Recommendations for Upgrading Stereo & Speakers

destacy

I just bought a 2000 Wrangler. I love it but unfortunately only the drivers front dash speaker works. The passenger side does not neither does the sound bar up top. I simply want to be able to play music / podcasts from my phone, and have the speakers work. I’m a teacher on a budget, so I’d like to do it myself. Any recommendations for the stereo replacement and speakers that would be a somewhat simple install? Thanks!

I am in the process of redoing the audio in my 2000. I am probably over what would be considered a budget install. I also reached out to some knowledgeable people on here for advice. I added new 5 1/4 speakers in the dash and soundbar. You can go bigger in the soundbar (6.5 maybe?) but I decided to spend the extra money for a better quality 5 1/4 than lower quality larger speakers.

To swap the front speakers to 5 1/4 you need an adapter, they are cheap on Amazon or eBay. I actually have a spare set I can send you if you want to pay shipping, but new it was only $12 with free shipping on eBay so I don’t think I would really be saving you much money.

I went with a cheap Amazon media player that supports car play. I have my top off whenever possible so I figure if someone wants to steal it, I won’t be too upset. I went double DIN which requires a kit with a new dash center piece. So more $$. I assume they have single DIN options, but I never looked, because I knew I was going double.

For speakers I went with Blam, a lot of people here rave about the polks and they are priced right. If you search for Polk in the forum search you will find the specifics.

I put an amp buried in my dash, it is out of sight and it would take too much work to steal. That’s how I am getting good sound with a cheap ass head unit. The amp was about $100 on Amazon.

I don’t have a sub yet, the plan is a powered sub with built in amp that will get bolted inside the back seat frame. Once again out of sight. But honestly it already sounds so much better that I am not in a rush and have other priorities for Jeep funds at the moment.

I also had speakers that weren’t working. I went ahead and ran new wire to all four. I wasn’t sure if it was the speakers or wire causing the problem but with the amp I wanted a larger gauge wire anyway.

You can choose what you want to do and spend less than I did. I think I have spent about $650 so far with the new media player, dash kit, 4 speakers, amp & installation kit, wire and various odds and ends.

Check out Crutchfield.com. Lots of choices and you get free adapters, so no cutting wires. You can get a high powered head unit and buy the ReadyHarness service so it's plug and play also.
RUBI speakers.jpg

Rubi speakers1.jpg

I am in the process of redoing the audio in my 2000. I am probably over what would be considered a budget install. I also reached out to some knowledgeable people on here for advice. I added new 5 1/4 speakers in the dash and soundbar. You can go bigger in the soundbar (6.5 maybe?) but I decided to spend the extra money for a better quality 5 1/4 than lower quality larger speakers.

To swap the front speakers to 5 1/4 you need an adapter, they are cheap on Amazon or eBay. I actually have a spare set I can send you if you want to pay shipping, but new it was only $12 with free shipping on eBay so I don’t think I would really be saving you much money.

I went with a cheap Amazon media player that supports car play. I have my top off whenever possible so I figure if someone wants to steal it, I won’t be too upset. I went double DIN which requires a kit with a new dash center piece. So more $$. I assume they have single DIN options, but I never looked, because I knew I was going double.

For speakers I went with Blam, a lot of people here rave about the polks and they are priced right. If you search for Polk in the forum search you will find the specifics.

I put an amp buried in my dash, it is out of sight and it would take too much work to steal. That’s how I am getting good sound with a cheap ass head unit. The amp was about $100 on Amazon.

I don’t have a sub yet, the plan is a powered sub with built in amp that will get bolted inside the back seat frame. Once again out of sight. But honestly it already sounds so much better that I am not in a rush and have other priorities for Jeep funds at the moment.

I also had speakers that weren’t working. I went ahead and ran new wire to all four. I wasn’t sure if it was the speakers or wire causing the problem but with the amp I wanted a larger gauge wire anyway.

You can choose what you want to do and spend less than I did. I think I have spent about $650 so far with the new media player, dash kit, 4 speakers, amp & installation kit, wire and various odds and ends.

Thank you so much! I will definitely look into these options!

I recently did a new sound system. Based on recs of audiophiles on this site, I went with and I am very impressed with Blam relax 130mm (5.25”) speakers; Coaxial for sound bar and component for the dash. The dash tweeters are mounted on top corners aimed at driver’s head. They are low impedance (2ohm) and have loud clear sound easily heard at highway speeds, top down. Mine are powered by a 50 watts x 4 channel amp. I also have a Kicker 10” 180watt powered subwoofer which is nice but I think the speakers are the important part.

It really depends on what you want out of your system and how much you are willing to spend. I would say get the speakers fixed first, by getting 5.25" all around with probably Kicker speakers. If you want a top of the line system, get a Alpine PDX-V9. But, if you go the Alpine route, skip the entry level kickers. If you just want a decent sounding system though, the kickers and an aftermarket headunit will do. It's when you start wanting to add a subwoofer is when a deeper investment and consideration occurs.

For the front speakers, to modify them from the weak 4x6 to the 5.25's, you just need this super cheap adapter. This is probably the #1, speaker and audio modification for a TJ audio system.
https://www.amazon.com/Pair-Adapters-Compatible-Wrangler-SPKBRK004/dp/B07BHXQ629/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:

I’m curious what Amp you got, and where under the dash you mounted it? Did you take any pics?

I’ve got a Pioneer single din, it’s ok and all, but I got my son a double din with Car Play for his JK, and now I’m in, ha.

The amp, I’m curious about yours you mentioned.

I recently did a new sound system. Based on recs of audiophiles on this site, I went with and I am very impressed with Blam relax 130mm (5.25”) speakers; Coaxial for sound bar and component for the dash. The dash tweeters are mounted on top corners aimed at driver’s head. They are low impedance (2ohm) and have loud clear sound easily heard at highway speeds, top down. Mine are powered by a 50 watts x 4 channel amp. I also have a Kicker 10” 180watt powered subwoofer which is nice but I think the speakers are the important part.

I’m curious about your setup mentioned.

1. You have 5 1/4 in tbe dash, that with adapter I get and am doing.

2. You said you have tweeters up on the dash (assuming in the corners?). Any pics?

3. Were the tweeters and 5 1/4 a set? Did you buy separately?

4. You said powered by 4 channel amp. I would assume that’s 2 sound bar, 2 dash and 2 tweeeter? That’s 6, how do you do that?

I’m going to do a powered sub under the back seat, so I get that and it’s own amp. Just not sure about the tweeters etc, much appreciated on the detail.

On the recommendation of other members I went with the Sony DSX-M80 Marine receiver from Crutchfield. It has 45 RMS watts per channel and a sub output. I went with Polk Audio speakers, OEM size in front because I really didn't want to cut metal out of my dash, and 6.5 in the sound bar, the 6.5s are the $179 Polks with the grill cutout that I aimed to the front, and they sound great, they fit tight but no cutting was necessary. The system alone W/O sub sounds decent but I had an old Blaupunkt sub laying around so I stuck it in and it sounds fantastic. I spent less than 1/2 what the system in my Superduty cost and it sounds better, and clean, Everything from Crutchfield including their adapter harnesses made it fast and easy.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I’m curious about your setup mentioned.

1. You have 5 1/4 in tbe dash, that with adapter I get and am doing.

2. You said you have tweeters up on the dash (assuming in the corners?). Any pics?

3. Were the tweeters and 5 1/4 a set? Did you buy separately?

4. You said powered by 4 channel amp. I would assume that’s 2 sound bar, 2 dash and 2 tweeeter? That’s 6, how do you do that?

I’m going to do a powered sub under the back seat, so I get that and it’s own amp. Just not sure about the tweeters etc, much appreciated on the detail.
The BLAM Relax 130mm (5.25") speakers come with a tweeter and woofer. They can be had as coaxial (the tweeter mounted over the center of the woofer) or component (in which case the woofer and tweeter are separate). The component tweeter and woofer run on one channel, just like the coaxial. I think many speakers are available as coaxial or component. Here's a link to the post in my build thread with pics and wiring schematic for the component speakers:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/woodrows-97-green-tj-moderate-build.51602/post-1530889

Reactions: cpwolf
I’m curious what Amp you got, and where under the dash you mounted it? Did you take any pics?

I’ve got a Pioneer single din, it’s ok and all, but I got my son a double din with Car Play for his JK, and now I’m in, ha.

The amp, I’m curious about yours you mentioned.

The amp is the Soundstream SM4.10000D

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VCX0TW/?tag=wranglerorg-20

it was $20 cheaper when I bought it 3 months ago.

It's under the steering column, I copied the idea from other people on here. I made a shelf out of a cheap, thin plastic cutting board that I cut, bent two brackets out of aluminum bar stock just using my vise, they are not exact or pretty but they do the job. I didn't take a picture, I will see if I can get one later.

I also used the Blam Relax 5 1/4 but I went coaxial front and rear, I figured with the top off it wasn't worth the time figuring out where/how to mount tweeters.

Reactions: cpwolf
I have a 2003 Jeep TJ sport with the factory subwoofer option.
I am new to the forum and definitely new to audio upgrades. I have a blown speaker in the soundbar and that has sparked my interest in upgrading the whole system. My reading has told me to get 5 1/4 speakers in the dash and 6 1/2 in the soundbar. I also want to get a new head unit (maybe this, Kenwood Excelon KMM-X705 ?) and I am not opposed to getting an amp if deemed necessary. I just want to be able to listen to some tunes as I am cruising down the road with the top off and the doors off. I am not to afraid of theft where I live as long as I can somewhat conceal the amp (maybe under the seat). Should I even buy an amp or is it not needed. Should I do a 4-channel amp and just use the factory amp for the subwoofer or does it make more sense to get a 5-channel amp to do it all? Any brands for speakers, amps, and head units?

Thanks in advance, Tyler

I have a 2003 Jeep TJ sport with the factory subwoofer option.
I am new to the forum and definitely new to audio upgrades. I have a blown speaker in the soundbar and that has sparked my interest in upgrading the whole system. My reading has told me to get 5 1/4 speakers in the dash and 6 1/2 in the soundbar. I also want to get a new head unit (maybe this, Kenwood Excelon KMM-X705 ?) and I am not opposed to getting an amp if deemed necessary. I just want to be able to listen to some tunes as I am cruising down the road with the top off and the doors off. I am not to afraid of theft where I live as long as I can somewhat conceal the amp (maybe under the seat). Should I even buy an amp or is it not needed. Should I do a 4-channel amp and just use the factory amp for the subwoofer or does it make more sense to get a 5-channel amp to do it all? Any brands for speakers, amps, and head units?

Thanks in advance, Tyler

Just because everyone is doing it, doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. Imagine sitting at home with these speakers right next to your ears, and small speakers being barely heard. Now, imagine true quadrophonic sound with four identical speakers, balanced around you. Believe me, it's amazing hearing music fading perfectly, music clearly coming from only the front speaker, and the fidelity not being drowned out. I think the idea of "bigger is always better" is wrong, especially in this instance. 4-5 1/4" speakers, is the best setup. You should hear my system, with the front speakers balanced, identical to the rear speakers. A true quadraphonic experience.

Reactions: jwilkinson01