Hot under the hood

You're trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.

It's supposed to be hot under the hood. Adding hood vents won't improve your performance or anything like that.

If you're doing it for looks, I totally understand. Just don't do it with the impression that you'll gain anything performance wise, because you won't. Cooler engine temperatures don't equate to anything.

Only putting this out there because some people seem to fall for the myth that making your engine run cooler will some sort of performance gain... which it will not.

I know there’s NO performance benefits to it engine wise, I just want to cool down the engine compartment a bit.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I have had a PS hood louver on my Jeep for many years.

Before install:
I burnt my hand on the hood prop rod on a hot wheeling day.
Foil wrapped frozen burritos or hot dogs were always hot and ready by the lunchtime stop on the trail.

After install:
No more burnt hand. Should've used gloves anyway.
Frozen burritos are now a no go. Hot dogs and thawed burritos are barely warm. Sammiches are better for you.

So for me, venting the hot air under the hood has helped me eat healthier! Engine operating temps have remained the same 210 degrees.

20150708_134750_zpshweci7tf.jpg

I installed a couple of 5.9 ZJ vents in mine. I did not do it to lower engine temp, but to help excess heat escape. I can touch the prop rod after wheeling now without it damn near burning, and the hood temp is quite a bit cooler.

I have the drip pans on, and ZJ guys say removing them helps the heat get out faster.

MVIMG_20180324_151235.jpg
MVIMG_20180324_151320.jpg
IMG_20180324_151410.jpg

Reactions: Squatch and Erik V
I installed a couple of 5.9 ZJ vents in mine. I did not do it to lower engine temp, but to help excess heat escape. I can touch the prop rod after wheeling now without it damn near burning, and the hood temp is quite a bit cooler.

I have the drip pans on, and ZJ guys say removing them helps the heat get out faster.

View attachment 41519 View attachment 41520 View attachment 41521
Nice vents! When I found mine in the junk yard, the PO had chopped a big hole in one of the drip pans. I patched it with a sheet of ABS plastic.

Reactions: derekmac

For anyone who thinks that the drip pans are needed to keep water out of the engine bay (and off our oh-so-sensitive under-hood electronics), take a look at the inside of the hood and tell me that drip pans make any difference at all.

Reactions: jjvw
For anyone who thinks that the drip pans are needed to keep water out of the engine bay (and off our oh-so-sensitive under-hood electronics), take a look at the inside of the hood and tell me that drip pans make any difference at all.

x2. When I take my Jeep to the self service cash wash I will usually give the engine bay a spray on low pressure.

I can't think of a aftermarket louver panel that has drip pans. But, my ZJ louvers had them, so I used them.

I installed a pair of Gen Right long narrow vents to help with heat soak. Of course a week later I read about the factory fix. But as others have found, it keeps the engine compartment temp down. And you can touch the hood even when the engine is hot AND the Arizona sun is HOT!

Reactions: Squatch
To those that have done this; has it helped with your intake air temps when sitting idle or low speed at all? I have torque ap and a bluetooth OBD2 transmitter, and often monitor things like intake air temp and coolant temp, in addition to the normal stuff. Sitting idle on a hot day, the air intake temp can get up to 160F+; that's hot. I'm thinking hood vents would help get that hot air out a little better, especially up where the air pickup is.

Or a cowl intake - but I feel in the winter with the hood covered in ice/snow that wouldn't work well. Snorkel maybe?

To those that have done this; has it helped with your intake air temps when sitting idle or low speed at all? I have torque ap and a bluetooth OBD2 transmitter, and often monitor things like intake air temp and coolant temp, in addition to the normal stuff. Sitting idle on a hot day, the air intake temp can get up to 160F+; that's hot. I'm thinking hood vents would help get that hot air out a little better, especially up where the air pickup is.

Or a cowl intake - but I feel in the winter with the hood covered in ice/snow that wouldn't work well. Snorkel maybe?

My Windstar intake typically keeps the intake temps about 20-60 degrees above ambient. But I've seen them as low as 5 above on the highway if the wind is right. The vents reduced those temps another 5 degrees.

No idea what the vents alone would do. The Windstar already significantly reduced the engine bay temps all by itself.

To those that have done this; has it helped with your intake air temps when sitting idle or low speed at all? Sitting idle on a hot day, the air intake temp can get up to 160F+; that's hot. I'm thinking hood vents would help get that hot air out a little better, especially up where the air pickup is.
I don't think it matters. The computer is going to measure the air, (O2 sensor), and adjust the fuel feed according to it's needs.
The vents are ONLY going to lower underhood temps.

Reactions: jjvw
I would also imagine lowering the hood temp will help the hood paint last longer.
I have been meaning to do it to mine just haven't gotten around to it. On hot days the hood temp is very high and yes burning my hand on the hood prop rod all too often.