Rear Spring Relocation Without Adding Height?

This^^^

Just remove the relocation bracket, ACOS system, run 4” RockJock Springs +1.25” BL and 1”MML. Don’t worry about the arch in the rear. It doesn’t effect ride quality. Springs don’t do that. Shocks do that. After your down to 4” SL, make all your adjustments to CA’s and TB’s and bumpstops, call it a day and be happy running 35’s.
So put the stiffy, 200lb + RE 4.5" back in front and rear and never worry about the rear losing height with a load
or
Buy new RockJock
https://www.rockjock4x4.com/CE-9132FP-JK-4D-4-Lift-or-TJ-LJ-JK-2D-5-Lift-Front-Coil-Springs-Pairand
https://www.rockjock4x4.com/CE-9131...79.1281768137.1637629465-408309517.1637629465
..adjust my load requirements and flex away..

Thinking aloud.

Wish I'd get some Black Friday notices from all the vendors where my Wishlists reside.o_O

Reactions: Tob
If your ride height with the springs you have will be about what you want once you've removed the brackets and spacers, I would just keep them and save yourself the $500.

Reactions: NOTNSUV and JMT
So put the stiffy, 200lb + RE 4.5" back in front and rear and never worry about the rear losing height with a load
or
Buy new RockJock
https://www.rockjock4x4.com/CE-9132FP-JK-4D-4-Lift-or-TJ-LJ-JK-2D-5-Lift-Front-Coil-Springs-Pairand
https://www.rockjock4x4.com/CE-9131...79.1281768137.1637629465-408309517.1637629465
..adjust my load requirements and flex away..

Thinking aloud.

Wish I'd get some Black Friday notices from all the vendors where my Wishlists reside.o_O
That’s a question only you answer. It’s for your needs. I don’t carry a bunch of crap, but I have hooked up our teardrop trailer to my 4” RockJock + 1.25” BL and the slight sag didn’t bother me. You know what you carry though.

Reactions: NOTNSUV
If your ride height with the springs you have will be about what you want once you've removed the brackets and spacers, I would just keep them and save yourself the $500.
Yup. Think I'll do that and go with the Rancho 5000 shocks to replace the 5100s that my buddies swear are shot. If I hate the springs in the future it's easy enough.

Speaking of buddies and shocks.. one of them tells me the Rancho 7000MT is far superior to the 5000 that many here swear by. He says they're monotube and lifetime warranty as evidence. I've seen no reference to the 7000 here and not finding them for TJ/LJ.
He has a J-something, I can't keep it straight. The 3.8 version. Thought I'd run it up the pole.

Thanks gang.

Yup. Think I'll do that and go with the Rancho 5000 shocks to replace the 5100s that my buddies swear are shot. If I hate the springs in the future it's easy enough.

Speaking of buddies and shocks.. one of them tells me the Rancho 7000MT is far superior to the 5000 that many here swear by. He says they're monotube and lifetime warranty as evidence. I've seen no reference to the 7000 here and not finding them for TJ/LJ.
He has a J-something, I can't keep it straight. The 3.8 version. Thought I'd run it up the pole.

Thanks gang.
Is it a 4 door? My sense has been that the 7000 is meant for a heavier vehicle than a TJ. We don't see them very often around here.

Is it a 4 door? My sense has been that the 7000 is meant for a heavier vehicle than a TJ. We don't see them very often around here.
Yup, 4 door. JKUR or whatever that vintage is. I'll stick with what I get around here. The little I've driven my new LJ it's all really stiff, harsh I would say, but then I've nothing to compare to except my XJ and it rides like a Caddy.

Thanks gang.
I bought into the lie that Monotube shocks are better. Better at what? Lasting longer? Who cares. The Bilstein 5200’s are monotube. Do you like them?

The Rancho shock that many rave about around here is the 5000X, not the 5000. The 5000 rides like sh—. I’ve had two sets of 5000X (55239/55241 and 55525/55526). I do t know anything about the 7000, but I’m happy with the 5000X and I’ve run Bilstein 5100,’s, KYB, Stock, Fox 2.0, and a few others.

Yup, 4 door. JKUR or whatever that vintage is. I'll stick with what I get around here. The little I've driven my new LJ it's all really stiff, harsh I would say, but then I've nothing to compare to except my XJ and it rides like a Caddy.
Shocks are tough to recommend. I quit doing it.

The same ones on two different weight rigs will behave very differently. The same shock setup with different travel biases will behave very differently.

Shocks are tough to recommend. I quit doing it.

The same ones on two different weight rigs will behave very differently. The same shock setup with different travel biases will behave very differently.
The same shock setup in the same rig with different butts in the seat will perform differently...

I bought into the lie that Monotube shocks are better. Better at what? Lasting longer? Who cares. The Bilstein 5200’s are monotube. Do you like them?

The Rancho shock that many rave about around here is the 5000X, not the 5000. The 5000 rides like sh—. I’ve had two sets of 5000X (55239/55241 and 55525/55526). I do t know anything about the 7000, but I’m happy with the 5000X and I’ve run Bilstein 5100,’s, KYB, Stock, Fox 2.0, and a few others.
Well you know me well enuf by now to know that I'm smart enough to know what I don't know.. and shocks is another.:rolleyes:

And yes, I simply forgot to put the 'x' after the 5000. I already have them in my Wishlist somewhere, complete with the p/n you show (I think you gave them to me earlier).. so thanks. I guess my measurements will tell me which of those you've used that I need.
I'm thinking the 5100 Bilsteins were probably correct for 4.5" lift before the relo and ACOS were installed.

The same shock setup in the same rig with different butts in the seat will perform differently...
Yep. And experience will also change what you think of a shock. Once upon a time I liked the 5000x. Now I don't. But I don't know what to recommend anymore that is accessible to most.

Reactions: psrivats
Yep. And experience will also change what you think of a shock. Once upon a time I liked the 5000x. Now I don't. But I don't know what to recommend anymore that is accessible to most.
My ass isn't fine tuned enough to feel anything other than drastic changes. I do know the Bilsteins feel crude to me so I know what I don't like. Whatever I end up with will stay there til it leaks, falls apart, or fails in some way, it's just not that big a deal. If they bolt up, cush the ride, and work to their limits, I'm happy.

My ass isn't fine tuned enough to feel anything other than drastic changes. I do know the Bilsteins feel crude to me so I know what I don't like. Whatever I end up with will stay there til it leaks, falls apart, or fails in some way, it's just not that big a deal. If they bolt up, cush the ride, and work to their limits, I'm happy.
Based on what I've experienced, my ideal bolt on shock might be one that had the slow speed comfort of the 5000x and the high speed control of the 5100.

Reactions: Mike_H
Me either... I've tried all the accessible ones... And don't really like any of them
and I thought you were happy with the BM.
I just finished the exhaustive thread you guys did on shocks. Only the first read I'm sure. I'm ok with cheap wine and American lager beer so I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with SJ BM to replace the 5100. Maybe I'll go 5100 front and BM rear like someone tried on that thread.
BTW: I might actually be getting the jist on cycling... man, I'm S L O W.

Reactions: TJ Starting
and I thought you were happy with the BM.
I just finished the exhaustive thread you guys did on shocks. Only the first read I'm sure. I'm ok with cheap wine and American lager beer so I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with SJ BM to replace the 5100. Maybe I'll go 5100 front and BM rear like someone tried on that thread.
BTW: I might actually be getting the jist on cycling... man, I'm S L O W.
They do ride pretty well...but I've had some quality issues and they were made MUCH worse by poor customer service. I hope yours are better. I hope my replacements last longer...

They do ride pretty well...but I've had some quality issues and they were made MUCH worse by poor customer service. I hope yours are better. I hope my replacements last longer...
I did read about that issue. Fingers crossed.

Maybe I'll try one of the vendors other than Amazon.. Summit maybe.

Am I getting somewhere?
No springs, trackbar loosely connected, no wheels. Looked the same with wheels. Just touching cup with lower bump, 3/4" shock shaft but it's 1/2" at full compression.
My untrained eye says these shocks are correct length after removing ACOS that was adding 2".
Shocks 14.25" compressed
24.25 extended.
15.25" as pictured. Top of barpin to bottom of upper stop.

PXL_20211124_201601032.jpg

PXL_20211124_201521232.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: pc1p