California Rubicon Trail Run

Well now your just boasting haha..Im twice as jealous.
I have to agree with you though. Moab is at the top of my list closely followed by the Rubicon.
Fly on down and find a seat to ride in lol. Good thing about Moab is if you visit you can rent a fairly built jeep.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
So you’re coming out next year? I’m going to Moab next Easter.
Yes Im coming next year...I figured if I start saving now...I can make it.
I'm hoping I can do a round trip of a few States, fingers crossed ;) I cant let you guys have ALL the fun lol

Last edited:
Also on the bucket list, as well as Arizona, So Cal desert, Central Sierras, Washington and Oregon.
I had tons of fun in Calico and would love to go back. My father in law wheeled there back in the day so we had a great guide while there. We only wheeled for a few days but I could see spending 5 or so days there. With your RV you could dry camp and never need to air your tires back up.

Your list is making me want an RV I can tow the jeep behind. :ROFLMAO: I think I'll need a bit more land first though since I don't have anywhere to put it and I think paying storage kills all the fun.

I had tons of fun in Calico and would love to go back. My father in law wheeled there back in the day so we had a great guide while there. We only wheeled for a few days but I could see spending 5 or so days there. With your RV you could dry camp and never need to air your tires back up.

Your list is making me want an RV I can tow the jeep behind. :ROFLMAO: I think I'll need a bit more land first though since I don't have anywhere to put it and I think paying storage kills all the fun.

The RV does broaden my range. Finding the time to go places is the buzz kill. That will hopefully change when I retire. Sadly, that' s 10 years away. :cry:

The RV does broaden my range. Finding the time to go places is the buzz kill. That will hopefully change when I retire. Sadly, that' s 10 years away. :cry:
Well hell. In 10 years maybe I'll have an RV and can tag along on some of the adventures. I'll just say the trips are for "marketing" ;)

Reactions: bobthetj03

Calico is @Jerry Bransford country! that could be fun.

Reactions: Alex01
It's very fun, I was just there again this past weekend. I led 15 Jeeps through two of the canyons there (Doran and Odessa) and we had a ball.
The Doran gatekeeper is no joke. I chose the bypass when I went.

Reactions: DrDmoney
The Doran gatekeeper is no joke. I chose the bypass when I went.
The Gatekeeper is nearly impassible now. It has gotten so washed out over the years that only extremely well built rigs with huge tires & axles even stand a chance of making it up and not even many of them do without breakage. Two friends of mine are King of the Hammers competitors (been on the podium a few times) and they broke their front AND rear axles one night on the Gatekeeper. This past weekend a guy in my group had gi-normous axles with 42" tires and he only made it half-way up before backing down. I made it up the Gatekeeper a half-dozen times but that was years ago before it really got tough.

Even Doran Canyon after the bypass around the Gatekeeper got significantly tougher recently. I've wheeled Doran/Odessa canyons a half-dozen times in the past size months alone and this past Saturday really got my attention, it took us a lot longer to get up Doran than ever before. I almost flopped my TJ onto its side at one point when I wasn't paying quite enough attention at a place that hadn't been a problem before but became one. It's darned near a legitimately tough trail right now.

Reactions: DrDmoney

You could always rent one, you can pay for a trip just with the the savings from a years storage, insurance, maintenance, and registration. That’s not including payments you don’t have to make.

Reactions: bobthetj03