• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Rooftop tent or regular tent?

Shamu

Supporting Member
I’ve been using a Gazelle T3 tent on my last couple of trips. Fits perfectly across the rear wheel wells of the TJ. Sets up in less than 2 minutes and is self supporting (nice if the ground is not stake friendly). The T3 is a mansion (and a tad lighter) compared to the Kamp-Rite tent cot I was using previously.

The pic is from last month’s trip to Canyonlands NP Maze Distric. The Wall campsite. Rocky ground so we used our Jeeps as windbreaks and heavy items (water jugs & recovery gear) as anchors.
3BD3F46F-4534-4AC6-AB9A-99BAFC1F4EC3.jpeg

Baltimoreed

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Afraid I’m too old for tent camping anymore. I’d break something getting into a RTT. We camped when I was first married but my gal wasn’t really a camper. She was too buggaphobic. She preferred hotels or condos at the beach.

Baltimoreed

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I’m 68 but even with my last July’s knee replacement camping isn’t something I’d want to do anymore. Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather be doing something outside than inside most anytime. I’ve always believed when you stop moving you die.

Mr. Bills

TJ Addict
I’m 68 but even with my last July’s knee replacement camping isn’t something I’d want to do anymore. . . .
I turn 69 in two weeks and I'm counting down the days until the start of a 3-week, 2,200 mile overlanding/camping trip to Cabo San Lucas and back over the Christmas holidays.

I've improved my mattress pad as an accommodation to age, and I may not have many more years of camping left in me before my body tells me to stop, but I'm not going to give up easily.

lowranger

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I turn 69 in two weeks and I'm counting down the days until the start of a 3-week, 2,200 mile overlanding/camping trip to Cabo San Lucas and back over the Christmas holidays.

I've improved my mattress pad as an accommodation to age, and I may not have many more years of camping left in me before my body tells me to stop, but I'm not going to give up easily.
I'm with you! Still going strong here in tent camping too, but still use the motorhome for other tips.
Made a 5 day trip through three National Forests last year, camping along the way.
DSCN2601.JPG

Reactions: psrivats and Shamu