Replacing OEM Track Bar

Trod286

TJ Enthusiast
Is it a good idea to upgrade my Track bar as the current one has wobble at the lower bushing. The Bushing is cracked and worn out and the bolt is still intact without movement. I could just possible get away with replacing the bushing only.
Is it worth upgrading from the OEM bar into something more sturdy. Any suggestions or Links that include the correct brackets as while.

Is it a good idea to upgrade my Track bar as the current one has wobble at the lower bushing. The Bushing is cracked and worn out and the bolt is still intact without movement. I could just possible get away with replacing the bushing only.
Is it worth upgrading from the OEM bar into something more sturdy. Any suggestions or Links that include the correct brackets as while.
Do you have a lift? Make sure the frame side joint is solid as well. If I was able to use a stock bar in stock holes I see no reason not to repair or replace the bar with another stock unit.

Reactions: Weasellee
I think the OEM track bar is one of those parts where it just makes sense to replace the whole unit instead of trying to replace the one bushing. You can't replace the ball joint, so if that has any issues then the whole thing is hosed anyway. The Crown unit is $76 (p/n 52088432). You could get the bushing alone for $10 (p/n 52088431) though in case the ball joint side is still fine. You'll either have to have a press or take the track bar to a shop to have them remove the old bushing and install the new one.

Just replaced my stock one with a currie one. The difference in size is significant and clearly noticeable visually.

I noticed that my 03 Rubicon has a 1 piece track bar so no adjustment. I measured the front springs and they measure 16 inches which should mean a 4 inch lift. I've looked for a direct replacement but can not find a solid 1 piece track bar in the same. Does this mean the person who owned the jeep prior to me didn't change the track bar to match ride height. Am I missing something here.

I noticed that my 03 Rubicon has a 1 piece track bar so no adjustment. I measured the front springs and they measure 16 inches which should mean a 4 inch lift. I've looked for a direct replacement but can not find a solid 1 piece track bar in the same. Does this mean the person who owned the jeep prior to me didn't change the track bar to match ride height. Am I missing something here.
It seems if a stock bar worked fine before it can be replaced with stock. Otherwise I just installed a Core 4x4 tier 3 bar and it went in smooth and seems like quality. Time will tell, but experience and years of listening to others says those Currie and JKS bars can’t be beat either. 🤷‍♂️

I believe you need to change the front when you lift but not the rear.

Does this mean the person who owned the jeep prior to me didn't change the track bar to match ride height. Am I missing something here.
Is your axle centered? Are both sides of the trackbar attached to factory locations? Some pictures of each end may help see what's going on.

What a thread.

if it has slop it needs a new moog bushing or replaced entirely.

if it is lifted 2-2.5” or more it likely needs an adjustable one to center the axle as well.

There are a alot of good options available- a worn/sloppy track bar leads to drama you don’t want.

Is your axle centered? Are both sides of the trackbar attached to factory locations? Some pictures of each end may help see what's going on

Is your axle centered? Are both sides of the trackbar attached to factory locations? Some pictures of each end may help see what's going on.
The axle is centered, however I noticed a second hole on the axle side.

20210610_203412.jpg

20210610_202616.jpg

Aha, that clears things up. I don't think you'll find a longer "one-piece" replacement track bar, but you will find many adjustable track bars for sale. The most commonly recommended ones here are RockJock and JKS. Worn or loose track bars can allow death wobble. I would definitely replace it if the joints are worn and are allowing unwanted lateral movement. That said, there are cheaper ways to do that and more expensive ways.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
What a thread.

if it has slop it needs a new moog bushing or replaced entirely.

if it is lifted 2-2.5” or more it likely needs an adjustable one to center the axle as well.

There are a alot of good options available- a worn/sloppy track bar leads to drama you don’t want.
2.5" a stock bar can be gotten away with...but adjustable is better