Really nice leather steering wheel cover

That's sweet. I wonder if I could get it to fold under like that after the fact? I'm not doing it over though. Way to tedious. lol. Looks like a really nice job man. I don't think black would be to black. It would tie in to your center dash bezel and other black items in the cabin.
Ya I tucked mine under before and sewed around it. You can lift the spoke cover a few mm by slightly pulling up on the top and bottom at the same time. Do not attempt to unscrew and take them off they will break with the airbag still installed. I think your right about the black I had a few min this morning and ran a pic though some editing to see what might look better. They're below.

20190804_072600.jpg

20190804_072647.jpg

20190804_072430.jpg

20190804_072503.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Starting
I purchased one of the Aully Park steering wheel covers for a non-jeep vehicle I own but sent it back. It was okay for the price, but just okay. For the vehicle at issue Wheelskins were a better choice even though they cost more.

Compared side to side Wheelskins are thicker, made from better quality leather and have better thread. If those attributes are more important than price then Wheelskins are the better choice. If price is the driving factor the Amazon covers will work just fine and last quite a while. They just won't look as good.

I purchased one of the Aully Park steering wheel covers for a non-jeep vehicle I own but sent it back. It was okay for the price, but just okay. For the vehicle at issue Wheelskins were a better choice even though they cost more.

Compared side to side Wheelskins are thicker, made from better quality leather and have better thread. If those attributes are more important than price then Wheelskins are the better choice. If price is the driving factor the Amazon covers will work just fine and last quite a while. They just won't look as good.

Those look nice. But 60 bucks?! I could see $30. But 60 bucks? That's a bit much for a hunk of leather with some holes stabbed into it. That you have to sew on yourself. Isn't there a better option in the 30 dollar range?

I only bought this one cause it was the first one I found on Amazon. Assumed leather would be leather. And to be honest it's nice enough. But I see your point. I would like a nicer one. I'll do some searching. $60 just seems outrageous to me. Maybe there's something similar in the $30 range.

There's this. But it's $42. I just don't think my Jeep is luxury enough for that. And it certainly isn't enough of an improvement to redo the cover. It was a long tedious process. Had I bought this in the first place - maybe. But I think the ten dollar one is fine for my Jeep. If I had a like new Jeep then ya. Mines not thrashed or anything. But if I had a brand new looking SE or something in the 03-06 vintage. I could see spending $60. But mines a '99 Sport. I'm fine with the ten dollar one. Feels like leather. And looks good on.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=253273646763

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
For those that don't mind a bit of refinishing work, you can repair the leather if it isn't worn through, flex prime it, and then finish it with SEM Classic Coat for the Dark Slate Gray with Low Luster Clear Color Coat.

I did this one and it looked worse with more wear and dings in the finish than the black one in the first pictures. This is the black one I am doing next.
View attachment 109081View attachment 109082

This is how the DSG turned out after some scuffing, sanding, filling, flex prime and then paint.
View attachment 109083View attachment 109084View attachment 109085

There are a few minor imperfections I missed. I'll do better on the black one and this one is going in a 99 so I'm sure it will be fine.
I wonder what the color of the blackish grey center plastic piece of the dash and the speedo shroud. I have the tan or spice interior with the charcoal looking black contrast pieces. Just wondering what paint color matches them best today.

This thread inspired me to try one of these. I sprung for the Wheelskins. I’m glad I did it feels and looks great.

E4FF968E-8CC0-4D8C-A034-F2A6100611C4.jpeg

Reactions: EROCK and Chris
Is there a specific shape to these, or is it basically just a straight piece of leather with the holes premade? It looks pretty straight forward really and something that could be made for less than $20 with some supplies from a craft or fabric store.

I just ordered the cover the OP linked too. I really like the idea of tucking the over on the spokes on the basic two spoke steering that a few others did, and it's the same one I have. I'm going to do that for sure.

I found this video, and using this hook tool makes a ton of sense, as it seems WAY easier on your fingers.

They're square and flat out of the box but key is the stretching involved. I put a wheelskins cover on mine. Had the wheel off already, let it sit in the sun with the new cover stretched over it and after an hour when it was hot and pliable, started sewing it up.

Reactions: L J
My steering wheel has a leather cover. Unfortunately, after 15 years it has worn through the leather in one spot, where I typically grasp the wheel. Does anyone have suggestions for repairing or replacing the leather cover ?

My steering wheel has a leather cover. Unfortunately, after 15 years it has worn through the leather in one spot, where I typically grasp the wheel. Does anyone have suggestions for repairing or replacing the leather cover ?
Disregard. I wasn’t aware replacements were so readily available.

Just dyed my light grey leather wrap I bought off amazon 4mths ago to match the oem color. Came out well! Very easy to do the dye was 7 bucks at hobbies lobby and the sealer was 7 also. Looks oem again

View attachment 124035

That looks sweet. I also like how you were able to tuck the cover under the two arms of the steering wheel. I could not get one side to fit. So one side of mine is tucked and one is stitched. Oh well. lol.

I did mine the other day. This is very time consuming if you want it nice and tight. I don't totally love how I did the thread near the spokes, but overall, it looks decent, and feels great. I used a little hook tool to pull the thread tight after every 6-8 loops. This took me over 2 hours, but I also pulled the thread out a few times in spots and did it over until I liked it.

1112190807_HDR.jpg

I did mine the other day. This is very time consuming if you want it nice and tight. I don't totally love how I did the thread near the spokes, but overall, it looks decent, and feels great. I used a little hook tool to pull the thread tight after every 6-8 loops. This took me over 2 hours, but I also pulled the thread out a few times in spots and did it over until I liked it.

View attachment 125026

It is f%cking tedious! I spent about an hour. Your's turned out great. Can you not get the leather to slip between the seam on the spokes? One of mine did and one of mine didn't. So it looks a little cockeyed. But I wasn't going to spend another hour on it. I'm terrible at tedious things. But all in all mine looks and more importantly feels much better. Mine had been sun baked so bad it was sticky.

Originally, I bought the "M" wrap, but because I had removed my original steering wheel cover it was too big, so I ordered a "M-", and that is what is in the pic above. It came out ok, and it is tucked under the spoke covers as far as I could tuck it under, but I wanted the steering wheel fatter so just a little while ago, I wrapped the original "M" cover I bought over the other one. I like it better now, not only is the steering wheel fatter, but I got a little bit better and faster at doing it. Also, the larger cover fits better under the two spokes. This one came out quite nice.

It's very easy to get the hole count off from the front to the back after going behind the spokes. I did that on the original wrap, but I made sure not to on the wrap I did today.

I took a pic, but it sucked. I'll get a better one tomorrow.

My oem steering wheel felt ‘sticky’ for lack of a better term, wasn’t worn but didn’t feel right so I bought one of these. Matches my interior trim and is very comfortable. No stitching required. But then I don’t have leather seats either.
BE8127A5-B634-4DAC-A3B5-DF368232F026.jpeg