California Rubicon Trail Run

I'd like to do that as well next year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sweet I’ll start a thread this time next year unless someone beats me to it.
That trail is a little long at 30+ miles probably a 3 day, plenty of good fishing also. I have a T4R buddy that wants to do it also.

Have we narrowed down the dates yet?

Reactions: Alex01
Indy and I have reservations here Sunday thru Thursday,

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232874/campsites
Our plan is to base camp here, then drive to the trail head at Loon Monday morning, then roll into base camp on our exit of the trail for a hot shower and a cozy bed. Hope those dates work for ya'll.
Then are you planning on the trail taking 3 days (2 nights)?

I was under the impression we were going to run it either the 16-17 or 17-18 (1 night on the trail)

Then are you planning on the trail taking 3 days (2 nights)?

I was under the impression we were going to run it either the 16-17 or 17-18 (1 night on the trail)

That will all depend on how early we get started. My plan was for only one night on the trail, but it's the Con, so I wanted a cushion in case things don't work out. I will not run Big Sluice at 10 oclock at night ever again! A good gauge is to see where we are time wise at Buck Island Lake. Ideally, it would be nice to make it to the Springs before dark, setup camp, then finish up Cadillac and on out next day.

Reactions: DrDmoney
That will all depend on how early we get started. My plan was for only one night on the trail, but it's the Con, so I wanted a cushion in case things don't work out. I will not run Big Sluice at 10 oclock at night ever again! A good gauge is to see where we are time wise at Buck Island Lake. Ideally, it would be nice to make it to the Springs before dark, setup camp, then finish up Cadillac and on out next day.
Perfect. That makes more sense. I'll put it in my calendar to be at loon Lake at 8am on the 16th.

Reactions: bobthetj03
Perfect. That makes more sense. I'll put it in my calendar to be at loon Lake at 8am on the 16th.

ideally we can make it through In 2 days easily, but as @bobthetj03 has pointed out the key to it will be making it to Rubicon Springs before it gets dark everyone should plan to be at Loon gassed up, aired down, and ready to roll at no later than 8 am. I will be there a little earlier due to my OCD. The last gas before the Con is Fresh Pond but I will gas up in Pollock Pines and grab a mocha at Safeway/Starbucks at 5am from there it’s a little over an hour and a half to the dam. I have a T4R buddy that might be going as well. The distance from Pollock to the trail is about 43 miles and the trail is about half as long as that so a tank is usually plenty I will be bringing an extra 4 gallons of gas as a precaution (OCD) but will leave it in the can unless needed. I’m bringing 2 camp nights worth of food + water just in case (again OCD) extra warm clothes are a must as the weather is very unpredictable this time of year. I’m planning on running topless with trail doors so my dog doesn’t fall out. The wife works up there so she won’t be going. The list so far is;
@Alex01
@bobthetj03
@Daryl
@DrDmoney
@ImpactOrange
@06TJ35's
@Indy
@mtngoattj
@Thunderhead
@49mercpapo (possibly)
My buddy Sergio + his son in his T4R

ideally we can make it through In 2 days easily, but as @bobthetj03 has pointed out the key to it will be making it to Rubicon Springs before it gets dark everyone should plan to be at Loon gassed up, aired down, and ready to roll at no later than 8 am. I will be there a little earlier due to my OCD. The last gas before the Con is Fresh Pond but I will gas up in Pollock Pines and grab a mocha at Safeway/Starbucks at 5am from there it’s a little over an hour and a half to the dam. I have a T4R buddy that might be going as well. The distance from Pollock to the trail is about 43 miles and the trail is about half as long as that so a tank is usually plenty I will be bringing an extra 4 gallons of gas as a precaution (OCD) but will leave it in the can unless needed. I’m bringing 2 camp nights worth of food + water just in case (again OCD) extra warm clothes are a must as the weather is very unpredictable this time of year. I’m planning on running topless with trail doors so my dog doesn’t fall out. The wife works up there so she won’t be going. The list so far is;
@Alex01
@bobthetj03
@Daryl
@DrDmoney
@ImpactOrange
@06TJ35's
@Indy
@mtngoattj
@Thunderhead
@49mercpapo (possibly)
My buddy Sergio + his son in his T4R
Your OCD answered all my remaining questions. Thanks for the thorough breakdown.

So the start date will be Monday September 16, anyone interested should meet at the bottom of the dam before 8am ready to roll at 8am. Please leave early enough to avoid having to drive to fast on Icehouse Road, I’ve had everything including a bear run out in front of me there. Does everyone have either a CB or UHF/VHF radio for coms on the trail?

So the start date will be Monday September 16, anyone interested should meet at the bottom of the dam before 8am ready to roll at 8am. Please leave early enough to avoid having to drive to fast on Icehouse Road, I’ve had everything including a bear run out in front of me there. Does everyone have either a CB or UHF/VHF radio for coms on the trail?
I have a CB.
Anyone up for Slickrock in July?
What dates are you thinking?

Reactions: DrDmoney
Re Slickrock:

I will be in the Mattley Meadows/Corral Hollow area July 11-14 on an annual trip with a group of overlanders I've known for many years. Its usually Father's Day weekend but the snow has pushed it back to July. Slickrock is just up the road.

I plan to motel it in Murphys or Arnold on Thursday the 11th and can do Slickrock on Friday the 12th. I could possibly detour from the group and do Slickrock on Saturday the 13th then re-join their camp Saturday night for the Corral Hollow portion of that trip on Sunday.

Just throwing it out there.

Re Slickrock:

I will be in the Mattley Meadows/Corral Hollow area July 11-14 on an annual trip with a group of overlanders I've known for many years. Its usually Father's Day weekend but the snow has pushed it back to July. Slickrock is just up the road.

I plan to motel it in Murphys or Arnold on Thursday the 11th and can do Slickrock on Friday the 12th. I could possibly detour from the group and do Slickrock on Saturday the 13th then re-join their camp Saturday night for the Corral Hollow portion of that trip on Sunday.

Just throwing it out there.
I may be interested in joining for a slickrock run on the 13th. I'll need to talk to the boss and find a grandparent to watch the baby. :p