R2.8 Cummins Build

Central/Western KY, South West of Louisville.

We have a couple of really good spots so we just check those and then we start keeping an eye out once they produce. We've found in spots that I haven't seen before too, so no idea what's going on. Much of the last few years we saw nothing until May.

I'm #4!

I know the joy, I've taken two so far, everything else takes a back seat to turkey season.
View attachment 90414

Picked one up myself this weekend. No more morels so I gotta eat something.

I worked on this wing bone caller when I got home too. I had some wings in the freezer I cleaned up. Btw they dried and they were much harder to clean vs fresh, but not that bad.

Reactions: S.McArthur
I started with my 1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 4.0L engine, AX-15, NP 231, Dana 30/35 3.07 gears. It's not completely finished, but it's very driveable.

I installed:
-R2.8 Cummins
-Axis Industries Conversion Kit (Adapter, CAC, Radiator, wiring, power steering hoses, etc.)
-1" Body lift
-Stainless brake lines from Classic Tubes
-GenRight extended range tank with skid plate
-Dakota Digital VFD3 with GPS module and DSL-1E, diesel Tach adapter
-Luk HD clutch for the AX-15
-New fluids all around
-15X8 5X4.5/ 4.5BS - Part # PCW51-5866
-4x 33x 10.5 BF Goodrich KM 3s
-Corbeau Sport Reclining Seats
-Rear track bar bushing
-New transmission mount
-Probably more that I'll update as I remember

Here's a few pics not in the correct order. I'll try to explain everything but here's just a basic overview of the basic build. I have a bunch of video on the first part, but toward the end when I was routing it was really like watching grass grow or worse.

View attachment 64189

View attachment 64190

View attachment 64191

View attachment 64192

View attachment 64195

View attachment 64196
Great job...I hope our VM conversion comes out as clean looking as yours looks.....I just wanna stare at it...nice job man.

Thanks for the comment.

From the work I've seen, that conversion is going to look like it was made by Jeep, just sitting in a showroom until now. Heck better considering some functional upgrades.

I can't wait to see you all tackle the electrical. Depending on the sensors that are required for the VM, the electrical step may be what keeps this thing having no real issues for decades to come. There's some great marine wire and sheathing to route wiring that just kills the OEM stuff from what I've read and I hate chasing electrical gremlins down the road, but OEMs are only worried about roughly those first 10 or 15 years while I'm thinking about being 90, driving a Jeep with an old Cummins engine.

Had a big scare on the R2.8 Cummins. From a suggestion of someone else with the R2.8 Cummins, tried the typical blow-by test. The R2.8 Cummins won't pass. The guy I spoke with actually had a bushing fail in his R2.8 Cummins and received a new one under warranty, but he suggested the test. After he spoke with Cummins, they advised this was normal and due to the vacuum pump, not blow-by. The Cummins doesn't seem to burn any motor oil and I'll look for debris in the filters from now on during oil changes and I'm debating to sample oil during changes.

In more fun news, got a Currie Antirock installed over the weekend. Been playing with different mobile solar panels, but no conclusions, other than I like ones with MC4 connectors hard wired in and a USB port. Right now RockPals (18V/5V) 60 W is my favorite. I have 3 60W folding panels I've played with and an old 15W Brunton (I think). The connectors more than anything seems to be the biggest issues. The Allpowers seems to have an odd size output for the 18V portion. I believe it's not the normal 5.5 x 2.1mm connector. I think I can adapt it, but from my experience over roughly a decade with solar, connectors matter a lot, because well adapters tend to suck and there's no weather protection.

What I'm really excited about it is that my Gobi rack was finally charged to my credit card last Friday, so I should be seeing this soon. I've heard a lot of stories about issues with deliver, but I've consistently heard that once charged from Gobi, the rack is just a couple of weeks away from your door. I'm hoping to get this installed quickly and then I'd really like to get the Moryde HD tail gate stuff, because the tailgate has been very whiny lately and grease seems to help for short amounts of time.

It's still a learning process, but it is interesting learning how to edit and how to use cameras and stuff. I just wish now that I'd learned to edit before doing all the camera work.

Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
Good looking pup, I'm assuming is a german shorthair. Great dogs.
Yes. Unfortunately he passed away a couple weeks after that photo, but I have a female GSP as well that's got full papers. He was very lazy, besides liking to nip, but she's crazy energetic and driven, which is sometimes a bit hard to deal with.

We plan to get another male, but I'm not looking forward to puppy training and we're not going to get into breeding them either, though I would likely stud a male.

Dude I hate you :ROFLMAO: ! I just saw your latest video on your channel and that was going to be a name of one of my videos once I did a fill up and could verify my diesel mileage on my TJ Wrangler Kubota swap!

In all seriousness great video, haven't finished it yet but I'm really enjoying them!

-Grant

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Dude I hate you :ROFLMAO: ! I just saw your latest video on your channel and that was going to be a name of one of my videos once I did a fill up and could verify my diesel mileage on my TJ Wrangler Kubota swap!

In all seriousness great video, haven't finished it yet but I'm really enjoying them!

-Grant
I didn't even mean for that to be the title. I meant to just have that quick little statement pop up after a formal title. I figured since it already uploaded that I'd just match that title and pretend that's what I meant to do.

It'll be good to have multiple videos with a similar title imo anyway. I always kinda hated the phrase that "we didn't buy these for fuel economy". It's like a fundamental misconception of vehicle/powertrain design and that so many people think a Jeep design justifies that it gets worse fuel economy than a 1 ton truck is kind of absurd :). It's not just windshield...

It'll be good to have multiple videos with a similar title imo anyway. I always kinda hated the phrase that "we didn't buy these for fuel economy". It's like a fundamental misconception of vehicle/powertrain design and that so many people think a Jeep design justifies that it gets worse fuel economy than a 1 ton truck is kind of absurd :). It's not just windshield...

Preaching to the choir my friend, preaching to the choir 😇! I could not agree more!

Reactions: BugoutJeep
The Gobi roof rack arrived today. Haven't had a chance to do anything but load it on my trailer and the work will begin when I get home tonight. I'm certain the windshield bolts will be a nuisance, but that's just normal Jeep fun.

I'm currently doing an R2.8 swap on my 98 TJ, thus my username. I'm having problems finding where I should put the bracket for the fuel filter and oil filter. Did you put it on the firewall next to the slave cylinder? Also, did the kit from Axis come with the electronic fan? I'm still waiting on my radiator from them and they won't call back or respond to emails.

I'm currently doing an R2.8 swap on my 98 TJ, thus my username. I'm having problems finding where I should put the bracket for the fuel filter and oil filter. Did you put it on the firewall next to the slave cylinder? Also, did the kit from Axis come with the electronic fan? I'm still waiting on my radiator from them and they won't call back or respond to emails.
Yeah the fuel filter bracket isn't clear where to place on the older TJs. I'll grab a picture real quick.

If you got the conversation kit, you'll have the CAC, radiator, electronic fan relay and the bracket stuff. I'll get pictures of the relay and the fuel bracket.

Don't worry they'll get back with you. I'm guessing they're fairly small and maybe at an event for memorial day or something.

IMG_20190521_205134.jpg

There's the fan relay bracket. I think I was the first TJ with that so I'm not sure if that's the best place or not but it seems like a good spot.

IMG_20190521_205156.jpg