Hot under the hood

... any suggestions on dealing with floor heat?
#1 make sure the heat shield above the catalytic converter is still in place and #2 keep the carpeting in place Missing either of those will produce a floor hot enough in warm conditions to make life miserable. :)

Both are intact, it really did not become a problem until my wife, akita and I drove from Virginia to Colorado. The heat coming off the transmission was significant. Up until that point I had never really driven more than 6 hours or so at a time and did not have any issues. I should add that I was towing my M416 overland trailer as well and that obviously added to the heat being produced by the transmission. I was just hoping to find a way to either route more air through the bottom of the jeep or redirect the hot air somewhere else...... better insulation under the carpet has also been suggested.....

The heat you're feeling is coming from the catalytic converter which is WAY hotter than the transmission is. The cat is right under the passenger-side floor near the transmission tunnel.

Not sure if you have one but a body lift can change the aerodynamics under the Jeep enough to make the floor hotter by spoiling the airflow over the catalytic converter. Adding insulation between the carpeting and floor would help a lot. There's a lot of inexpensive foil-backed insulation in the roofing departments of stores like Home Depot or Lowes that should work and be a lot less expensive than insulation marketed to car owners.

Do you have any experience with "after market" catalytic converts that are "more free flowing"? I wonder if these produce less heat? I will check the home depot and see what I can find, thanks!!!!

Do you have any experience with "after market" catalytic converts that are "more free flowing"? I wonder if these produce less heat? I will check the home depot and see what I can find, thanks!!!!
Marketing. The factory cat is larger than most of the aftermarket cats and has the same size honeycomb matrix. The factory exhaust is not restrictive.

gotcha, thanks.... my muffler is starting to "decompose" at the seams, I was thinking of doing the Banks car back in stainless steel, thoughts?

There in lies the issue, there are no "local" muffler shops, all there is is Meineke and Midas, neither of which I want anything to do with.....

There in lies the issue, there are no "local" muffler shops, all there is is Meineke and Midas, neither of which I want anything to do with.....
What is your closest city there in Virginia? I wouldn't buy a cat-back out of a catalog either, I'd rather drive to the closest muffler shop, even if it's not close, and tell them what I wanted instead of hoping I liked what UPS delivers. Not to mention you'll save $$$ and help keep your local muffler shops open and employing your friends and neighbors.

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
gotcha, thanks.... my muffler is starting to "decompose" at the seams, I was thinking of doing the Banks car back in stainless steel, thoughts?
Just put a Banks on mine and it sounds nice and everything went together great. No issues at all.

Find it entertaining that you guys warm your food on the top of the engine. I grew up on a farm and around equipment. It all got hot. My father used to talk about running a dozer for hire and said they put a can of beans on the manifold to warm them up for lunch. Later in life, when I started operating equipment of my own, I ran into older guys that told stories of doing the same thing, and they built metal trays that bolted to the manifold of the machine, and held the food in place while operating the machine. One story was that they left a can of beans on the dozer too long, the beans exploded and went all over the engine and smelled like hell for about a week.

What is your closest city there in Virginia? I wouldn't buy a cat-back out of a catalog either, I'd rather drive to the closest muffler shop, even if it's not close, and tell them what I wanted instead of hoping I liked what UPS delivers. Not to mention you'll save $$$ and help keep your local muffler shops open and employing your friends and neighbors.
more than an hour and a half to the nearest "local" muffler shop..... I hear you, and admire your ethos but, for me, it is difficult to justify, it would take more time than I have, three hours travel there and back plus an hour or two for them to do the work, that is an entire day, I do n't get many days off.......

Thanks Jerry, being retired must be awesome!!!! I am very envious...... I may just do that, I usually try to stay out of the uber liberal state of Maryland but for this I may make an exception..... Thank you again!!!

I installed a pair of Gen Right long narrow vents to help with heat soak. Of course a week later I read about the factory fix. But as others have found, it keeps the engine compartment temp down. And you can touch the hood even when the engine is hot AND the Arizona sun is HOT!

What is the factory fix you refer to?

This is it.