Rock Lights

Calvin.8

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My local trail is having a night run on the 14th and I want to put some rock lights on before I go. Any cheap options anybody has done?

I bought cheap outdoor sign leds. Has been a few years and I have only really used them twice (and even then they weren't needed). Something similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSRFFD4/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The ones I bought have 5 leds per strip. I have 15 under the front bumper 25-30 on each side, and a handful more in the rear and around the driveshaft. Mine are wired to a relay so i can use them whenever and maybe a 10 amp fuse (they draw so little power). Don't put them directly over your tires because that is dumb. Put them where they will light up the rocks, not your tires. Also, go for boring white. Don't do some RGB nonsense.

20200905_195101.jpg
20210916_192747.jpg
20210916_193709.jpg

I was going to start a thread asking about this but found this thread instead.

There is of course KC.

https://www.kchilites.com/cyclone-2...RpA8SJ7YOcZ2zms-L81-vOr9BkzPmvrUaAsKdEALw_wcB
Ridgid

https://www.quadratec.com/p/rigid-i...PMFge5NfwWP3atBUdrpqNLc59EebJ3okaAnULEALw_wcB
Another KC

https://www.extremeterrain.com/kc-h...se-led-6-light-system-5w-flood-beam-0339.html
ORO

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...s-w8-off-road-only-litespot-chassis-light-kit
And then all kinds of kits on Amazon. How many are needed and where do you want to mount them?
As tworley said they aren't needed directly above the tires but I've seen them mounted in so many different spots I'm not exactly sure where to mount them.

I'm inclined to get the KC or Ridgid kit but they are spendy and for how often I might use them just not sure it's worth it. But I also don't want to be replacing them every other year either.

I don't care for the RGB option either and just want a white light. I was thinking 6-8 lights but would like to hear others input.

Do you like them? A Facebook ad came for them the other day. Do they stick to painted metal as well or do you have to sand a spot?
I do like them. They are very strong magnets and have no issues sticking to painted or powdercoated metal. I've never had one come loose.

I don't know what I'll use on the new build, haven't thought that far ahead but I like to try new things to see how they compare so may try something different.

Reactions: TRE3TOP and JMT
I bought cheap outdoor sign leds. Has been a few years and I have only really used them twice (and even then they weren't needed). Something similar to these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSRFFD4/?tag=wranglerorg-20
The ones I bought have 5 leds per strip. I have 15 under the front bumper 25-30 on each side, and a handful more in the rear and around the driveshaft. Mine are wired to a relay so i can use them whenever and maybe a 10 amp fuse (they draw so little power). Don't put them directly over your tires because that is dumb. Put them where they will light up the rocks, not your tires. Also, go for boring white. Don't do some RGB nonsense.

View attachment 328343View attachment 328344View attachment 328345
These are the ones to get. No need to pay extra for off-road rock lights when all you care about is if they are waterproof.

Also, I have also only used them a few times where it might have mattered.

The lights I use are the Grote 4" torsion mount that are used for the back-up lights on things like semi trucks. They are sealed, wide angle and cheap ($5 ea.).
I made brackets from 1/8" x 1" Aluminum flat stock. I drilled a small hole in the back of them and used small sheetmetal screws and a dab of silicon to attach them. One is mounted (that has 2 lights aimed in front of the tires) on front lower grill support. The side ones (2) are mounted near the front body mount (tucked up) and pointed to the front tire and back tire. The rear one (in each corner) is tucked up behind the tire. I chose these because they are just bright enough to see the ground and not be overwhelming. To date, they are about 15 yrs. old.

Reactions: Wildman and Zorba
These are the ones to get. No need to pay extra for off-road rock lights when all you care about is if they are waterproof.

Also, I have also only used them a few times where it might have mattered.
These are advertised as "waterproof" but the reviews seem to be mixed on that subject. Have you found that to be the case?

Also, it appears that these lights have a hole in each pod for a screw? Is that accurate? Did you use screws or did you just use the 3M method?

Maybe @tworley can weigh in on these questions also. Thanks guys.

These are advertised as "waterproof" but the reviews seem to be mixed on that subject. Have you found that to be the case?

Also, it appears that these lights have a hole in each pod for a screw? Is that accurate? Did you use screws or did you just use the 3M method?

I'll send a close up shot when i get home as I have several lights left over. The plastic housing/strip holds the LEDs with a clear epoxy covering each one. Each housing has a tab on either end that you can use with a fastener to hold or it has 3M sticky tape that you can use. My lights were installed when my jeep was my DD and they have been thru rivers, puddles, snow, car washes and still emit plenty of light. I used the 3m adhesive tape along with a dab of Gorilla adhesive on the tabs. I used a little more around the rear driveshaft as the old grease wouldnt allow the adhesive to stick at all. So far I havent lost any lights

Reactions: SvtLdr and rasband
The lights I use are the Grote 4" torsion mount that are used for the back-up lights on things like semi trucks. They are sealed, wide angle and cheap ($5 ea.).
I made brackets from 1/8" x 1" Aluminum flat stock. I drilled a small hole in the back of them and used small sheetmetal screws and a dab of silicon to attach them. One is mounted (that has 2 lights aimed in front of the tires) on front lower grill support. The side ones (2) are mounted near the front body mount (tucked up) and pointed to the front tire and back tire. The rear one (in each corner) is tucked up behind the tire. I chose these because they are just bright enough to see the ground and not be overwhelming. To date, they are about 15 yrs. old.
I'm thinking of something similar. These have been recommended on this forum a few times for other purposes, I bought a pair and will crawl around under the Jeep at nite and see if it makes sense to use them as rock - er, undercarriage - lites. Might be able to get away with fewer mount points...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GC60QSG/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: alittleoff
I have a 8 of these. They are pretty bright when I hooked them to the battery to test them in the workshop one night.

Amak 4 Pods LED Rock Light Kit for Jeep ATV SUV Offroad Car Truck Boat Underbody Glow Trail Rig Lamp Underglow LED Neon Lights Waterproof - White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ABPGAUC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I like the idea of magnetic mounts that someone mentioned earlier. I may try to find some really strong magnets to attach to them and mount that way. My biggest hold up is how to wire them. Should I just run something like a 14 gauge wire down each side tap into them? Same with the grounds and use one common ground for all of the lights?

Mine have been under the Jeep for at least 4 years of daily driving and are still working.

Reactions: SvtLdr
20220525_082427.jpg

It has a clear epoxy resin that seals the leds. The set I have appears to be adequate and you can see that it is enough to cover the strip and up the sides of the plastic housing. There is also just enough to seal and hold the wiring. The adhesive backer in my opinion could be a little thicker and wider.

20220525_082532.jpg
20220525_082551.jpg
20220525_082607.jpg

Reactions: psrivats and SvtLdr
I'm thinking of something similar. These have been recommended on this forum a few times for other purposes, I bought a pair and will crawl around under the Jeep at nite and see if it makes sense to use them as rock - er, undercarriage - lites. Might be able to get away with fewer mount points...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GC60QSG/?tag=wranglerorg-20
I think those LED's are great for B/U lights and high mounted flood lights. But for my use and only being less than 2' from the ground, they're way too bright and the hot spot is too small to illuminate a wide area. The Grote's that I use have an incandescent bulb similar to a 1157 or 1156 tail light bulb. And they have a more warmer glow to them.
They're also cheap and low tech... me likes.

Reactions: Wildman
  • Haha
Reactions: L J