Replacement Halogen Bulb Suggestions?

Just another vote for the JK headlight conversion. They're slightly better than the original, which is nice. They look a little better in my opinion and what I really like is, should they ever burn up a bulb, you just have to replace it from the back instead of pulling the whole bezel out, etc.
I also picked them up off of craigslist, $20 with bulbs in them. Just some $12 jumpers that went from H4 to H13 and I was in business.

Original sealed beam on the left, JK housing on the right.

View attachment 124398

And below is with both JK housings in.

View attachment 124399

This looks like a great option - can you tell me the exact things you searched for? Googled jk headlights for TJ and got a LOT of irrelevant stuff.
Thanks!

It's not the oncoming lights that bother me. It's the color temp of the lights of the vehicles I'm in. Tho you could be right on the LED/HID bulbs. I've been assuming the problem ones were LEDs without confirming it. Thanks for the re-think. Glad this came up before I bought (possibly) the wrong lights.🍻
The color temp of 6000K appears just enough off to me that I can't see with it. If LEDs were 5000K I'd like them a lot better. My work truck, (freightliner) has HIDs about that color and they are great.

This looks like a great option - can you tell me the exact things you searched for? Googled jk headlights for TJ and got a LOT of irrelevant stuff.
Thanks!
The housings themselves are a direct fit, mine in particular are off of a 2012. As for the wire harness. You just need a H4 to H13 adapter. I'll try to find the link to the exact one's

Found it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DRGW14M/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
Reactions: Press1
The color temp of 6000K appears just enough off to me that I can't see with it. If LEDs were 5000K I'd like them a lot better. My work truck, (freightliner) has HIDs about that color and they are great.
Gotta agree with you on that one. Anything over 6000k and I can't see as well. Unfortunately going the other direction normally gets you something less than 4000k. And that is way way to yellow for my eyes. That "warm" color just always seems dimmer, no matter how much "brighter" they claim to be.

Gotta agree with you on that one. Anything over 6000k and I can't see as well. Unfortunately going the other direction normally gets you something less than 4000k. And that is way way to yellow for my eyes. That "warm" color just always seems dimmer, no matter how much "brighter" they claim to be.
I'll take dimmer that lets me see over brighter that doesn't. That's why I still have halogens in the Muddog.

Reactions: Goatman
It took awhile to find the relevant posts from previous discussions on the subject, but here is a color temperature comparison for various bulbs in relation to incandescent interior lighting and daylight:

"Trucklite Knockoff" LED headlamps on Amazon - 5600K
PIAA Xtreme White Plus H4 - 4000K
Philips X-treme Vision +130 H4 - 3700K
Hella Long Life 60/55W H4 (standard Halogen bulb) - 3200K
Wagner Britelite 60/55W sealed beam (OEM headlamp) - 3200K (Halogen bulb inside sealed housing)

Daylight - 4500-6200K
Incandescent Interior Household Lighting - 2800-3400K

See: https://www.****forum.com/forum/f9/led-headlights-4320897/index3.html#post40448193 [Replace **** with Jeep.

From that same thread:

Jerry Bransford said:
. . . Pure white is hard enough our eyes but those that have a bluish tint are much harder/produce more glare on both our eyes and the eyes of oncoming drivers. . . .

See also: https://www.********forum.com/f282/b...l#post34052985 [Replace ******** with wrangler]

I switched my stock lights to the JK lights as some have in this thread. I switched them yesterday and drove for the first time with them last night. I think I really need to adjust them. LOL I didn't have time yesterday and I also wanted to order a T15 long screwdriver type torx. I get that tomorrow.

On the drive last night, without adjusting, there is a big black spot in front of the Jeep, then maybe 10 feet or so ahead I can see the light. I wasn't to thrilled to say the least. LOL But, I am going to wait and adjust them before I scrap them. LOL I will also have a better idea on how they do tonight because there will be less traffic. I will be able to see my light better without everyone else's drowning mine out. :D

I also need to modify my light guards. The JK headlight actually protrudes out a bit more then the original. Although I did get them back on with some heavy pushing, I will need to oblong the screw holes and possibly grind some of the inside of the guard down. I'm thinking that as hard as I have to push on them to get them to go back far enough to get the screws in the holes, it is probably messing with the adjustment too.

For those of you that went this route, do you have a fairly big area that has not light from the front of the Jeep to about 10 feet or so forward? Oh, and another question. If I want to go with a brighter bulb, what would I look for? I noticed that not all bulbs hook into the light housing the same. Thanks! :D

I switched my stock lights to the JK lights as some have in this thread. I switched them yesterday and drove for the first time with them last night. I think I really need to adjust them. LOL I didn't have time yesterday and I also wanted to order a T15 long screwdriver type torx. I get that tomorrow.

On the drive last night, without adjusting, there is a big black spot in front of the Jeep, then maybe 10 feet or so ahead I can see the light. I wasn't to thrilled to say the least. LOL But, I am going to wait and adjust them before I scrap them. LOL I will also have a better idea on how they do tonight because there will be less traffic. I will be able to see my light better without everyone else's drowning mine out. :D

I also need to modify my light guards. The JK headlight actually protrudes out a bit more then the original. Although I did get them back on with some heavy pushing, I will need to oblong the screw holes and possibly grind some of the inside of the guard down. I'm thinking that as hard as I have to push on them to get them to go back far enough to get the screws in the holes, it is probably messing with the adjustment too.

For those of you that went this route, do you have a fairly big area that has not light from the front of the Jeep to about 10 feet or so forward? Oh, and another question. If I want to go with a brighter bulb, what would I look for? I noticed that not all bulbs hook into the light housing the same. Thanks! :D

I could be wrong here, but I believe the JK housings take a H13 bulb, which I assume you know being as you had to get H4 to H13 adapters. I've had very good results with Phillips Extreme vision bulbs. That and proper adjustment should net you some positive results.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1OLOP0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I could be wrong here, but I believe the JK housings take a H13 bulb, which I assume you know being as you had to get H4 to H13 adapters. I've had very good results with Phillips Extreme vision bulbs. That and proper adjustment should net you some positive results.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1OLOP0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Yes, I know it takes a H13 bulb. So is it safe to say all H13 bulbs go into the housing the same?

Good thread. I’ve been contemplating dumping the truck lite knock off LEDs to something not so obnoxiously bright and I’d like a more stock looking headlight. I’m tired of being high beamed at. And that’s with my headlights pointing as low as I could get them.

For the Hella E-code set up, all that is needed is the kit, correct? The housing and bulbs? The H4 to H13 adapters is not needed?
And for a JK set up, it’s JK housing, h13 bulbs, and the h4 to h13 adapter?
Just want to make sure I have all the facts correct. Thanks

For the Hella E-code set up, all that is needed is the kit, correct? The housing and bulbs? The H4 to H13 adapters is not needed?
And for a JK set up, it’s JK housing, h13 bulbs, and the h4 to h13 adapter?
Just want to make sure I have all the facts correct. Thanks

Sounds right to me.

Reactions: jazngab
Yeah, I just bought the Hella E-codes, pulled the old lights and installed the new ones. No extra parts, and just like replacing the lights with stock units. The improvement in lighting however was big, and no one is flashing their lights at me. Just make sure to check the aim on them.

Yeah, I just bought the Hella E-codes, pulled the old lights and installed the new ones. No extra parts, and just like replacing the lights with stock units. The improvement in lighting however was big, and no one is flashing their lights at me. Just make sure to check the aim on them.
Yea got tired of blinding people even though I aimed the LEDs. And I don’t care for the look of these trucklites anymore.