Rooftop tent or regular tent?

Rooftops are all the craze. Though I don't want the added weight, height, leverage and only use it on the weekends.

How durable, how light, how quick to setup, how much are you willing to spend? I have a smittybilt rtt on my f-150 attached to my diamondback bed cover. Works great but noisy when open and the wind is high.

I use a purpose built tent from lone rider for my motorcycle and likely when camping/traveling with the Jeep.

neither was “cheap”. But both are awesome at the task.

I have been looking at swag bags ( probably because I’m watching too much 4wd action on YouTube). But the pack size puts me off given how little space exists in the tj

answer your needs question first then look to fill those needs.

I've gotta go with both too, cause it really depends on what your up to. Sometimes for a quick trip or where space is a major issue I will take a ground tent and be perfectly happy.

Otherwise I am in love with my RTT, setup is a breeze and its actually more comfortable. One thing i've noticed with a RTT is that you can set up camp in areas that you would not normally set up or be able to set up a ground tent.

These are my ground tents:
https://www.rei.com/product/829232/nemo-espri-le-3-tent
https://www.rei.com/product/894015/rei-co-op-kingdom-4-tent-2018

This is my rooftop tent: https://www.yakima.com/skyrise-hd-2-sm-tan

Reactions: tomtaylz
I have a roof top tent also, but i put it on a trailer, so I don't have to haul it on my Jeep. I absolutely love it. Just pull the cover and flip it over, and it is set up. Just as easy to put away. Wife won't go camping with me if we are sleeping on the ground, but even with that said, I like it much better also.

BTW I have the Smittybuilt too, it has been great. I also have the add-ons like the awning and annex room.

I have neither, I have a slide in self contained truck camper for the tow rig.

Other than that I hang a hammock with a tarp under it and over.

Coming up the guys I usually run with do an annual night run, we start a trail around 10ish PM and end up setting up camp somewhere on the trail around 1-3 AM. We all set up tents, but I still hang my hammock. There’s usually a decent amount of snow but I still stay plenty warm in my setup. This year I’ll take some pictures since some of the guys have some pretty nice tents. A rooftop tent would probably work but we slide a lot and I think they would bounce off trees and get damaged. We also like to keep our rigs decently light

Reactions: GaTechTJ and ac_
Wouldn't a roof top tent require a roof rack? That's alot of top weight on a Jeep. IMHO. I vote regular tent. Way cheaper. Way more versatile. And I'd think a regular tent would be alot easier to upgrade or replace. Plus it's not out in the weather all the time. As I'd assume a roof top tent wouldn't be something easily taken off and stored in your garage each time. Not to mention the cost. I'd spend that extra money on other Jeep improvements before a RTT.

Wouldn't a roof top tent require a roof rack? That's alot of top weight on a Jeep. IMHO. I vote regular tent. Way cheaper. Way more versatile. And I'd think a regular tent would be alot easier to upgrade or replace. Plus it's not out in the weather all the time. As I'd assume a roof top tent wouldn't be something easily taken off and stored in your garage each time. Not to mention the cost. I'd spend that extra money on other Jeep improvements before a RTT.
My RTT is on my trailer and parked inside the garage.

IMG_20180721_150201752.jpg

My RTT is on my trailer and parked inside the garage.

Ya. Your's is different. I've admired it's utility for some time. And it would be cool to have a trailer some day. But I'm still not sold on RTT's though. PRobably because I'm a big guy. 6'3" 250. Getting up into a RTT does not appeal to me. I feel like something would break and fall. lol. Plus it's so much weight to pull or carry around. I'm more comfortable with a 5lb tent and being on the ground. But that's just me. I could see where some folks like to be up off the ground. But for me it's part of the experience of living outdoors. And most of my time spent outdoors isn't beside my Jeep. The Jeep gets parked at a trailhead. SO that's a big difference too. If your car camping it makes more sense. But with a $1000+ expense and over 100lb weight penalty. I'm part of the ground tent crowd. :)

Reactions: ac_
Ya. Your's is different. I've admired it's utility for some time. And it would be cool to have a trailer some day. But I'm still not sold on RTT's though. PRobably because I'm a big guy. 6'3" 250. Getting up into a RTT does not appeal to me. I feel like something would break and fall. lol. Plus it's so much weight to pull or carry around. I'm more comfortable with a 5lb tent and being on the ground. But that's just me. I could see where some folks like to be up off the ground. But for me it's part of the experience of living outdoors. And most of my time spent outdoors isn't beside my Jeep. The Jeep gets parked at a trailhead. SO that's a big difference too. If your car camping it makes more sense. But with a $1000+ expense and over 100lb weight penalty. I'm part of the ground tent crowd. :)
I am 6.0 and 240, and I have no issues with my RTT. It is actually really strong. I too understand not wanting it on the roof of my Jeep I wouldn't either, That is why like @lowranger, I have mine on the trailer. I understand your wanting to not tow a trailer or have a RTT, but just wanted you to know that it would have no problems holding you, if you ever changed your mind.