Rocky Mountain Billy Goat Build

This needed more hands and the BFH Garage, finally deleted the butt crack. Huge thank you to @jjvw and @hosejockey61, this isn’t a small project.

The scariest part is cutting your frame, but it’s easy to get over. Don’t be an idiot like me and get one side slightly crooked, if you imagine that plane sliding up the gap you create a larger gap than just the cutoff wheel. It’s a skill I still need to work

View attachment 268580
Next you need to notch out the frame, Not everyone does this and will fabricate a new bottom, pick your poison
View attachment 268579
You want this smiling fish to shut its mouth, tack it in place and chop off the little extra chin that sticks out after you close up the notched out area. You can see my fubar’ed cut on the inboard side of this frame rail.
View attachment 268578
Bolt up the rear crossmember after you cleaned it all up to weld. It should be close but need some love to push it into place since that bolts are a hinge point.
View attachment 268577
After that we welded what was exposed and ground it down for the following two bits.
View attachment 268576
From there Mike fabricated the pieces to box back in the top of the frame.
View attachment 268575
Again we ground those down a bit for the fish plate. I learned today why it’s called that and that it makes it so there’s no points for load to focus and cause premature failure.

View attachment 268574

And the absence of a crack I was after.
View attachment 268573
To the untrained eye the savvy skid now looks like it’s lowered. But it’s in the same location as before, just on the lower of the two heights only on the visible side.

I think when I outboard I may consider playing with ideas to address the crossmember over the frame arches to gain another inch with the gas tank. Since with an LJ you hit the rear more often, I wouldn’t mind getting something there.
This has been on my to do list since I helped josh with his. Maybe this winter I will get to it, assuming my cracking manifolds are no longer an issue!

There’s just enough room to check out clearance. The front is limited by the arch crossmember, as expected. The rear has about 3/4” shy until it contacts the tub. That pretty much answers the idea of gaining much more in the GTS.

I could probably slot the skid bolts vertically and rely on clamping force but with the way I’ve been coming down on things back there, I’ll work on that issue before addressing anything like the bolt tension.

This needed more hands and the BFH Garage, finally deleted the butt crack. Huge thank you to @jjvw and @hosejockey61, this isn’t a small project.

The scariest part is cutting your frame, but it’s easy to get over. Don’t be an idiot like me and get one side slightly crooked, if you imagine that plane sliding up the gap you create a larger gap than just the cutoff wheel. It’s a skill I still need to work on.

View attachment 268580
Next you need to notch out the frame, Not everyone does this and will fabricate a new bottom, pick your poison.
View attachment 268579
You want this smiling fish to shut its mouth, tack it in place and chop off the little extra chin that sticks out after you close up the notched out area. You can see my fubar’ed cut on the inboard side of this frame rail.
View attachment 268578
Bolt up the rear crossmember after you cleaned it all up to weld. It should be close but need some love to push it into place since those bolts are a hinge point.
View attachment 268577
After that we welded what was exposed and ground it down for the following two bits.
View attachment 268576
From there Mike fabricated the pieces to box back in the top of the frame.
View attachment 268575
Again we ground those down a bit for the fish plate. I learned today why it’s called that and that it makes it so there’s no points for load to focus and cause premature failure.

View attachment 268574

And the absence of a crack I was after.
View attachment 268573
To the untrained eye the savvy skid now looks like it’s lowered. But it’s in the same location as before, just on the lower of the two heights only on the visible side.

I think when I outboard I may consider playing with ideas to address the crossmember over the frame arches to gain another inch with the gas tank. Since with an LJ you hit the rear more often, I wouldn’t mind getting something there.
Just watched this on BFH Garage on YouTube.
Great stuff!

Finally permanently mounted my license plate. I threaded the aluminum for m6 screws. The light isn’t hooked up yet since I yanked the 3rd brake light wiring a while back, so I’ll have to do something there eventually. Hopefully the police just think it’s out for now 😅

92EADAA3-9FFE-441F-957A-984311BC11AA.jpeg

So many good fab projects going on here. I like the raised body mounts. I think Barnes4wd offers a boxed in body mount that I'll be using. Nice work!

Reactions: rasband
So many good fab projects going on here. I like the raised body mounts. I think Barnes4wd offers a boxed in body mount that I'll be using. Nice work!
There's a few different places that make boxed in ones (Artec is another one), but I chose these since they don't hang down quite as much.

Thanks!

driver side mostly done:

View attachment 269296
Since my corners arent savvy, here’s some notes on doing the passenger side (mostly relevant for the driver too):

1. I taped where I wanted the bolt centers to go on the rail itself to mark the bolt location, leaving a little play in the slot since I’m not as precise as I wish I was.
2. Clamp the rail into place to transfer those marks to your tub armor
3. Mark the distance down from there for the bolt center, for me that was 7/8”. Center punch it!
4. A few bolts of the rub rail interfered with the GenRight bolts for the armor, easy solution is to drop the armor end bolts!
5. If you got the GenRight backing plate, you’ll drop it. Here’s some steel scrap for your pile.
6. Use the long bolts on the sides, get them all aligned in the rail and be sure to square up the carriage heads if the room allows
7. Use the shortest carriage bolt for the rear - this allows you to get all bolts along the side to get into the slots before worrying about the backside bolt.
8. You’ll probably need to spin bolts for them to sit in the slot right, but that’s easy.
9. Trim the passenger side more than planned if you run an exogate.

CBDB83D7-23B6-4AAE-979E-EBFAF4D0F9A3.jpeg

A7E829A5-21B2-4BAB-B765-1D395A0C8F54.jpeg

373354A8-CAC5-4D22-9897-B227B80FAD77.jpeg

In this week’s episode of Driving By Braille, we feature Matt:

Bumper and steering skid doing what we expect:

70EE4D69-33AF-4C1C-8093-15B83D9F1141.jpeg
BCCF5E18-97B3-43C6-A381-DF0924110580.jpeg

I got contact on the tie rod, drag link, and axle tube. The first two didn’t bend (at least noticeably). That’s somewhat thanks to the tie rod flip.

82BD22DB-BABF-4889-A05E-4AED7AB76FA9.jpeg

BAFB976C-FBE5-419C-B65B-45D694F3BCE4.jpeg

These aren’t pretty, but they did things.

2681CB52-3B77-498A-8446-A6A026E24CBB.jpeg

More pumpkin contact, some of it pretty hard. The Ram covers are doing well (but I may have a replacement for the front inbound…)
52FB1A84-F8AC-4817-BC33-D7C674803B96.jpeg

After getting stuck on something I’ll complain about in a minute, we heard a pop while running line… turns out it was the clip on my recent front DS replacement. Also visible on the engine skid.

24E1A4AE-56CC-443A-A7F9-30BFF269810A.jpeg

Frame rails and TC skid
0BCCD9F3-6E41-465C-B94E-2EB62C560C29.jpeg

F68140D1-EFC3-4A13-84A7-9B71AA244046.jpeg

188809A8-4037-43D5-A931-79E3DC58E7D6.jpeg

These wheel’s suck, so they’re going sway ASAP. This isn’t evidence of them sucking, just getting rocks in
2C81A177-D0F1-416D-8CCE-B2709F19FEDA.jpeg

Rear diff I got stuck on
1C22424D-30F7-41D5-8BB0-D95A100F9966.jpeg

Now for those that hung in there, I’m going to comment on GenRight’s design for the mini boat sides.

4006404F-D51F-4BD0-849B-909212C119CD.jpeg

F2133AC4-DEE9-4E10-9818-B0F2A48684AF.jpeg

The boat side bit is great, these pictures show that I’m using the gains. However the bar/step/whatever shows how there’s a rather large interference. Noticeably throughout the day it caused more harm than good on a number of occasions. I can say I intentionally used them. Few times to pivot a bit, but those marks are higher up mostly.

I think something is necessary, so it’s not all bad. However it’s mounted much too low and bulky. I have some thinking to do on what I want there. I think it may be a combination of higher and tighter that compliments the line the boat side allows for. As long as nothing else is hang-upable there but slidable would be good. Or maybe nothing and consider the slider a wear item over the long run?

FB49DBC5-B08B-4265-A85D-5D1D1722E984.jpeg

for those of you that can still externally balance your wheels those coyote inner bead locks might be an alternative to expensive bead locked rims. almost can't believe someone's not runnin um yet.

or is there any value to a narrower rim to create more side wall bulge and help protect the rim? or it all gets gets mashed out of the way not matter what?

beat it up, thats why you made it .

It was nice to see the boatside doing what it is supposed to do. You were able to sink further into the rocks and keep wheels on the ground that much more.

Those steps only get in the way. I don't understand why so many think they are a good idea. Get a higher and tighter rub rail below the door sill and you can still do the pivoting thing while still having the Jeep not get in the way of itself.

for those of you that can still externally balance your wheels those coyote inner bead locks might be an alternative to expensive bead locked rims. almost can't believe someone's not runnin um yet.

or is there any value to a narrower rim to create more side wall bulge and help protect the rim? or it all gets gets mashed out of the way not matter what?

beat it up, thats why you made it .
I have so many issues with discount tire already I can only imagine them asking about the two valves and doing something dumb. I have no doubt those are absolutely great, but it seems like it much more than I want to have to maintain. I’m still mulling on it though.

It was nice to see the boatside doing what it is supposed to do. You were able to sink further into the rocks and keep wheels on the ground that much more.

Those steps only get in the way. I don't understand why so many think they are a good idea. Get a higher and tighter rub rail below the door sill and you can still do the pivoting thing while still having the Jeep not get in the way of itself.
I agree, I need to look at the sliders a bit today, but I am thinking a stainless rail like the rub rails or something along that line. I wish the backer portion, for lack of a better term, went all the way to the door.