Rock Sliders / Rocker Guards Guide

That's going way way back in time! I never knew to look for those back then.

Some unique at the time parts on that rig since Jon knew lots of folks in the industry. Nth Degree suck down winch bumper. Nth Degree tub rails. First set of GR steel high line fenders that we built on the rig to get both sides perfectly parallel to each other. First set of mini boatsides. First set of GR raised frame side body mounts.

I've been playing around with my rudimentary CAD and it has raised a question in my mind about the Savvy sliders I can't quite answer with certainty from the pictures I have seen of them.

One of the advantages quoted is that they have two 45 degree bends, rather than a sharp 90 degree bend. The aluminium part is made of 3/16" 6061T6, my understanding is the recommended minium bend radius for that is 4.5x thickness, so for 3/16" that would be an internal radius of 27/32". When I measure the drop between the bottom of the side of the body to the underside of the torque box it is a very similar distance to that radius (I actually make it slightly less, but my measurements may not be 100% accurate). That would imply that there is not enough room to form a 45 degree bend, run a flat section and then form a second 45 degree bend - unless I am missing something there is just about enough room to form a 90 degree bend. From the picture above it looks like a 90 degree bend in the aluminium - but I have learnt that the angle pictures are taken at can mean you misread them.

Again from the picture above it is clear that the steel section that attaches to the aluminium does have a 45 degree bend with a flat section then another 45 degree bend. This makes sense as my understanding is the steel can be bent more sharply than the aluminium (is there a minimum bend radius for mild steel?).

When people refer to the two 45 degree bends being a benefit of the Savvy sliders, are they referring to the steel section rather than the aluminium?

Yes, they are referring to the steel section.

There would be no way for the slider base to have 2 x 45-degree bends without changing material and requiring bending of the tub pinch seam a la mini-boatside.

Reactions: UKTJ
I've been playing around with my rudimentary CAD and it has raised a question in my mind about the Savvy sliders I can't quite answer with certainty from the pictures I have seen of them.

One of the advantages quoted is that they have two 45 degree bends, rather than a sharp 90 degree bend. The aluminium part is made of 3/16" 6061T6, my understanding is the recommended minium bend radius for that is 4.5x thickness, so for 3/16" that would be an internal radius of 27/32". When I measure the drop between the bottom of the side of the body to the underside of the torque box it is a very similar distance to that radius (I actually make it slightly less, but my measurements may not be 100% accurate). That would imply that there is not enough room to form a 45 degree bend, run a flat section and then form a second 45 degree bend - unless I am missing something there is just about enough room to form a 90 degree bend. From the picture above it looks like a 90 degree bend in the aluminium - but I have learnt that the angle pictures are taken at can mean you misread them.

Again from the picture above it is clear that the steel section that attaches to the aluminium does have a 45 degree bend with a flat section then another 45 degree bend. This makes sense as my understanding is the steel can be bent more sharply than the aluminium (is there a minimum bend radius for mild steel?).

When people refer to the two 45 degree bends being a benefit of the Savvy sliders, are they referring to the steel section rather than the aluminium?

While the DIY mini boatside does have two bends, neither one is 45 degrees. You really need to start with the cardboard template I showed a bit earlier. From there, you can take measurements of what you need to build into and design the material to fit.

I have a couple early iterations of the boatsides that I planned to make out of aluminum with a steel overlay skin similar in spirit to Savvy. What I eventually realized was that the 6061t6 minimum bend radius consumed ground clearance. Then trying to add the steel skin to fit tight over the aluminum was fussy and heavy.

It wasn't worth the difficulty and all reasonable design paths led to steel. It was a very enjoyable and educational process to go through.

Last edited:
While the DIY mini boatside does have two bends, neither one is 45 degrees. You really need to start with the cardboard template I showed a bit earlier. From there, you can take measurements of what you need to build into and design the material to fit.

I have a couple early iterations of the boatsides that I planned to make out of aluminum with a steel overlay skin similar in spirit to Savvy. What I eventually realized was that the 6061t6 minimum bend radius consumed ground clearance. Then trying to add the steel skin to fit tight over the aluminum was fussy and heavy.

It wasn't worth the difficulty and all reasonable design paths led to steel. It was a very enjoyable and educational process to go through.

I agree, even my rudimentary thought process has been interesting and informative so far.

Yes, the reference to 45 degrees comes from the comments on the Savvy sliders, as that second 'rail' is not fitted to the body I guess one could choose any reasonable angles, but as you say, fitting close to the Jeep requires following the angles that already exist.

At the moment I am probably shying away from the mini boatside approach, the type of locations I am offroad in are rarely those where a fraction of an inch of clearance around the rockers is the factor that determines getting through or not. And bending the pinch seams up would be a 'never going back' option that I'm not convinced I'm ready for.

I'm also pondering the strength versus weight question. I don't typically find myself in rocks - it can be the case in a few places here, but not many. But as the folds in my fenders make clear a bad decision close to a tree can cause issues. Aluminium appeals, but the flip side is that the secondary steel section on the Savvy style approach is of necessity larger than the rub rail on the mini boat sides. But overall the Savvy approach is about 20lbs less and if I am not going mini boatside maybe that 20lbs is worth saving. Still mulling it over though.