Recovery hooks for bumper

Yes there are!! Unfortunately! They are the worst bolt head ever.

Yah, I'm thinking if I have to get new bolts, I might as well get a regular head type bolt to put it back on. Sure would be easier to just use a socket.

Reactions: TJ_2000
Another thought. If your bull bar doesn’t work. I would pick up a bumper with a small stinger.
Something like this.

That will be the plan later down the road. I will probably get a different bumper no matter what later. I like a few that I have seen, but money priorities are stopping me right now. Trying to do things to personalize it with out spending a lot. :D

Here is the bull bar I am going to try to put on. I know it is not made for actually doing anything, but I liked the looks of it. Just don't know if I will like it on the TJ. Looked great on the Liberty. LOL

View attachment 72962
Do you still have the light bar that is in the picture attached to your Bull bar? That would be nice on your TJ.

Going back to the rigging question in your original post, you never want to side pull a hook or shackle during a recovery, the rated capacity is for a straight line pull, any angle less than that reduces it ability to hold the rated load. The 45 degree angle you were thinking of would reduce the capacity by 50% or more, I don't have a rigging chart handy but I believe that the reduction. And you can go with a regular hex head cap screw, grade 8, 1/2 x 13, instead of the Torx head. I wish my wife were interested enough to raid my stash of parts!

Reactions: mrblaine
You may need longer bolts, depending upon whether some were already on and then removed. Make sure to get grade 8.
Not may, will need. The front crossmember is directly under one of the holes and the same bolt that holds the bumper on is too short to use with a hook since it would hit the crossmember first if it were long enough for the hook and you tried to use it for just the bumper.

Yes! Don't replace them with stainless steel bolts whatever you do ;)
Do not replace them with generic stainless. There are in fact stainless bolts that exceed grade 8 and metric class 12.9 specs that are suitable. You will however, not enjoy paying for them but they do exist. Look up some of the 12pt head ARP stuff. It is very suitable.

I recently needed some longer 5/16-18 machine screws to mount some door rails. My current selection of longer versions of the SS stuff we use was lacking so I wound up with some trailer deck screws for screwing wood down to trailer decks that are self threading. You will not get typical SS to do that.

Do you still have the light bar that is in the picture attached to your Bull bar? That would be nice on your TJ.

Yes, I still have it and plan on using it on the TJ. Just waiting for the bull bar first. It will either attach it again, or if the bull bar doesn't look good, I will attach it to the bumper itself. :D

Reactions: lowranger
Do not replace them with generic stainless. There are in fact stainless bolts that exceed grade 8 and metric class 12.9 specs that are suitable. You will however, not enjoy paying for them but they do exist. Look up some of the 12pt head ARP stuff. It is very suitable.

I recently needed some longer 5/16-18 machine screws to mount some door rails. My current selection of longer versions of the SS stuff we use was lacking so I wound up with some trailer deck screws for screwing wood down to trailer decks that are self threading. You will not get typical SS to do that.

Interesting, I didn't know this.

I guess these aren't the type of bolt you'd find at your local ACE Hardware in that case. I was always under the impression stainless steel could simply never be as strong as a Grade 8 bolt or similar.

Either way, if they are as expensive as they sound, it makes sense why you don't see them more often.

Yes, I still have it and plan on using it on the TJ. Just waiting for the bull bar first. It will either attach it again, or if the bull bar doesn't look good, I will attach it to the bumper itself. :D
I'm not sure how that bar mounted to the Libby bumper, but if it just bolted on, it could work...I suppose you would paint it black...?

.I suppose you would paint it black...?

LOL, Umm, no. It stays purple. :D Purple is my favorite color and my Jeep will be white and black with purple accents. :D Just got done painting my hooks purple and waiting for them to dry so I can install them. You guy's realize I am a girl and like doing foo foo things to my cars? LOL :D

Interesting, I didn't know this.

I guess these aren't the type of bolt you'd find at your local ACE Hardware in that case. I was always under the impression stainless steel could simply never be as strong as a Grade 8 bolt or similar.

Either way, if they are as expensive as they sound, it makes sense why you don't see them more often.
They are seen often, just not in our circles so much.

https://arp-bolts.com/kits/Bulk.php?PL=1&M=1&W=*&D=*&P=* Rated at 180,000 psi.
Grade 8 is typically rated at 150,000 psi.
https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/materials-and-grades/bolt-grade-chart.aspx

Reactions: Chris
Ok, got Grade 8 bolts but had to get them with hex head as Ace didn't have the torx head, but that was fine by me. I kinda like the hex head better. :D

Here's a pic. I just let them squish the bumper guard down a bit. Also, angry eyes will be removed once my headlight guards get here. :D

fullsizeoutput_339f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_339d.jpeg

LOL, Umm, no. It stays purple. :D Purple is my favorite color and my Jeep will be white and black with purple accents. :D Just got done painting my hooks purple and waiting for them to dry so I can install them. You guy's realize I am a girl and like doing foo foo things to my cars? LOL :D
Hey, it's your Jeep, go for it. I didn't realize you were going to carry the purple theme forward. Don't let Barney see your TJ, it'll be gone! :)
1547934368635.png

Reactions: KimsJeep