Replacing steering box; pitman arm removal?

Had previously considered, but now think I'll give it a go. Have about 150 ft/lbs + on the puller trying not to break it, but will definitely remove it to cut so it doesn't explode off.

If you aren't in fear of breaking that particular puller, then it isn't tight enough. And you need a real pitman arm puller.

OTC (8150) Conical Pitman Arm Puller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00061SMS0/?tag=wranglerorg-20
Screenshot_20230221_155413_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Reactions: jjvw
Now I have a new major dilemma. After removing the Pittman I realized my steering wheel had rotated 180° to the lock point; on further assessment the steering column spins freely in the gearbox . . . what is going on??

I cut off the pitman arm to replace on my 17 Duramax due to clearance and the fact the box is partially electronically controlled and would have required major disassembly...WTF were they thinking on that. Anyway, I took my time with a cut off wheel and used a chisel inside the cut to separate. Just take your time when cutting and check often so you don't get into the sector shaft.

Now I have a new major dilemma. After removing the Pittman I realized my steering wheel had rotated 180° to the lock point; on further assessment the steering column spins freely in the gearbox . . . what is going on??

The pitman arm will only fit on 4 ways, there are 4 large splines. The pitman arm faces towards the rear.

This seems to be the best thread to jump in and ask for help with my issue: After 3.5 years finally made time to "Currect" my steering and remove the dropped Pittman arm. Dropped the linkage without issue but the Pittman will just not turn loose. I've sprayed multiple days/rounds using PB Blaster and Liquid Moly to give everyone a fair shake, and tried the puller to no avail, and lastly with great tension on the puller applied light 'shocks' from the air hammer around the Pittman collar in an effort to vibrate the bond loose. Its a very firm gear box with no extra movement, but I'm down to thinking about replacing it because I'm out of ideas.

View attachment 402077

Take that pitman arm puller and throw it in the trash where it belongs. Then buy the OTC clamshell type.

Reactions: StevesLJnotDefender
time to resurrect another old thread

my steering shaft going into the steering gear box is very loose, its not the steering gear box, its the steering rod.

Is there a way to tighten the steer rod going into the gear box or can I just replace the steer rod? the pitman arm end is still tight? Can I just replace the seal where the steer rod attaches to the gear box? with out replacing ALL the seals and gaskets. this is a 2000 Tj with 100K on it?

20230629_151309.jpg

If you’re talking about the input shaft going into the gearbox, I’m not sure that can be tightened up, you can add seals and bearings and that might work… if you’re referring to the lower steering shaft that connects to the gear box that has the small U joint on it then yes that’s a replaceable part… There are a number of YouTube videos out there on how to replace the seals on the input and output shaft of the gearbox that will stop them from leaking…

Reactions: Jmac00
If you’re talking about the input shaft going into the gearbox, I’m not sure that can be tightened up, you can add seals and bearings and that might work… if you’re referring to the lower steering shaft that connects to the gear box that has the small U joint on it then yes that’s a replaceable part… There are a number of YouTube videos out there on how to replace the seals on the input and output shaft of the gearbox that will stop them from leaking…

ya, screw it, I might as well rebuild the entire freak'n thing. I doubt I can find a rebuilt steering gear box?

I just replaced my steering gear and the upper/lower steering shaft about a month ago. Was well worth it. I have a 98 with almost 200k on it.

yep, I watched that video last night. This is an Arizona Tj, so I suspect it should come apart fairly easily. everything else I replaced on this Jeep has come apart in "like new" condition. So im kinda torn between taking a few hours to rebuild it, or simply replace with a remanufactured one.
I live in a RV full time, so it maybe worth my time and effort to simply replace it

did you get or use a evac pump to get the air out? How did you get fluid IN the gear box? I might as well get a new pump as well, and new hoses?

I used a pumnp to get the fluid out of the power steering res. You could also just disconnect the lines and drain. I replaced the hoses while I was at it. Not sure I follow you on getting fluid into the new box. I just connected the new hoses, filled up the power steering reservoir and followed the directions that came with the unit. It was omething like turn on the car, turn full lock to right, full lock to left, refill res as needed and repeat. There might have been one other step.

Reactions: Jmac00