Rust proofing the inside of the frame?

Will the added washer to the Trans Mount allow that bit more 1/4 inch between the trans and plate to help air/water flow and not give it a place to rust.... I know this area has some oil blow-by usually and is not prone to rust. Or is it not worth the effort in your opinion!
Really not worth the effort, that area seems to collect lubricants regardless of leaks.

Will the added washer to the Trans Mount allow that bit more 1/4 inch between the trans and plate to help air/water flow and not give it a place to rust.... I know this area has some oil blow-by usually and is not prone to rust. Or is it not worth the effort in your opinion!
I don’t think it is worth it. I didn’t even do it on my skid plate/frame connection. The skid plate/ frame connection is two long pieces of metal married together, hidden from sight and prone to water infiltration. The skid plate to transmission mount area is not. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac
I don’t think it is worth it. I didn’t even do it on my skid plate/frame connection. The skid plate/ frame connection is two long pieces of metal married together, hidden from sight and prone to water infiltration. The skid plate connection bolt area is not. Just my opinion.
When you add a 1/4" washer to each skid bolt it opens up a clear 1/8" gap between the entire frame rail and and the skid for ventilation, nothing to do with the skid bolt area.

When you add a 1/4" washer to each skid bolt it opens up a clear 1/8" gap between the entire frame rail and and the skid for ventilation, nothing to do with the skid bolt area.
I am talking about the skid plate to transmission mount area. Why would you add a washer there? There is no major metal to metal connection like at the skid plate/ frame connection. It is not necessary.

Thanks for the input, I feel that I have a better understanding of the overall situation. But, I am still screwing around with my Bestop fabric door lock replacements. I am not looking forward to the Frame Rust JOB!! and I guest I am dragging my tail to get-er-done.

Reactions: Ephry73
After reading this entire thread (and a few other, plus watching YT videos) here's the plan I'm getting on how to protect the inside and outside of the frame.
1. Buy or rent a horoscope type tool to visually inspect the inside of the frame.
2. Drill drainage holes into the low points of the frame.
3. Buy a drain auger, attach a small chain to the end and run it back & forth to help remove rust scale inside the frame.
3. Power wash the inside of the frame.
4. Use a flexible magnetic tool to pick up rust debris. Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, until magnet picks up all rust debris.
5. Use Eastwood internal frame coating.
6. Finish by Fluid Filming the inside of the frame (possible on a bi-annual basis).

For the exterior of the frame.
1. Grind off the rust, including removing the skid plate. (Plan on buying Black Magic Brake nutsert kit)
2. Coat with Rustoleum rust inhibitor.
3. Top coat with Rustoleum Advanced Protective satin black enamel.
4. Finish off by coating with Fluid Film (annual to bi-annual basis).
6. Complete by writing Stellantis a letter letting them know what a shitty job Jeep did by not rust proofing the TJs frame, and might as well include Jeeps stupidity in use torx bolts.

Good demo of how Eastwood 360 internal nozzle works. FF to 10:37.

Last edited:
Weather was beautiful here in the Philly suburbs today so I finally had a chance to Fluid Film my frame. Here are the steps I took, it went pretty smoothly.
1) I used my air compressor to go through the whole frame front to back and back to front getting out any debris. As a note, my frame is completely rust free so there were no additional steps of dealing with rust first.

2) I parked the Jeep on some drop cloths to avoid dripping onto the driveway.

3) I worked front to back using the 360 wand that came with the Fluid Film three pack from Amazon. I pushed the applicator all the way in and then started spraying and slowly pulled it out. I then moved to the next section and repeated the process. I think I pulled the applicator too slowly and probably over did the application. I ran through 3 cans very quickly. I would pull it out quicker next time.

4) after coating the inside of the frame and the torque boxes I moved on to coating the outside of everything. This was much less of an organized and strategic process. It is messy and the basic can nozzle is more of a jet than a spray. I ended up switching back to the 360 nozzle. It got messy and I just sprayed everything working my way around the perimeter under the Jeep. I avoided the exhaust and the brakes. I still got some on the exhaust so I wiped that down as best I could.

5) I let it sit for awhile then drive it to burn off any excess, there was a small amount of smoke, nothing major, I had to look for it after I came back from the ride. I parked it in the garage and put drop cloths under it.

6) in the end it was an easy job. Doesn’t smell as bad as others have said. Good coverage of everything and I am good for a year, I will clean it off and do it again next spring.

A few photos of the process.

FA916822-9636-426E-8BB4-900C60CC9CA7.jpeg
7A67CEC3-23FA-41CF-81C9-06C0BB73AF20.jpeg
9BBBD311-A855-429E-94F0-5CF9F057F9CB.jpeg
938BD7EB-0BA8-4875-8DD3-C6992C40002E.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac and Cheetokps
Yeah that shit works! I sprayed it in my eye one time and it’s not rusty. I do recommend the 360 tips if your gonna do your jeep or any other car. Fluid film works well but it does need to be re applied every fall.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnfromphilly
After reading this entire thread (and a few other, plus watching YT videos) here's the plan I'm getting on how to protect the inside and outside of the frame.

3. Power wash the inside of the frame.
4. Use a flexible magnetic tool to pick up rust debris. Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat, until magnet picks up all rust debris.
5. Use Eastwood internal frame coating.
6. Finish by Fluid Filming the inside of the frame (possible on a bi-annual basis).
I started cleaning mine and unfortunately found rust inside my frame while spraying out all of the road chemicals at the car wash. I've been scraping, power washing and using a magnet for the past couple of days. I ordered some Eastwood internal frame coating today. $30 a can! Hopefully I can stop it now.
p.s. I drilled the drain holes when I bought it almost 4 years ago.
Rust today.jpg

I need to protect my inner frame. I just cut out the lower part of the frame where the skid mounts and will do the rear wheels soon. From what I can see the inner frame looks ok and has some rust flake in a few spots but not horrible. Since I have easy access to the inner frame currently I wanted to prevent/protect the frame from future rust issues. After spraying it well, Will the Eastwood inner frame be a good choice to stop and prevent further rust with fluid film yearly after, or is there better options or recommendations? I don’t live in the rust belt but my Jeep has some rust issues because it was in IN for a while now in NM. Also how many cans of Eastwood would be sufficient to coat the inner frame?

getting it clean is the key. eastwood makes a good product and it coats well, be sure to get the 360* wand.

but clean is the key, so blast off the rust or grind it off, or even use some acid gel if you can get it on there. the more you get off/out the longer your finish and frame will last you.

Reactions: Ephry73
I saw a video somewhere of someone using a small auger and snake inside the frame to loosen and beat the rust out. Best Idea I have seen since. Then you can hit the inside of the frame with some type of chimney metal brush air pressure clean then spray. will sure buy you some time.