Rooftop tent or regular tent?

I typically just use a traditional tent, I don't see a way that an RTT works on a TJ. The JK guys seem big into them though.

If it were up to me I would build a trailer like a few of the above guys have, but my wife has a requirement that we have an internal restroom so we can do family trips across the country without paying for hotels.

This is what I have planned for one of my future purchases. RTT would be nice if/when I get around to building a trailer.
https://www.oztent.us/products/oztent-eyre-e1

A friend of mine has an Oz Tent. It is a very nice tent, although I must confess that I have always liked Baker-style tents.

How would you store it? if I recall correctly, they are very long when rolled up.

I typically just use a traditional tent, I don't see a way that an RTT works on a TJ. The JK guys seem big into them though.

If it were up to me I would build a trailer like a few of the above guys have, but my wife has a requirement that we have an internal restroom so we can do family trips across the country without paying for hotels.
Indoor plumbing.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071KVYR1W/?tag=wranglerorg-20

A friend of mine has an Oz Tent. It is a very nice tent, although I must confess that I have always liked Baker-style tents.

How would you store it? if I recall correctly, they are very long when rolled up.
That's a question I have asked myself too. I just haven't figured it out in my head yet if I want to have some kind of a rack mounted to a receiver hitch or a easily removable over the roof rack??? I'm sure it wont be too hard to come up with something once I get the tent.

That would be kind of a cool idea lol Set up a poll each week and let the users decide what mods get done and how it gets built lol

That could be a fun forum game. Vote on a different mod each week and put it all together into some kind of bizarre fantasy committee Jeep.

That could be a fun forum game. Vote on a different mod each week and put it all together into some kind of bizarre fantasy committee Jeep.

Does the forum also fund it? I’d be up for a game of Russian Roulette on a salvage title to build for my 4yro..

Probably a cruel joke on him though.

Does the forum also fund it? I’d be up for a game of Russian Roulette on a salvage title to build for my 4yro..

Probably a cruel joke on him though.

My first thought was that this would be a text based game. But @Chris has enough children that at least one or two could be enlisted to draw up a rendering as this design adventure progresses.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
I really like the way your setup looks, and I plan on building a trailer and mount a rtt the same way. We camp a lot, and getting off the ground in the spring and fall would be nice because it sucks to get caught in the Oregon rain with a ground tent.
Yes, and on one of our trips, we camped in a rocky Creek bed to be close to the water......no problem.

Buying a RTT opens you to a whole new world. You’ll be considered an “Overlander” immediately. Your rock crawling buddies will stop talking to you.

Once embraced by the Overlanding crowd, you will feel compelled to buy more very expensive gear. Like a vehicle mounted fridge, which leads to an on board kitchen. Forget buying camp chairs at Walmart or Target for $10...You’ll need super expensive, highly engineered chairs from a company in Australia.

Then, your wardrobe will need to be updated. Lightweight hiking pants, hiking shoes made out of exotic space aged materials, and a tech filled, multi layer jacket “system” will be in order too.

RTT’s are the gateway to a rabbit hole I don’t want to go down.

Buying a RTT opens you to a whole new world. You’ll be considered an “Overlander” immediately. Your rock crawling buddies will stop talking to you.

Once embraced by the Overlanding crowd, you will feel compelled to buy more very expensive gear. Like a vehicle mounted fridge, which leads to an on board kitchen. Forget buying camp chairs at Walmart or Target for $10...You’ll need super expensive, highly engineered chairs from a company in Australia.

Then, your wardrobe will need to be updated. Lightweight hiking pants, hiking shoes made out of exotic space aged materials, and a tech filled, multi layer jacket “system” will be in order too.

RTT’s are the gateway to a rabbit hole I don’t want to go down.

I agree and see what you are saying, but I have a RTT, and I am way too cheap to go full-on overland. I just like the ease of hauling and setting up my RTT. It is on the top of a utility trailer that hauls my quad. I can go riding all day flip my RTT over and pass out. Then the next morning fiip it back over, and go home. Don't need a $3K kitchenette. I do have a cooler that plugs into a power plug, but it only cost 50 bucks. So, if you are cheap like me, then you can avoid going full overland. Now fixing up my TJ, that is a whole different rabbit hole.

I agree and see what you are saying, but I have a RTT, and I am way too cheap to go full-on overland. I just like the ease of hauling and setting up my RTT. It is on the top of a utility trailer that hauls my quad. I can go riding all day flip my RTT over and pass out. Then the next morning fiip it back over, and go home. Don't need a $3K kitchenette. I do have a cooler that plugs into a power plug, but it only cost 50 bucks. So, if you are cheap like me, then you can avoid going full overland. Now fixing up my TJ, that is a whole different rabbit hole.

I was just poking fun at my RTT owning friends. It seems a few went full tilt into overlanding shortly after buying their RTT's. They wont even meet us for coffee at DD anymore. Its high brow coffee houses with feng-shui interior decorating for them now.

I like them myself. But it's counter productive to my offroading style, which is rock crawling and renting cabins..lol

I am seriously considering one for my tow vehicle, or a pop-up slide in job.

Reactions: ac_ and reddvltj
Here in the north I use a wall tent. Super light that allows me to use a woodstove too. Backup in areas of high bear activity is the jeep with window screens

IMG_20190514_180648308 (1).jpg

Reactions: ac_ and Stevemack