go into detail about my normal load out and setup I like. Btw I was anticipating a lot of trouble getting to my blind/camping spot, though slow in 4Lo the entire time, I didn't spin and you can barely see any tracks. My dad made it in my old F-150 and he was covered in mud. He didn't think he'd make it in until he just put it in 4low and idled his way through the steep, wet stuff.

It's nice that with a compact kit we had a couple of nice meals that we were able to add some mushrooms we found nearby by a rotting tree to go with deer back strap for supper and sausage and eggs for breakfast. I need to also remind myself to throw a spatula into my kit. We normally snack for lunch so we can have a bit more hearty meals.

I wish I could have stayed out longer, but back at a desk, I feel a bit more at ease with the climate controlled office. I was wet and cold and by the end of Sunday was sweating and not enjoying the heat given off by the transmission. I always think that without discomfort in the mix it's hard to be comfortable.

Battery Breaker.jpg

I just got a new computer and decided to start sharing my build. I'm just learning to play with cameras and have no idea how to edit video, but I have enjoyed looking footage and pictures taken by family and others years later and I figured documenting some of this stuff would be fun and could help with troubleshooting later.

These first few videos will be nothing in depth and just quick video from the build. I don't know how to really share these either, but I'll try and eventually figure it out.

Part 1:

Part 2:

More to come.

WOOT! Yes!!! I''m officially subscriber number #3!!!! Thank you so much for posting these!!! Watching Jeep videos on youtube is my own personal addiction, I'm always looking for more of it!!!

-Grant

I've been WAY behind on watching YouTube, because it's turkey hunting season, installing the Aux battery and fridge, mowing, trying to learn to edit, etc.

Just a bit of background, I edited a couple of videos on my 10 year old laptop with no mouse and that was frustrating and playback wasn't quite right, used my wife's 2 year old hauling a** laptop and for some reason kept having errors and playback wasn't right in it and decided I was tired of building desktops and messing with drivers and Windows so we found an open boxed iMac 27" and just decided to bring it home and editing is much smoother, though I'm not as familiar with Mac and don't have any Apple products either.

I started in early August and was driving at the end of October I think. I had stuff pop up that delayed me though and I didn't get some parts until mid to late October. I think the last part of the kit came in November. And then I decided to add some stuff last minute like block heater and new gauges.

I highly recommend a block heater by the way, but they aren't necessary.

I've been WAY behind on watching YouTube, because it's turkey hunting season, installing the Aux battery and fridge, mowing, trying to learn to edit, etc.

Just a bit of background, I edited a couple of videos on my 10 year old laptop with no mouse and that was frustrating and playback wasn't quite right, used my wife's 2 year old hauling a** laptop and for some reason kept having errors and playback wasn't right in it and decided I was tired of building desktops and messing with drivers and Windows so we found an open boxed iMac 27" and just decided to bring it home and editing is much smoother, though I'm not as familiar with Mac and don't have any Apple products either.

I've been using a Mac for years and I do all my video editing on my Mac Mini with an eGPU, let me know if you need help. I'm guessing you are using iMovie, I finally just bought Final Cut Pro, it's expensive, but by far the smoothest and easiest video editing experience I have encountered!

I've been using a Mac for years and I do all my video editing on my Mac Mini with an eGPU, let me know if you need help. I'm guessing you are using iMovie, I finally just bought Final Cut Pro, it's expensive, but by far the smoothest and easiest video editing experience I have encountered!

There's a Pro Apps bundle for education I bought from Apple that was pretty reasonable at $200 and I picked up FCPX in that bundle. I do want to use iMovie because the wife has an iPad so I imagine I could possibly do some basic editing on it, which is all I know how to do anyway at the moment. On the PC laptops I used Lightworks and DaVinci Resolve. There was stuff in Lightworks I didn't quite like, but mainly because it couldn't utilize hardware very well, and then Resolve assumed you had the latest CPU and GPU and was buggy. A buddy suggested backing off a few generations, but I'm on a computer too much at work and when I go home I want to mess with a computer as little as possible.

In the early 2000s I had been given an early to mid 1990s Mac and it was surprisingly capable and stable and I'm hoping the iMac may be relatively slow in several years, but still work similarly to how it does today.

Nice.

This year has been tough for us. I've been hunting the weekends and weather hasn't been cooperating. Also recently we've changed from crops to CRP and there is so much less game now, so our usual routines don't work as well. Honestly I just like being out and scoring a nice gobbler/jake is just a bonus.

We have been scoring lots of morel mushrooms which goes great with some deer I've got in the freezer.

Morels.jpg