Replaced my Pads and Rotors

Having spent the better part of my career in the brake industry, I'm somewhat of an authority on the subject.

A plain rotor would have been a better choice for several reason, but one holds more weight than all the others based on the pictures of the old parts:

You are clearly in an area when corrosion is a concern, that's why the inner friction surfaces of your old rotors are almost consumed by rust. Rust will occur in these areas, and that almost always WILL be the failure mode of a cast iron brake rotor. Coatings on the friction surface will be gone after the road test...and coatings on the rest of the rotor will degrade over time. The pads can keep the swept area clean, but the slots/drill holes are not swept. As soon as whatever de-icers they are exposed to begin degrading the remaining coating in the slots/drill holes, they will rust and rust will start creeping into the swept area from the slots/drill holes.

With a plain rotor...typically rust will start around the ID and OD of the swept area and creep further into the swept area...there comes a point when there is insufficient good friction surface remaining to effectively brake the vehicle. With a slotted/drilled rotor under these conditions, we still have the above mentioned "rust creep", but also we've added rust from the slots/drill holes that will creep into the swept area, accelerating the degradation of the rotor.

"But slots and holes perform better"...some might shout from the rooftops. Maybe, under certain conditions, but not by much (based on dyno testing...not seat of the pants)...and one thing that always holds true without question is that a rotor with a clean friction surface will perform significantly better than one with a friction surface half consumed by rust.

The better performing brake rotor is the one that remains in the best condition for the greatest amount of time.

I call your tools and add in my lift
lift2.JPG

www.blackmagicbrakes.com mrblaine knows more about Jeep brakes and how to improve them than any man alive. He is also who came up with the dual piston caliper Big Brake kit and exceptional braking Black Magic brake pads.
Jerry - Under you post you say "When you have a choice, by American made". Black Magic brake pads are not American made. Please buy American.

• Angry
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Jerry - Under you post you say "When you have a choice, by American made". Black Magic brake pads are not American made. Please buy American.
Where do you buy brake pads that are made in America?

How many of you members actually work on your vehicles??? I bet most of you couldn't turn a wrench...
Probably 95% of active forum members wrench on their rigs. That’s why we’re here. We’re TJ enthusiasts. We may disagree on MC products, but we all agree on non-slotted, non-drilled rotors. Relax with the ad hominem posts. This is the best and most helpful forum on the internet. We even have the best ASSHOLES. You might just fit in, but if you can’t take a few bumps and bruises, you won’t make it here.

How many of you members actually work on your vehicles??? I bet most of you couldn't turn a wrench...
Ohh, I think you'd be surprised that the majority of us do our own stunts :)
IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2197.JPG

Though I think you'll also find that most of us won't go starting a new thread to show that we swapped out a set of pads and rotors. We need attention, but not that bad :)

The people on here stating that drilled and slotted rotors are not good or not as good as regular rotors is just their opinion... My opinion of them having used them dozens of times and having noticed better braking on all of them is mine.

I have read positive and negative reviews on this and it is what I choose to use and will continue until I feel otherwise.
wrong, it is fact, and the reasons have been pointed out.

Reviews are what you make of them...example:

I had a customer who for years purchased the cheapest bottom of the barrel pads and rotors they could get their hands on, did their own slotting / drilling / zinc plating, then sold them as a top shelf premium product with a price close to or more than a dealer would get at retail. They marketed so well (or found enough stupid people) that they have folks pulling OEM (USA, Germany, Japan, etc...) manufactured rotors...which are as close to top shelf as it gets, off of their fairly new cars and installing bottom of the barrel chinese stuff because it was sold to them as an "upgrade". They sold parts to everyone. All the reviews were stellar.... "way better than my old brakes". Well, obviously...if your old brakes were good then you wouldn't have replaced them. They were worn out and in disrepair.

Regardless of what parts one chooses, issues like sticking pads, stuck slide pins, sticking pistons (temporarily) get solved by accident during the course of a brake job. Of course it will work better afterwards....even though the junk pads and rotors that were installed are nothing special at the lower end of the spectrum as far as operating characteristics, temp range, longevity, and overall quality.

If you put any real heat into your brakes, you'll have cracks running right through those drill holes....which you typicallty won't get until significantly more abuse on a plain or slotted rotor.