• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Rust proofing the inside of the frame?

knotkewl

May 15, 2019
nebraska
First of all thanks to the staff and members, great forum and lots of valuable information.
I live in the rust belt and after years of watching Craigslist someone finally put the Jeep I have been looking for up for sale. I just became the proud owner of a well cared for 97 TJ Sahara. 4.0 manual 89k miles.

The previous owner has stayed on top of the frame rust and from what I can tell didn't drive it much on salted roads. The fuel tank pan has a little surface rust between the pan and the tank, but really that's about it. I spent the last weekend flushing out the inside of the the frame. I used a combination of power washer and garden hose. I was pleasantly surprised at how little rust I was able to get out. Just a few quarter sized flakes was the worst the rest was small particles mixed in with a few hand fulls of sand.

I had planed on using the Evergreen product on the inside to try and keep the frame in good shape for as long as possible. I happened to stop in to a local body shop and was talking to the owner about it. He mentioned that he has a wand with a 360 degree tip that he uses to spray por-15 inside of the frame. At first it seamed like an great idea, but after some thought I started wondering about whether the hard coat on the inside would end up giving me more problems down the road.

Has anyone tried this? I would appreciate some thoughts from the folks that have more experience than I.
Many thanks.

indio

Apr 15, 2019
Chicagoland
First of all thanks to the staff and members, great forum and lots of valuable information.
I live in the rust belt and after years of watching Craigslist someone finally put the Jeep I have been looking for up for sale. I just became the proud owner of a well cared for 97 TJ Sahara. 4.0 manual 89k miles.

The previous owner has stayed on top of the frame rust and from what I can tell didn't drive it much on salted roads. The fuel tank pan has a little surface rust between the pan and the tank, but really that's about it. I spent the last weekend flushing out the inside of the the frame. I used a combination of power washer and garden hose. I was pleasantly surprised at how little rust I was able to get out. Just a few quarter sized flakes was the worst the rest was small particles mixed in with a few hand fulls of sand.

I had planed on using the Evergreen product on the inside to try and keep the frame in good shape for as long as possible. I happened to stop in to a local body shop and was talking to the owner about it. He mentioned that he has a wand with a 360 degree tip that he uses to spray por-15 inside of the frame. At first it seamed like an great idea, but after some thought I started wondering about whether the hard coat on the inside would end up giving me more problems down the road.

Has anyone tried this? I would appreciate some thoughts from the folks that have more experience than I.
Many thanks.
Inside the frame, I would not spray Por 15 or similar coating. Because once the coating begins to lose some adhesion, and water gets behind the coating, it will be held against the metal and increase rate of rust. Instead I would regularly spray an oil type coating to protect the metal. I'm planning to use Fluid Film.

OP
K

knotkewl

May 15, 2019
nebraska
Thanks indio,
I had considered that. From all I have read this is not a one time do it and forget about it task. It sounds like a yearly bit of maintenance. My thought was that the por-15 being so thin would do a very good job of sinking in to pits nooks and cranny's then from here on out I would use the oil or wax based products on top of it.

Not_Invented_Here_

TJ Enthusiast
Jan 15, 2019
Kansas City
OP, by Evergreen, do you mean Eastwood Internal Frame Coating?

If so, I too am gearing up to apply that to the inside but I've likewise been contemplating alternatives too. I've heard that some folks apply the Eastwood and then follow up with cavity wax (3M I think?), or the oil type coating on top of the original application.

OP
K

knotkewl

May 15, 2019
nebraska
OP, by Evergreen, do you mean Eastwood Internal Frame Coating?

Yes I did. Not sure where I pulled Evergreen from.
emoji_u1f600.png

Thanks folks! As I said it sounded like a great idea at the time. Then I started to wonder about the kind of problems you guys have mentioned and had second thoughts. I am still trying to wrap my head around the body shop owners thinking on why he believes it to be a good idea?