Really nice leather steering wheel cover

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Don't stop reading cause the steering wheel cover in that pic sucks.

I'll post pics of the real thing tomorrow.

My steering wheel has that yucky sticky feeling to it. From being sunbleached. You know that feeling when you can't really slide your fingers across the wheel? Cause it's so disgusting feeling and sticky? LOL!

So I thought I would put a leather cover on it. I really don't like the kind that is like a taco and just wraps around the wheel. I wanted something that was actually stitched to the steering wheel. Like if it came from the factory like that.

I bought this one on Amazon for 10 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018FM4X2K/?tag=wranglerorg-20 Thinking what the hell. It looks kind of cheesy on Amazon. But it's supposedly real leather. And you stitch it yourself. Might be a piece of crap. But I'll give it a try.

Well I got it and it's really nice black leather. That fits a TJ steering wheel perfectly! (You want size medium. That link should already have it selected.) It will probably take about an hour to stitch it up. But I am really impressed with how it looks and feels so far. I'm using a looping stitch. Rather than the cross stitch shown on Amazon. Which I think makes the transition from the outer wheel across the cross member look alot better. Just follow the printed directions that come with it if you want to use a looping stitch. It looks alot nicer IMHO. It looks almost like the steering wheel came with a leather steering wheel from the factory. And for $10! lol.

So no more disgusting gooey feeling when I drive. Thank God! (Was driving me crazy. I can't stand that feeling.) ;) But even if you just want a really nice looking leather steering wheel in your ride. This is a great deal. And looks really nice.

Anxiously awaiting pictures! A leather steering wheel would be nice. The stock one leaves something to be desired.

Nice. I got one of those 'strap-on' covers from walmart, which looks good but is a little to thick for me. I'm gonna give this one a try. Heck, it's the same price as the plastic one I have.

I think my recently purchased donor Jeep has this. It’s quite nice and plan to try and salvage for myself. Let us know how yours turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't stop reading cause the steering wheel cover in that pic sucks.

I'll post pics of the real thing tomorrow.

My steering wheel has that yucky sticky feeling to it. From being sunbleached. You know that feeling when you can't really slide your fingers across the wheel? Cause it's so disgusting feeling and sticky? LOL!

So I thought I would put a leather cover on it. I really don't like the kind that is like a taco and just wraps around the wheel. I wanted something that was actually stitched to the steering wheel. Like if it came from the factory like that.

I bought this one on Amazon for 10 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018FM4X2K/?tag=wranglerorg-20 Thinking what the hell. It looks kind of cheesy on Amazon. But it's supposedly real leather. And you stitch it yourself. Might be a piece of crap. But I'll give it a try.

Well I got it and it's really nice black leather. That fits a TJ steering wheel perfectly! (You want size medium. That link should already have it selected.) It will probably take about an hour to stitch it up. But I am really impressed with how it looks and feels so far. I'm using a looping stitch. Rather than the cross stitch shown on Amazon. Which I think makes the transition from the outer wheel across the cross member look alot better. Just follow the printed directions that come with it if you want to use a looping stitch. It looks alot nicer IMHO. It looks almost like the steering wheel came with a leather steering wheel from the factory. And for $10! lol.

So no more disgusting gooey feeling when I drive. Thank God! (Was driving me crazy. I can't stand that feeling.) ;) But even if you just want a really nice looking leather steering wheel in your ride. This is a great deal. And looks really nice.
I didn't think they made those anymore. I have not seen that kit in 20 years.

I'll be interested to see if you can make the fit around the spokes look decent. I couldn't figure it out when I got the same kit a few months ago.

Last edited:
I will post pics. I promise. :)

Ya. I haven't seen these kits around in a while either. Back in the day they were made out of plastic and had hole patterns in them. And thick plastic ties.

"Fitting around the spokes." That's why I suggest a barrel or loop stitch. You continue the loop stitch over the spoke but only on the front of the leather. So it looks like a continuous stitch. I also tied knots before and after the spoke. To keep it held down properly to the side of the spoke.

But the thing that really caught me was the size. It was a normal day maybe 60. And it fit really nice and tight on the steering wheel when you first wrap it around the steering wheel. Just the way you want it. Our steering wheel size must be standard or something. Cause this thing fits like a glove.

I was convinced that it would not fit around the width of the outside and that I'd be throwing it out. Because it's not advertised as a "Jeep" steering wheel cover. Just a generic with sizes. But it wraps right around with about a 1/4 overlap. Which leaves a nice bump after you stitch it. Try to fold the leather in front over the top of the leather in back. When you start stitching. That way it hides the raw edge of leather. You'll see what I mean when I post pics.

Really nice leather cover for $10. You could even upgrade the thread if you wanted. Although it appears that it will last the lifetime of the cover. Nice heavy nylon.

Thought I'd go for the gray one. Should match up better with the silver bezels on the dash.

I've done these steering wheel covers a few times. They're usually great. Did this $8 cover on the TJ last night. Looks a helluva lot better than it did.

IMG_20181227_191828921.jpg

IMG_20181227_201901721.jpg

So, its this cover just going over what is there, or do you pull the old cover off and replace it? I have the leather (yes, its real leather with actual thread) steering wheel option from the Factory and it too had that sticky feeling. I just worked at cleaning it. Took a couple tries but its pretty good now. You'll get some of the dirt and oil the first time...and you'll be grossed out by how dirty the rag comes off. The vehicle will sit for a bit (like a month) and you'll notice it getting sticky again. I think that is more dirt coming to the surface that was embedded the first time. Anyway, I cleaned mine again...after looking into the Redline replacement cover...and its been good for quite a bit.

As far as cleaning I used some dawn dish soap in a bucket of hot water and a microfiber towel. After your done, don't forget to condition the leather. Its a natural product, and oil is good for it...Just like your hands too much washing will dry them out and crack them.

Reactions: reddvltj
ChrisFix has a vid... may help out...

Instead I had bought a different oem leather tj steering wheel off and ebay (excellent shape) and just replaced mine a couple months ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JMT and jjvw
So, its this cover just going over what is there, or do you pull the old cover off and replace it? I have the leather (yes, its real leather with actual thread) steering wheel option from the Factory and it too had that sticky feeling. I just worked at cleaning it. Took a couple tries but its pretty good now. You'll get some of the dirt and oil the first time...and you'll be grossed out by how dirty the rag comes off. The vehicle will sit for a bit (like a month) and you'll notice it getting sticky again. I think that is more dirt coming to the surface that was embedded the first time. Anyway, I cleaned mine again...after looking into the Redline replacement cover...and its been good for quite a bit.

As far as cleaning I used some dawn dish soap in a bucket of hot water and a microfiber towel. After your done, don't forget to condition the leather. Its a natural product, and oil is good for it...Just like your hands too much washing will dry them out and crack them.

Well, that saves a few bucks here. I didn't know there was a leather wrapped steering wheel option and as mine has the Unlimited Premium package, I took a quick look at the build sheet on it. Yep, leather wrapped wheel. Now to just clean it up.

Reactions: Mike_H
Found this picture in the reviews on Amazon. The customer reported that the paint is peeling off the cover after approximately 1 year of use.
Guess it is not died through, only painted leather.

E148BE22-6B1A-42CF-8AFD-961069755B09.jpeg

Almost bought.. until that last post of the paint coming off. Is there a better quality choice?

Or is the paint peeling off a fluke or false?