Hot under the hood

Good to know. Curious if I will experience the same thing once my cold air is set up. Logic and your results say yes. Also curious if there is any sort of measurable difference in temps from the 97, 3-vent cowl vs the later model 1-vent cowls.
It would be very interesting to know where your coolant temps are now with just the hood vents before the Windstar goes in.

For a cut and bolt on louver, I'm pretty happy with my Grand Cherokee louvers.View attachment 41500
@jjvw, They look great, and they are functional. I just ordered a white pair.
I may position mine to the side of the hood, to keep the windshield fold down cushions in place and the option to fold it down...was this a consideration when you chose your vent positions?

@jjvw, They look great, and they are functional. I just ordered a white pair.
I may position mine to the side of the hood, to keep the windshield fold down cushions in place and the option to fold it down...was this a consideration when you chose your vent positions?
I had four positions in mind. You can lay the vents on the hood wherever you want, take pics, get opinions, etc. That's how I arrived at this location.

I kept the bumps and might reattach them some day. Folding the windshield is not something I have ever done, so i was ok with not having them for a while.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I had four positions in mind. You can lay the vents on the hood wherever you want, take pics, get opinions, etc. That's how I arrived at this location.

I kept the bumps and might reattach them some day. Folding the windshield is not something I have ever done, so i was ok with not having them for a while.
Gotcha, thanks !

Does having the hood vented reduce the amount of heat coming off the transmission hump inside the Jeep? On our drive from Virginia to Colorado there was a ridiculous amount of heat coming off the trans hump.....I thought I read somewhere that allowing the air to escape out the vented hood greatly reduce the heat being channeled/pushed back across the transmission..... thoughts/experiences?

The problem with heat on the floor on TJ's is it being a Jeep, there is no insulation just carpet. My main issue with heat was when crawling on rough rocky trails on hot days, high altitude, slower where built up heat got at it's worst. My floor boards became extreme hot. What I did to help was get a roll of "Reach Barrier" a double reflective insulation from Home Depot and laid it down under my carpet. It helped a lot and may help also on cold conditions.
Hope this is helpful.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reach-B...lation-Roll-with-Double-Air-DD24025/204476651

Reactions: KCsTJ and Chris
The problem with heat on the floor on TJ's is it being a Jeep, there is no insulation just carpet. My main issue with heat was when crawling on rough rocky trails on hot days, high altitude, slower where built up heat got at it's worst. My floor boards became extreme hot. What I did to help was get a roll of "Reach Barrier" a double reflective insulation from Home Depot and laid it down under my carpet. It helped a lot and may help also on cold conditions.
Hope this is helpful.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reach-B...lation-Roll-with-Double-Air-DD24025/204476651

This is also good for keeping unwanted sound out and making things a bit quieter at highway speed.

Reactions: Red Dog and KCsTJ
That is some good info but I am still wondering about other's claims that having the Poison Spyder (or some one else) hood louver venting assists with the air flow pattern and reduces the heat coming up through the floor around the transmission?.....

I appreciate all the conversation, I truly enjoy "talking" with everyone, but I still would like to know if having the hood "vented", in whatever fashion one chooses, reduces the amount of heat trapped/radiated up through the floor around the transmission tunnel. I would think that it does but before I go cutting the crap out of my hood I would like to know if it will help out this situation.... thanks for all the conversation so far, I look forward to hearing what y'all have to add......

I appreciate all the conversation, I truly enjoy "talking" with everyone, but I still would like to know if having the hood "vented", in whatever fashion one chooses, reduces the amount of heat trapped/radiated up through the floor around the transmission tunnel. I would think that it does but before I go cutting the crap out of my hood I would like to know if it will help out this situation.... thanks for all the conversation so far, I look forward to hearing what y'all have to add......

I'll go out on a limb and say that because no one mentions it, hood vents won't cool the floor very much. There is more discussion of body lifts resulting in less floor heat. And even more notice that a tummy tuck or bad cats increasing floor heat. This isn't the direct answer you are looking for, but it suggests what the real world effects are.

Thanks! I have a 1 1/4" body lift on it and I have my carpet in (first time in probably 10 years!) on drives of 3 hours or less it is not a big deal, but we drove out to Colorado from Virginia this summer and it was pretty warm going through Kansas. My AC does not work all that great (not sure what the issue is there) and our akita got really hot riding in the back........ just trying to make it more road trip worthy......thanks for the reply!

I'll go out on a limb and say that because no one mentions it, hood vents won't cool the floor very much. . This isn't the direct answer you are looking for, but it suggests what the real world effects are.
I am guessing that nobody has mentioned it because nobody has measured it. But if hood vents let heat out the top, cooler air has to come in the bottom. If it does, it should be cooler on the floor.

I am guessing that nobody has mentioned it because nobody has measured it. But if hood vents let heat out the top, cooler air has to come in the bottom. If it does, it should be cooler on the floor.
Could be. I would also think that if the change was significant enough to be casually noticed, people would be commenting on it and then be motivated to measure it.

My Jeep has vents, cowl induction and a tummy tuck. The floor still gets quite hot.

Thanks guys..... JJVW, did you notice any improvements with adding the vents? Personally they do not do anything for the looks in my opinion, but if they help cool or perform some other measurable function I would consider making the mod.....

I added vents to eliminate hood flutter and to prolong the life of the plastic bits under the hood by reducing heat.

I don't care much for the big louvered panels, but the Grand Cherokee louvers look good, imo.

Do you have pictures of the Grand Cherokee louvers on your Jeep? That may be an option I wold consider......

I don't get the thinking that the temps under the hood are excessive or even a problem. Afterall there's a huge 210 degree heater right in the middle of it. Of course it would seem hot to a human but we're flesh and blood.

Not to mention a TJ owner recently posted that he was having misfires during or after heavy rains. Of course he had vents in his hood and all his wiring was getting soaked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cisco Kid