Rust proofing the inside of the frame?

I'm in Central NJ when i bought my TJ last year it has some scaling on the inside of the frame but only the drivers side around the skid plate attachments and near the rear control arm, I cleaned it out with an air compressor/magnet, drilled holes right behind the rear control arm, plug up the holes on top of the control arms i the front and rear and I fluid film the shit out of the inside once every 3 months or so. I periodically run a magnet in there to check and I haven't noticed any more scaling since I've done that almost a year ago.

In a couple months when its warm out im going to do my yearly cleaning of the underbody/frame ill check what's up.

I cleaned and POR-15 everything under the car (control arms/ skid plates, Axles, etc) except the frame which has almost no rust on it whatsoever.
So you use POR-15 on the underside and FF on the frame?

We are in the same geographic area as I am right over the river from Trenton.

I'm extra super duper paranoid about rust despite my rig rarely getting wet much less exposed to salt. I pumped multiple cans of Eastwood into the frame AND flooded it with Fluid Film. In the event there's a breach in the Eastwood the Fluid Film will creep in there & repel out any moisture that might otherwise find its way in.

I've heard some complain about it dripping & whatnot but that's one thing I love about that stanky ass shit, it creeps like nobody's business which is exactly what you want it to do, which is get into every crack & crevice I can't see or otherwise reach - just let nature take its course because that's exactly what water and air will do in the deep recesses of your rig... I'll deal with a couple puddles of it on my garage floor the day after applying it for the peace of mind.

As far as its flammability, it is oil so I'm sure under the proper circumstances it'll go up, looking at a puddle of it it kinda reminds me of what I'd expect napalm to look like

Reactions: Not_Invented_Here_
So you use POR-15 on the underside and FF on the frame?

We are in the same geographic area as I am right over the river from Trenton.

Yeah when i got it it had surface rust on the axels and control arms and stuff, nothing serious but i didn't like it cosmetically so i took a wire wheel to it and over the course of a month little by little i cleaned it up, used the 3 step POR-15 system so it basically looks brand new under it.

Some small surface rust areas on the frame that i wired off as well. Then i just stocked up on fluid flim and I spray everything under it once every few months but i really focus on the inside of the frame. Fluid Film makes it look dirty but thats just the coating sticking to the frame.

I do spray the exhaust indirectly and it just burns off nbd. I actually pointed the exhaust with high temp paint after i cleaned up the surface rust as well.

Also with road salt here notice that for my jeep at least it only builds up on the torque boxes and on the rear control arms where they attached to the axel, so once a week ill lightly spray the bottom of the car to wash off any salt that's sticking.

So ill see in a few weekends if its been doing its job. I know its going to be almost 80 tomorrow though Sunday but ill wait until summer really starts before i clean it out again.

Reactions: Johnfromphilly
I'm extra super duper paranoid about rust despite my rig rarely getting wet much less exposed to salt. I pumped multiple cans of Eastwood into the frame AND flooded it with Fluid Film. In the event there's a breach in the Eastwood the Fluid Film will creep in there & repel out any moisture that might otherwise find its way in.

I've heard some complain about it dripping & whatnot but that's one thing I love about that stanky ass shit, it creeps like nobody's business which is exactly what you want it to do, which is get into every crack & crevice I can't see or otherwise reach - just let nature take its course because that's exactly what water and air will do in the deep recesses of your rig... I'll deal with a couple puddles of it on my garage floor the day after applying it for the peace of mind.

As far as its flammability, it is oil so I'm sure under the proper circumstances it'll go up, looking at a puddle of it it kinda reminds me of what I'd expect napalm to look like

Yeah man I'm the same way super paranoid about it so i take extra care. I also tried the east wood interior after i magneted and air compressed the inside.

I plan on attacking this project once we get some warmer weather on a weekend. My frame has zero rust inside or out but it now will live in Southeastern PA and, although it will spend most of the time in the garage, I do want to take it down the shore. No garage there and salt water and air are a block away.

My plan is to blow out the frame with an air compressor (checking along the way with bore hole camera), add small drain holes to the frame and spray the inside with Fluid Film. I also plan on hitting some other areas with FF including the outside of the frame and other underside areas as I can reach them without a lift. I also plan to drop my transmission skid plate and clean and paint the area where it mates with the frame with frame paint. Adding anti seize to those bolts also.

Anyone have a comment on this plan?
Consider adding a 1/4" spacer washer on each bolt between the skid and frame rail, does not affect anything and it provides an air gap to keep the area from collecting crap and moisture.

Consider adding a 1/4" spacer washer on each bolt between the skid and frame rail, does not affect anything and it provides an air gap to keep the area from collecting crap and moisture.
Interesting. I will consider that. No impact on the angle of the transmission mounts? Would you add washers to those bolts as well?

That was my plan with the FF, buy more than I need for the frame and then spray everything until I ran out. Haha

I am pretty confident (famous last words) that my bolts will come out as the frame and skid plate are in really good condition. Fingers crossed though. This whole project is to avoid that down the road now that the Jeep no longer lives in South Carolina.

The inside of my Jeep has more rust than the outside. I think the PO like to keep the top off and doors off so I imgine it got some rain. The underside of the seats, for example, are rusty but the frame is perfect.

It's so weird to me how they rust. My tub is completely clean except for a couple tiny spots. The frame looks amazing outside. At least 80% of it is smooth metal on the inside. Then there's just that one section on passenger side where it's like one of the two PO's let some salt water just marinate in there, I don't get it. I know from the carfax that it had an undercoating applied in the early late 2000's but 🤷‍♂️

Interesting. I will consider that. No impact on the angle of the transmission mounts? Would you add washers to those bolts as well?
No issues at all, with the recess around the skid plate bolts a 1/4" spacer adds about a 1/8" gap. The trans mount is not generally an issue (Frame rails are) and that area tends to stay a bit oily regardless of leaks.

No issues at all, with the recess around the skid plate bolts a 1/4" spacer adds about a 1/8" gap. The trans mount is not generally an issue (Frame rails are) and that area tends to stay a bit oily regardless of leaks.
I guess my point was more about he alignment of the transmission and transmission mount bolts after adding the washers to the frame rails. Does dropping the skidplate 1/4" impact the transmission or the alignment of the mount and it's bolts?

Mine gets Fluidfilmed once a year on the underside. I have a 3 ft wand for my gun that I send down the inside of the frame.
Do you clean it in between treatments or just throw on another coat? It seems to attract dirt and I was wondering if people clean in between.

Also, What "process" do you use for the underside? Do you just spray it everywhere or do you hit individual spots?

Luckily we put it out pretty quick 😬
Was it actually residual FF that ignited or something else?
Do you clean it in between treatments or just throw on another coat? It seems to attract dirt and I was wondering if people clean in between.

Also, What "process" do you use for the underside? Do you just spray it everywhere or do you hit individual spots?
I take a pressure washer to the bottom side & clean it all off. Let it dry & reapply.

I guess my point was more about he alignment of the transmission and transmission mount bolts after adding the washers to the frame rails. Does dropping the skidplate 1/4" impact the transmission or the alignment of the mount and it's bolts

I guess my point was more about he alignment of the transmission and transmission mount bolts after adding the washers to the frame rails. Does dropping the skidplate 1/4" impact the transmission or the alignment of the mount and it's bolts?
It's has not affected anything.

Don't neglect the torque boxes. Not trying to answer for the other guy but use it mostly everywhere and just avoid the brakes.