California Rubicon Trail Run

It's been a few years since I've tent camped, so I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to pack for an overnighter on the trail. I'll have my wife and my 85lb. lab, so room will be at a premium. I have some basket ideas for the roll bars, and already have a small basket setup on the tire carrier. The last time I ran the trail, we started late, after 10AM, and didn't make it to the springs until 10PM. It was not fun running Big Sluice in the dark! We should have stayed the night at Buck Island lake, but we were fools. Can a run to the springs be done in one day if we leave early enough?

It's been a few years since I've tent camped, so I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to pack for an overnighter on the trail. I'll have my wife and my 85lb. lab, so room will be at a premium. I have some basket ideas for the roll bars, and already have a small basket setup on the tire carrier. The last time I ran the trail, we started late, after 10AM, and didn't make it to the springs until 10PM. It was not fun running Big Sluice in the dark! We should have stayed the night at Buck Island lake, but we were fools. Can a run to the springs be done in one day if we leave early enough?
A lot depends on the vehicles that are going and how many others are on the trail, either way I recommend an early start so we don’t feel rushed. It’s been awhile since I’ve been on the trail and I’ve heard it’s not as challenging.

So your saying buy more flood lights lol 🤣
A lot depends on the vehicles that are going and how many others are on the trail, either way I recommend an early start so we don’t feel rushed. It’s been awhile since I’ve been on the trail and I’ve heard it’s not as challenging.
Early start sounds good to me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DrDmoney
Reactions: bobthetj03