Rancho RS5000X Shock Question

Can I put the bump stop on the circular thing that holds the spring in on the rear on the bottom like the front?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lower spring perch? Yes, the bump stop should be attached to there with a hole that you drill and tap for a bolt that goes through the bump stop and secures it to the pad.

The lower spring perch? Yes, the bump stop should be attached to there with a hole that you drill and tap for a bolt that goes through the bump stop and secures it to the pad.

Ok, because I’ve seen a bump stop spacer that goes up top in the rear and I didn’t want to do that. I’m doing 2 inches all around because I have a buddy that is running a 2 inch lift with 33s and it doesn’t rub for him and his driveway is super steep with 6x3 water ruts. They are deeper than any pothole around here and it doesn’t rub going up it. They will make your tires spin because of how deep they are.

Ok, because I’ve seen a bump stop spacer that goes up top in the rear and I didn’t want to do that. I’m doing 2 inches all around because I have a buddy that is running a 2 inch lift with 33s and it doesn’t rub for him and his driveway is super steep with 6x3 water ruts. They are deeper than any pothole around here and it doesn’t rub going up it. They will make your tires spin because of how deep they are.

Don't do the ones that go on the top, that's the wrong way to do it. Drill and tap holes in the lower spring perches and mount the bump stops there. That's the correct way to do it.

Don't do the ones that go on the top, that's the wrong way to do it. Drill and tap holes in the lower spring perches and mount the bump stops there. That's the correct way to do it.

Good, I thought that I would be doing it the wrong way by putting it on the bottom. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Reactions: Chris
On the rear, it is acceptable to extend the bump stops from above. Mine are done that way.

On the rear, it is acceptable to extend the bump stops from above. Mine are done that way.

Is it? I thought it was common practice to do it from the bottom. I guess that's just the front, huh?

Is it? I thought it was common practice to do it from the bottom. I guess that's just the front, huh?
It can be a problem up front because of the smaller diameter of the coil along with the travel arc of the axle can cause the cup to pluck the coils.

The rear coils are larger so the plucking doesn't happen.

However, there is nothing wrong with extending from the axle side. I believe the Currie bumpstops extend from both the top and bottom.

Reactions: Chris
The amount of time with this thread and I think you could have pulled your coils and disconnected your sway bar to figure out exactly what you need for bumpstops. Its really not hard. Plus doing it teaches you a lot on how suspensions work.

I have bumpstops added on the spring perch in the front, and extensions added to the top in the rear.

Reactions: skrelnik