Rooftop tent or regular tent?

I’ve been using a Gazelle T3 tent on my last couple of trips. Fits perfectly across the rear wheel wells of the TJ. Sets up in less than 2 minutes and is self supporting (nice if the ground is not stake friendly). The T3 is a mansion (and a tad lighter) compared to the Kamp-Rite tent cot I was using previously.

The pic is from last month’s trip to Canyonlands NP Maze Distric. The Wall campsite. Rocky ground so we used our Jeeps as windbreaks and heavy items (water jugs & recovery gear) as anchors.
View attachment 124133

Afraid I’m too old for tent camping anymore. I’d break something getting into a RTT. We camped when I was first married but my gal wasn’t really a camper. She was too buggaphobic. She preferred hotels or condos at the beach.

I’m 68 but even with my last July’s knee replacement camping isn’t something I’d want to do anymore. Don’t get me wrong, I’d rather be doing something outside than inside most anytime. I’ve always believed when you stop moving you die.

I’m 68 but even with my last July’s knee replacement camping isn’t something I’d want to do anymore. . . .

I turn 69 in two weeks and I'm counting down the days until the start of a 3-week, 2,200 mile overlanding/camping trip to Cabo San Lucas and back over the Christmas holidays.

I've improved my mattress pad as an accommodation to age, and I may not have many more years of camping left in me before my body tells me to stop, but I'm not going to give up easily.

I turn 69 in two weeks and I'm counting down the days until the start of a 3-week, 2,200 mile overlanding/camping trip to Cabo San Lucas and back over the Christmas holidays.

I've improved my mattress pad as an accommodation to age, and I may not have many more years of camping left in me before my body tells me to stop, but I'm not going to give up easily.
I'm with you! Still going strong here in tent camping too, but still use the motorhome for other tips.
Made a 5 day trip through three National Forests last year, camping along the way.
DSCN2601.JPG

I’ve been using a Gazelle T3 tent on my last couple of trips. Fits perfectly across the rear wheel wells of the TJ. Sets up in less than 2 minutes and is self supporting (nice if the ground is not stake friendly). The T3 is a mansion (and a tad lighter) compared to the Kamp-Rite tent cot I was using previously.

View attachment 124133

We just bought a Gazelle T8 this year, a large 9x16 foot two room tent. We have enough room to keep all our gear accessible, and each room has a queen size inflatable cot that all unused gear stores under. Mind you, this camping setup does not work for our TJ, but it is what the JT was purchased for. (camp stoves, fridge, beds, tent... all fit nicely in the bed.) If I had a trailer, the TJ could just drag the gear...

Reactions: TWiG01
How old is too old for tent camping?

I’m 68 but even with my last July’s knee replacement camping isn’t something I’d want to do anymore.

Its now almost a year later, I turn 70 over the Thanksgiving holiday, and I'm counting the days until I can cross the border and travel the length of Baja again.

Last year's trip was a great success. My ground tent was up to the task, and so were my creaky knees.

One campsite:

Campsite at Guadalupe Canyon 1.jpg

But I learned a couple of things, one being that a steady diet of tent camping gets old after a while. Especially when one starts getting older.

Which reminded me of this post from earlier in this thread:

Just buy an RV, problem solved 😉

So shortly after my return from a 9-day overlanding/tent camping trip in August I bought this 23' Mercedes Benz Sprinter 4WD Class B motorhome for my next Baja trip and to flat tow my LJ:
Drivers Side 2.JPG
Passenger Side.jpg
Interior 2.JPG
Ad Photo 2.jpeg

I always "baseline" the maintenance of any new acquisition and install new tires. New BFG All Terrain T/A KO2 "Three Peak Mountain Snowflake" severe weather rated LT265/75R16-E tires went on yesterday. The shakedown cruise is next week.

Last edited:
I did a thing. At KOH2020 I slept in a borrowed RTT. Long story, bottom line is I thought it was ok.
I subsequently bought it off my buddy afterwards. Have it on my tow rig. Has worked out great for cheap accommodations when wheeling.

Glad to report that I haven’t gone FULL geek.

I’m still wearing Costco hiking boots and Walmart hiking pants. But I did upgrade my coffee selections.

Attachments

• 06DA6055-A06D-4F71-826A-5F705AD322E8.jpeg
    06DA6055-A06D-4F71-826A-5F705AD322E8.jpeg
    519.2 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: reddvltj
I’ve had ground tents. Always kinda hated it but loved it was a weird feeling. I have wanted a roof top tent since I saw my friend with one. But it’s just not in my price range. Not YET. But so I offer a 3rd option. Hammock. Not the crappy ones you find at Walmart buy a decent one. I attach it to my roll bar, roof rack or stinger on my bumper and the other side to a tree. After you do some research and know how to sleep in it good that’s my option for now. And it’s only about $50 for my set up being able to sleep off the ground. For what it is I love it.

I have several options and it usually comes down to where I'm going and if I'm going with my wife or alone. If with her we take "her" trailer which is a tear drop or "Tear Pop" as the lid lifts up and we can actually stand up. With a 54"x74" bed inside and a furnace it's pretty comfortable.

I'm perfectly fine with tent camping though and in many ways prefer it. I'm 68 and so far so good. My main options are my 2 man air tent (no poles) or SUV tent which I would more likely take if I'm camping with my brother or sons. One of this winter's MANY projects is build a side entry clam shell RTT for my off-road / small toy hauler trailer. I think trailer height is good for an RTT especially when I get out to water the plants in the middle of the night. I also like to establish a base camp and head out from there for the day so the trailer/tent will stay behind. It will be a straight forward project ... except for the sewing which I have no clue about ... yet.

20-06-25 6.JPG
20-09-27 4.JPG
Tent - Cabel's SUV 2.JPG
20-10-19 6.JPG

Reactions: oldtimer
No roof tent for me. I don't understand why you would like to climb up and down a ladder at night just to take a pee. I have never seen a advantage to a rooftop.

There's always an alternative, including ones for women. They're probably best if you're on your own though. This is an expensive one. Some are as simple as an old small laundry detergent bottle with a handle. Don't ask me how I know this stuff.

Urinals for Men Spill Proof by PerfectMed (2 Pack) - 32 oz/ 1000 ml | Portable Urine Bottle Bed Pan W/Glow in Dark Lid | Thick Plastic Pee Bottle: Amazon.ca: Health & Personal Care

There's always an alternative, including ones for women. They're probably best if you're on your own though. This is an expensive one. Some are as simple as an old small laundry detergent bottle with a handle. Don't ask me how I know this stuff.

Urinals for Men Spill Proof by PerfectMed (2 Pack) - 32 oz/ 1000 ml | Portable Urine Bottle Bed Pan W/Glow in Dark Lid | Thick Plastic Pee Bottle: Amazon.ca: Health & Personal Care
For the ladies....
(you know the ones that don't have a little something extra down stairs.... sorry I just read the last few posts on the Rona thread :ROFLMAO:)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PD2DHZC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

1606168272786.png

Reactions: reddvltj