Rear Disc Conversion Brake Lines

XCRN

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I am wrapping up a disc brake conversion on my Dana 35 TJ. I had a question regarding the brake lines and how other people have done it. I am using ZJ components and using new ZJ rear soft lines.

This is not my first time doing a brake conversion on a Jeep so it was quick getting to this point. I did it once before on my 8.25 equipped $500 XJ but what I did to hook up the line was wound the hard line around a few times to “shorten” it. It has worked for 2 years now but is REALLY jankey and sketchy.

But I kind of care about the TJ and want to do it in a less sketchy way. I was thinking cutting the line a few inches and re-flaring.

But I am curious if there is a better way to do this that is usually done, no point in re-engamaneering the wheel.

You can cut and flare the existing hard line to use those soft lines you got or purchase hard/soft lines for a disc brake jeep. Lots of options out there.

I used the ZJ rear hoses on my conversion. I cut a piece of steel and welded it in place across the rear bottom shock mount after drilling and tapping it to accept the hose block. I cut and re-flared each hard line into the hose block. Worked out nicely and looks stock.

About 20 years ago I also performed a disc brake conversion on a 98 XJ with C8.25. Initially cut and double flared the hard lines until I replaced the both hard lines at the brake line split with stainless brake lines.
had two 99s. Miss the little box, very underrated.

I ended up going the route of cutting a re-flaring. I made some mounts out of square tubing and rivot nuts, welded to the axle tube and bolted on. Dont judge me on my welds. They hold and thats what matters right now. When ever I get the whole axle out this winter I will just go over with the tig and “pretty” them up.

I did not flare them yet since I realized I sucked at bending and flaring that day since I tried to fix a brake line on a lifted Fiero I got. So I am just getting food for my mechanic buddy to do them for me instead with new lone. But got one side kind of where it needs to go, just did not have enough on the end to flare with the fitting.

7DFC1B04-200A-410E-AC54-D07F7B391207.jpeg

B7C40E72-EDB9-4EF7-96E5-13D8D31A3501.jpeg

BAF63809-604A-4114-8768-96192D7D0E3E.jpeg

612B8184-ECF6-46EE-9C26-1CF75C7DC615.jpeg

5F08CAA9-3C04-4226-B2AC-BB75EAF20198.jpeg

I know it can be intimidating to work on brake lines. Nobody wants to mess them up. It really is pretty simple though. You should get some brake line and the tools and practice, I bet you'll have it down in less than an hour.