Recovery gear for new Jeep

@pagrey You make some good points.

TRE snatch blocks have been out of stock for months can anyone recommend another good light weight option? Trying to keep the weight of everything down to minimize danger.
They are just waiting on a small custom part to complete the assemblies. They were ordered with a tolerable lead time which has been extended for some reason only the vendor understands. Everything else is done and ready to go.

A neat feature of the TRE snatch block is you can run a soft shackle through the eye of the pulley axle and around the anchor line/strap in the extreme event that you overload the block.

Reactions: DrDmoney
I echo the suggestion for soft shackles. So easy to work with. Easy to carry one in your pocket with you when out watching the other rigs in your group try things.

I trail guide for a few different organizations and we get a wide cross section of Jeep owners through the woods quite often. It never ceases to amaze me how many keep their D-Ring bow shackles on their bumpers year round, causing rusting and rendering them useless. It’s like Jeep jewelry for them or something. I like to wear gloves when doing any kind of work outside the Jeep on the trail. I’m sure you know the basics.

Not sure if you mentioned it, but if you’re new to vehicle recoveries, maybe a good class would be in order. And always check the working load limits on any recovery gear you buy to make sure it’s not ATV rated stuff etc.
Two things never cease to amaze me, the display of bumper jewelry that should be kept out of the elements and the ire of owners when you point out their ignorance. Completely baffling but sorta understandable. Those that understand are also those who do recoveries.

I've had a habit for many years of putting green Loctite on the threads of every shackle pin hanging on a bumper that I work on. Just helping the process along.

I have a 7P snatch ring and Gator Jaw soft shackles, I definitely like the products TRE offers.

I agree wholly with the concept. I have doubts about how much it will wear a soft shackle under load. Ricky's aluminum snatch block weighs under a pound if such things matter.

I think I am just going to go with a TRE snatch block, seems like a more proven design as of now.

Last edited:
I agree wholly with the concept. I have doubts about how much it will wear a soft shackle under load. Ricky's aluminum snatch block weighs under a pound if such things matter.

I used it a few times now with no noticeable wear to either the ring or the soft shackle, time will tell though. I’ll make a point to always use the same shackle and keep an eye out for unusual wear and tear.

I didn’t realize Ricky’s shackle was that light, I would have picked it up instead of the ring but didn’t even know anybody was making a lighter shackle than the typical Warn style.

Finished up my recovery bag with a few Xmas presents from the wife.

keeping everything in a Blue Ridge recovery bag. Really happy with wasn’t sure if everything was going to fit but it all fit perfect.

0779C620-EC1E-4C4C-BA37-C94B4EEBDECF.jpeg

CFEB3916-D6EA-4941-B0D5-CFDAC116851B.jpeg

1E5FF3FF-9784-444D-845B-DD9A8327E42C.jpeg

I thought this giant soft shackle by TRE was very cool when used with my safety thimble thishould allow me to only use one connection a lot of the times when winching.
994091AF-02C7-4B02-9282-2819BA77484C.jpeg

The coolest thing by far is the new soft shackle snatch block. It’s is Amazing light compared to a traditional snatch block, now that I have this I won’t have to bring any old style D rings with me when wheeling, VERY impressive product.
20B51119-CCA5-4831-922B-4B53E6BFBE63.jpeg
C27A9809-F8F8-4260-BCFC-960F26FFC65F.jpeg

I’m very happy with how the kit turned out. Just thought I would finish this thread up showing what I decided on.

Finished up my recovery bag with a few Xmas presents from the wife.

keeping everything in a Blue Ridge recovery bag. Really happy with wasn’t sure if everything was going to fit but it all fit perfect.

View attachment 132733
View attachment 132738
View attachment 132739

I thought this giant soft shackle by TRE was very cool when used with my safety thimble thishould allow me to only use one connection a lot of the times when winching.
View attachment 132735

The coolest thing by far is the new soft shackle snatch block. It’s is Amazing light compared to a traditional snatch block, now that I have this I won’t have to bring any old style D rings with me when wheeling, VERY impressive product.
View attachment 132737View attachment 132736

I’m very happy with how the kit turned out. Just thought I would finish this thread up showing what I decided on.
Very nice, you definitely saved a lot of weight going to synthetics.

They have been using these friction rings on boats for years. They are well known not to be low friction and perform poorly at high angles. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. If you want to see that what this guy observed is totally normal just do a little research or go to your local West Marine, they'll probably be able to explain it to you.

Reactions: steelhd