Rock Slider Recommendations for 06 LJ

• Thread starter Cross-Threaded-06TJ
  • Start date
I contacted Genright a few months ago about making the aluminum rocker without a step-received a firm “not interested “.

The Savvy aluminum rocker base (no slider) could be an option when they come back in stock.

Lightweight and no step, though I’m not sure I’d count on them holding up to hard hits without that steel slider.

When I called Savvy last week, that’s what they said they were waiting on to offer their sliders. They have the steel portion of the slider ready to go. When I asked for the best guess when they would be ready to go they couldn’t give me one. Said they have been waiting 2 months for the aluminum bender to bend them.

I even went as far to call the aluminum bender that they are waiting on but that was a dead end

So as far as steps on sliders go, other than appearances, is there a reason to not have the step (assuming they are structural steps)? Do they act as a lever arm on the slider and the tub and increase chances of bending the slider/tub?

So as far as steps on sliders go, other than appearances, is there a reason to not have the step (assuming they are structural steps)? Do they act as a lever arm on the slider and the tub and increase chances of bending the slider/tub?

The tube fake steps most sliders have are likely intended to keep the body further away from rocks and trees. My thinking is that they are needlessly large and occupy space that is best left empty. And extending out as far as they do, they create unnecessary leverage against the tub. The preferable example being something like Savvy where the rub rail is only a couple inches out from the body. This pushes the body away from the obstacle without making the slider the very thing that damages the body.

Reactions: Bowhunter
I just don't think the steps are usable as...steps. Perhaps some of you with more experience will disagree. They seem too high, higher than the floor inside of the jeep, and seem to stick out so far they would be a hinderance to entry when I try to get in without using it as a step. I just want a thin rub-rail. When I called Genright to ask if they would make the aluminum slider without a step, my thought was to put a smaller piece of steel over it, making a quasi-Savvy slider, but it was just going to be way too expensive.

I just don't think the steps are usable as...steps. Perhaps some of you with more experience will disagree. They seem too high, higher than the floor inside of the jeep, and seem to stick out so far they would be a hinderance to entry when I try to get in without using it as a step. I just want a thin rub-rail. When I called Genright to ask if they would make the aluminum slider without a step, my thought was to put a smaller piece of steel over it, making a quasi-Savvy slider, but it was just going to be way too expensive.

I think most that want a step overlook that very thing. I've shown lots of folks that to step up on the step requires that you lift your foot higher than the floorboard. It has never made sense to me to step up and then step down into the rig.

I want a nice rocker cover (Like the Rubicon trim plate) but I also don't know if I want to drill holes in the tub for looks. I don't really wheel mine hard so it's mostly for looks and covering up the rockers

For myself I never use the tube as a step to get in the driver seat. I and others do use it to get in the back seat. Have heard it from smaller girls that they prefer the tube as a step despite the height. Their reason was they don’t have the leg length to get their leg inside without it getting stuck on the tub so they like going up an in to prevent doing the splits and not being able to jump with the back leg that is still on the ground.

Have a friend that just ripped the stock step off and is now looking for sliders, and his wife is requiring a tube or step on the outside.

That being said, yes if function was the concern the rub rail is better than these tubes that stick too far out.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
I think most that want a step overlook that very thing. I've shown lots of folks that to step up on the step requires that you lift your foot higher than the floorboard. It has never made sense to me to step up and then step down into the rig.

The step can also act as a lever arm against the slider and increase the chance of bending/damaging the tub and slider correct? Or is that not really a concern?

If you need a step, why not these...? Self retracting, no power required, quickly removeable, can be used with a lot of tub sliders, nearly impossible to see when retracted... But they are a little pricey.

https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/wrangler-tj/products/hide-a-step-black-tj

I’ve never seen them. Actually a pretty sweet idea since it can pop the pin out and not have this big thing under still or pay for those electric ones. Due to my financial situation I think the cavfab with one of those steps is a sweet combo.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
The step can also act as a lever arm against the slider and increase the chance of bending/damaging the tub and slider correct? Or is that not really a concern?

Too many variables for a definitive answer. Yes, it is a lever, what happens depends on how high it is mounted on the side, how the rocker is attached etc.

For myself I never use the tube as a step to get in the driver seat. I and others do use it to get in the back seat.
So you’re saying the step makes it easier to get in the backseat?

I regularly have people sit in the backseat so this might be a pro for the genrights.

So you’re saying the step makes it easier to get in the backseat?

I regularly have people sit in the backseat so this might be a pro for the genrights.

Personally, yes and only the back seat for me. Tumble the seat forward and there really isn’t much room to step into the jeep like the front seats do since I have to scrunch down to fit behind the seat anyways and being so tall it’s a weird fit. So stepping up to the tube to situate your body to fit is the way I do it if I’m getting stuff from the back and all my old roomates would do too. I’d assume the hide away step just shown would do just as good but a step for the lady’s and to get in the back is nice.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
I posted in the main rocker thread just a bit ago, but I've got a set of Poison Spyder stupid rockers that I've been thinking about modifying to at least be a bit less shitty until I can get my hands on the Savvys.

My thought was to cut off the tube steps, add a backing plate inside the tub, maybe a couple more through bolts to clamp further down on the armor from inside the foot well, and cut around the body mounts and use 3 or 4 nutserts in the torque box where it actually makes contact.

Thoughts?