Reasons not to use a poly body lift

Jezza

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I think this is common knowledge for a lot of us, however there are still a few individuals installing these poly lift spacers. I purchased this Wrangler a few days ago, and after getting it on a lift and inspecting it I found several of the body mounts were missing or loose. After closer inspection I realized that someone in the past had installed a body lift and used poly spacers. The spacers had totally disintegrated on all of the forward mounts leaving only the two at the rear intact. This caused the body to drop onto the mounts and the bolts were left loose 1". The loose bolts fell out in some areas letting the mount lower sections drop as well. Some of the mounts are gone completely top and bottom. Furthermore when the body dropped the fan contacted the fan shroud at some point damaging the shroud, fan and coolant bottle. I had poly mounts on my other TJ as well, and could never keep the bolts tight. Don't use these mounts. They have no benefit over using a rigid material and a whole bunch of disadvantages.

20220215_112256.jpg

20220215_112329.jpg

20220215_112351.jpg

20220215_112410.jpg

20220215_112458.jpg

Geeze, I'd seen them compress and deform, but I hadn't seen them disintegrate like that before.

Reactions: Jezza
Not to mention they squeak. I asked about the poly bushings in my Rancho shocks and if they would be a problem and was told by misc people here that they would be fine. I hope so....

Could be you got a Chinese brand of junk but what isn't these days....

I occasionally run across a vehicle that has something so f'ed up it makes me wonder how in the world somebody was driving that and thought it was ok. This is one of those.

I have no way of knowing. They were installed by the previous owner and possibly even the previous previous owner.

I occasionally run across a vehicle that has something so f'ed up it makes me wonder how in the world somebody was driving that and thought it was ok. This is one of those.
Not much surprises me anymore. Once you have seen things like two car halves put together with sheet metal screws you will never be the same again.

I have no way of knowing. They were installed by the previous owner and possibly even the previous previous owner.
Not to mention they squeak. I asked about the poly bushings in my Rancho shocks and if they would be a problem and was told by misc people here that they would be fine. I hope so....

Hey buddy. It says it was made in Mexico right on it!!! What the hell??

• Haha
Reactions: ejay
I’m not going to defend the use of poly body lift pucks, but whoever installed or uninstalled that body lift did not know what they were doing. It looks like they gave up half way through.

I’m not going to defend the use of poly body lift pucks, but whoever installed or uninstalled that body lift did not know what they were doing. It looks like they gave up half way through.
I think the poly gave up half way through and the kit began to uninstall itself.

The problem with these soft poly spacers, like JKS sells, is that they can never reach the proper torque needed for the body mounts. They will keep squishing (reducing the body lift height) until something like this happens.

Those who don't try to reach the proper torque value, which is most, will eventually have a body that is loose on the frame. This will lead to rattles and the potential failure of spot welds. This is what happened to mine and a reason why I switched to an aluminum body lift puck.

Reactions: Lax22
The problem with these soft poly spacers, like JKS sells, is that they can never reach the proper torque needed for the body mounts. They will keep squishing (reducing the body lift height) until something like this happens.

Those who don't try to reach the proper torque value, which is most, will eventually have a body that is loose on the frame. This will lead to rattles and the potential failure of spot welds. This is what happened to mine and a reason why I switched to an aluminum body lift puck.
I have the daystar 1-inch poly kit on my TJ, and it’s slightly better with its internal metal sleeves. When I install the Genright raised body mounts, I plan to go back to the factory rubber Mounts and use aluminum pucks on the other 5 mounts.

I can't believe you guys are shitting all over poly body lifts. Nobody here has even mentioned their best feature. After you bottom out hard enough a few times on some whoops they poke these handy little drain holes in the floor of the rear tub. Washing it out has never been so easy!

IMG_20220216_180744031_HDR.jpg

Reactions: tworley and jjvw
I can't believe you guys are shitting all over poly body lifts. Nobody here has even mentioned their best feature. After you bottom out hard enough a few times on some whoops they poke these handy little drain holes in the floor of the rear tub. Washing it out has never been so easy!

View attachment 310192

Mine has those. Thanks @JKS!
20190506_145012.jpg
20190506_145023.jpg

View attachment 310192
That isn't a poly mount problem, that is a too long of a bolt problem. Properly done, the rear 4 mounts use a shorter bolt than is used under the grill. Dorman finally got it correct after screwing it up for many years by copying the screwed-up Jeep part numbers but here is how it is done correctly.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-79156-924-356.aspx

When the aftermarket body lift is done by the less knowing, they don't always catch that the rear 4 body mount bolts are shorter and consequently just size all of the 7/16" bolts longer than the one under the grill by the amount of the body lift or typically 1" longer or sometimes in the case of a 1.25" body lift, they add that much.

Your picture is the consequence of knowledge does not equal understanding.