Rear shock sizing help needed (real numbers provided)

If you are not married to that track bar or the JJ you might look a for one with a smaller joint or rod end. The mount would be narrower too. Hard to tell just looking at pic but maybe your mount can be re-drilled to lower and then trimmed. In any case, I wouldn't worry about gaining the last 1/4" or so, the tub will self-clearance after a couple hits.

Reactions: Irun
bilstein 5125 33-230443 is what I use for 2.5" and under lifts, including stock springs with a budget boost. you will need a new, recycled barpin or barpin eliminator. the ome n67 are stiff as crap in comparison.
if you are packing a bunch of weight you will need 33-185606

that spring is just under 5.5" stack height and will require 2" bumpstop extension, you have only 4.5" with a 1" puck. 2" also matches the 14" collapsed shock length of the 443 and 606 shock.

I have a new set of 3" Nth Degree springs that I'm going to test fit. However, this will result in 4.25" lift on a 31" tire. I already know I won't like the look!
I was going to say, you’re heading to 3” of lift.

I was going to say, you’re heading to 3” of lift.
Trying to avoid this, if at all possible. I'm liking the current stance, for the rear.

20210401_224345.jpg

20210401_224320.jpg

bilstein 5125 33-230443 is what I use for 2.5" and under lifts, including stock springs with a budget boost. you will need a new, recycled barpin or barpin eliminator. the ome n67 are stiff as crap in comparison.

that spring is just under 5.5" stack height and will require 2" bumpstop extension, you have only 4.5" with a 1" puck. 2" also matches the 14" collapsed shock length of the 443 and 606 shock.
The H&R spring stack height info is useful and something I was unsure of (I was guessing 4 - 5"). Adding in the additional 1" of bumpstop (for 2" total), plus the addition of a bar pin eliminator, means I'm going to pull the springs, cycle the suspension, and verify new numbers. Just to be on the safe side.

I'm planning to keep this light, so thanks for pointing me to the Bilstein 5125 443 shocks. Not that it's a major factor, but these have a smaller body, which means less trimming of the coil bucket for clearance. The OME shocks, by comparison, have a much larger body. (y)

It sounds like your getting some good advice here. I had similar shock needs in the past with my BDS 2" lift. I ended up using a Bilstien 5160 remote reservoir shock 25-193145 in the rear. It compresses to 13.42 and extends to 21.96 and rides great. In my research I found you will almost certainly need either a remote reservoir or twin tube shock to get those measurements. Monotubes don't usually get that kind of extension. The option put forth by David is the best option I've seen close to that size in a monotube.

Reactions: JMT and Irun
could it use a straight reloc bracket instead of the angled? if you have 1/2" left angled and could get it level that might open up to 3/4 or a hair more for you.............would that change anything enough to matter?

The H&R spring stack height info is useful and something I was unsure of (I was guessing 4 - 5"). Adding in the additional 1" of bumpstop (for 2" total), plus the addition of a bar pin eliminator, means I'm going to pull the springs, cycle the suspension, and verify new numbers. Just to be on the safe side.

I'm planning to keep this light, so thanks for pointing me to the Bilstein 5125 443 shocks. Not that it's a major factor, but these have a smaller body, which means less trimming of the coil bucket for clearance. The OME shocks, by comparison, have a much larger body. (y)
the stock spring stack height is 3.75". I have a strut compressor I've used to check them, some years ago, I was putting every single spring I removed and installed to get actual measurements beyond calipers and a calculator.
The 443 mounts can up, you won't need to trim at all unless you put a flat belly on there and start pitching the pinion more than you need for a stock skid and sye. at that point, I'd be welding on another mount that can also be used to match the 2" bumpstop even if the collapsed length ends up being 15"

the stock spring stack height is 3.75". ...

If you're curious, JKS told me their 3" progressive springs compress to 7.75" in front and 4.5" in the rear. I've been extremely happy with my 3" so far. The OP might want to consider their 2" if things don't work out with the H&Rs.

the stock spring stack height is 3.75". I have a strut compressor I've used to check them, some years ago, I was putting every single spring I removed and installed to get actual measurements beyond calipers and a calculator.
The 443 mounts can up, you won't need to trim at all unless you put a flat belly on there and start pitching the pinion more than you need for a stock skid and sye. at that point, I'd be welding on another mount that can also be used to match the 2" bumpstop even if the collapsed length ends up being 15"
I have a Savvy skid installed, so the pinion is rotated accordingly. This is why I ended up going with the Currie angled track bar bracket. Building a TJ on 31's, with a lower lift, max travel, and max clearance is proving challenging. I've got the tub, gas tank, and trans skid numbers where I want them.
JPalYoH.jpg

My original goal of 9 - 10" shock travel was admittedly overly optimistic. However, if I can get between 8 - 9", I can live with that. Thanks to your help, I'm feeling much better about the latter!

Last edited:
If you're curious, JKS told me their 3" progressive springs compress to 7.75" in front and 4.5" in the rear. I've been extremely happy with my 3" so far. The OP might want to consider their 2" if things don't work out with the H&Rs.
What size tires are you running? I do have a set of 3" Nth degree springs I could install. However, running a 31" tire with them would mean too much wheel well space. I did a test fit on a previous Jeep on a 31" equivalent metric tire and here's what it looked like, i.e. a Jeep on stilts.
pPcau9N.jpg

Trim for the OME, but run the Billie

It sounds like your getting some good advice here. I had similar shock needs in the past with my BDS 2" lift. I ended up using a Bilstien 5160 remote reservoir shock 25-193145 in the rear. It compresses to 13.42 and extends to 21.96 and rides great. In my research I found you will almost certainly need either a remote reservoir or twin tube shock to get those measurements. Monotubes don't usually get that kind of extension. The option put forth by David is the best option I've seen close to that size in a monotube.
I did start looking at remote reservoir shocks. However, before spending money there, I'd probably just outboard and run a custom tuned shock. For now though, I'm going to take @David Kishpaugh advice. He's built enough of these that he knows what works. Once I get the bar pin eliminators, I'll add additional bumpstop, get new measurements, then order shocks. This seems like it's taking forever, but it's the correct way to go. Measure twice, pay once! :)

Reactions: Fargo and JMT
I did start looking at remote reservoir shocks. However, before spending money there, I'd probably just outboard and run a custom tuned shock. For now though, I'm going to take @David Kishpaugh advice. He's built enough of these that he knows what works. Once I get the bar pin eliminators, I'll add additional bumpstop, get new measurements, then order shocks. This seems like it's taking forever, but it's the correct way to go. Measure twice, pay once! :)
Removing the bar pins and pressing the sleeves in the upper bushing is a PITA, fyi.

Edit: the Bilsteins appear to not have the bar pins, so crisis avoided, lol!

What shock would you recommend for the front with 2.5" of lift and 2" of bumpstop extension. I measured from where the barpin mounts on axle to the mounting hole in the shock tower and came up with 15.5" at full bump.

What shock would you recommend for the front with 2.5" of lift and 2" of bumpstop extension. I measured from where the barpin mounts on axle to the mounting hole in the shock tower and came up with 15.5" at full bump.

My focus will goto the free length of the coil @2.5" to keep them seated. Rough country progressive has the longest 2.5" coil @20" which is the same and a tad more than most 4" lift springs. They can be set up with 11" travel using shock relocation towers.

24.5" extended shock length unseats the 20" freelength front springs. I most often use the 180 5100 seires and 337 5125 bilstein. 5125's mount can up and do not come with a barpin.

You'll find ome N66L have a 15.5/26.5" length. The springs will be unseated nearly 3".

Reactions: CV04TJR and zebra12