Running hot

Finally

As summer ramps up i have noticed my '97 Tj is running hot. In that i mean that even with roof and doors off the
engine compartment seems to be generating an excess amount of heat. My right foot was scorched this past weekend
Oil is clean, fluids are fresh and topped up, stock filter is clean.
I don't think it is a performance issue but rather an air supply issue. I am wondering if an upgrade in the air intake
system will help.
Hoping for some advise as i am concerned that IF i am missing something i could be doing some damage to engine THANKs

what kind of fan do you have? the only thing that cools that compartment is engine fan and old fashion driving fast. they do get hot. you can do some venting to ease it but another good one is get some exhaust wrap since alot of the firewalls are just bare metal your going to get alot of heat coming through. you could even get some firewall material and fix it to the compartment to reduce the heat transfer.

Did you take the carpeting out? If you did, that's why... put it back in. The catalytic converter is just under the floor adjacent to the transmission hump and it stays HOT!! Without carpeting or another form of insulation the interior will get and stay hot from the catalytic converter.

1623341371578.png

My after market A/C unit on my 1998.

Yeah if you took your carpet out Jerry is spot on, i take mine out for the summer so i don't mind getting rained on occasionally and I just deal with it on my right foot.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
An aftermarket air intake will not do anything to lower temps. In fact it will not much of anything at all. It’s only real use is when the stock box can not be used due to aftermarket fenders. The heat is just from normal use. As Jerry stated, do you have carpet or any other barrier?

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
what kind of fan do you have? the only thing that cools that compartment is engine fan and old fashion driving fast. they do get hot. you can do some venting to ease it but another good one is get some exhaust wrap since alot of the firewalls are just bare metal your going to get alot of heat coming through. you could even get some firewall material and fix it to the compartment to reduce the heat transfer.
Thanks....so a larger air intake and filter won't help??? I was thinking of doing that anyway.

Thanks....i will look int that
If you've already sold your brain on the louvers look...then you want to hear it will help.

Honestly they won't do a damn thing for your issue.
Heat on the underside of your hood isn't your problem. It's the exhaust right by the tunnel that's doing it.

That carpet isn't just for the little taming it does for the NVH..
It also helps make a barrier from that hot ass cat!!!

My boat...on a ridiculously warm bright sunny day...(I'm always barefoot in the boat fishing)...there is a spot where the carpet is wore through to the plywood. I literally have to be careful not to step there or passengers otherwise it's a trip to the ER. It's really that hot.

Where the carpet is...no problem whatsoever.

Good luck

Reactions: JMT