Hot under the hood

Interesting, and true. Mopar didn't release their 5.7 Hemi until 2003. And those louvers truly were only on the '98 5.9 GC, which is making 'em harder to find.
That's it. I'm confusing the engines.

I know there’s NO performance benefits to it engine wise, I just want to cool down the engine compartment a bit.

Same here, it's hot wheeling here, I used to lift my hood when we were pulled over for a break for the same reason, the heat escaping is heat that's not in my cabin/melting my components over time. I went with poison spider 2 years ago. Still very pleased with 0 complaints
And no issues with water
20160711_125126.jpg
20160911_181434.jpg

Last edited:
20160510_091113_resized_1.jpg

Here's my Poison Spyder hood. Very good product, instructions were well done and the template that came with it made it pretty much fool
proof. Also good info. on youtube.
Well, it did help a lot, I live in Colorado Western slope and when in higher elevation climbing/ working it hard my out side air temperature gauge indicator on my rear view mirror would show 115 degrees or more. (my coolant stayed normal, no over heating). Probably the sensor
is mounted near. Along with the hood mod. later I installed a Hayden elect. pusher fan in front of the radiator with a manual on/off switch.

Along with my heat issues, I also had a high altitude/ heat fuel over loading/stumble problem. I also Insulated my injectors and fuel rail/lines. Hate to ramble, as you can see this turned out to be two issues.(1) The heat issue has eased a lot. (2) My fuel issue I finally found out was
that dreaded ETHANOL in our fuel. I now fill up with ethanol free fuel if I can find it (not cheap but it worked) I only use it if I know that I am
going wheelin.
Well that's my story. Hope this helps someone else.
:thumbup:

Lol it was 40 mpg winds here earlier this week and I have my top off and passed a semi going the other direction and I about crapped myself from the flutters
Wyoming is full of high winds, narrow 2 lane highways, and fast tractor trailers passing within a few feet of you. Hood flutter can be severe and occasionally terrifying. Since the vents went in, the hood stays pretty quiet in those situations.

We can debate the value of letting the heat escape all day, but reducing and eliminating the hood flutter adds a level of piece of mind that few things can compete with.

View attachment 41805
Here's my Poison Spyder hood. Very good product, instructions were well done and the template that came with it made it pretty much fool
proof. Also good info. on youtube.
Well, it did help a lot, I live in Colorado Western slope and when in higher elevation climbing/ working it hard my out side air temperature gauge indicator on my rear view mirror would show 115 degrees or more. (my coolant stayed normal, no over heating). Probably the sensor
is mounted near. Along with the hood mod. later I installed a Hayden elect. pusher fan in front of the radiator with a manual on/off switch.

Along with my heat issues, I also had a high altitude/ heat fuel over loading/stumble problem. I also Insulated my injectors and fuel rail/lines. Hate to ramble, as you can see this turned out to be two issues.(1) The heat issue has eased a lot. (2) My fuel issue I finally found out was
that dreaded ETHANOL in our fuel. I now fill up with ethanol free fuel if I can find it (not cheap but it worked) I only use it if I know that I am
going wheelin.
Well that's my story. Hope this helps someone else.
:thumbup:View attachment 41805 View attachment 41805

What’s it look like under the hood where you have to cut? Any pictures?

20180524_173507_resized.jpg
20180524_173523_resized.jpg
Here's a couple of pics for ya.
The mod. is not that difficult, good thing is the kit comes with a great template, almost fool proof if you follow the instructions.

I was quite surprised when I had my Jeep parked while it was raining and the engine was on - this was also after about a 25min drive - and I saw little puffs of steam coming from the hood where the rain was hitting it towards the front.

I was surprised how hot it gets under that hood.

Are you still running a 205 thermostat to compensate?
It's been about a year now. Coolant temps stay below 210 even in the hottest weather. On the coldest days this winter, it wouldn't get above the 190s. These readings come from Torque on a spare phone that I use as an extended dashboard.

It's been about a year now. Coolant temps stay below 210 even in the hottest weather. On the coldest days this winter, it wouldn't get above the 190s. These readings come from Torque on a spare phone that I use as an extended dashboard.

Good to know. Curious if I will experience the same thing once my cold air is set up. Logic and your results say yes. Also curious if there is any sort of measurable difference in temps from the 97, 3-vent cowl vs the later model 1-vent cowls.