Savvy Mid-Arm and Tummy Tuck Questions

You're far from that. Don't worry. The original Savvy surfboard under armor was an amazing design and unlike anything on the market then and now. It predates my interest in Jeeps and it irritates me today that I can't get one, especially knowing that it didn't survive because people didn't understand what it was.

Okay great I'm here to learn from you guys with way more experience. Here are a couple pics of the skids. I still think these are nice looking skids. Ignore the messy garage lol

20220904_073306.jpg

20220904_073320.jpg

20220904_073551.jpg

Reactions: tworley
You're far from that. Don't worry. The original Savvy surfboard under armor was an amazing design and unlike anything on the market then and now. It predates my interest in Jeeps and it irritates me today that I can't get one, especially knowing that it didn't survive because people didn't understand what it was.

I met with a local jeeper with the single piece design in person and I was blown away. I don't think people realized how good it was installed, photos of just the skid standing in a garage or on the floor don't do it any justice.

I bought the Savvy UnderArmor in December of 2011. It is the original one piece skid "surfboard". I paid $1095 before a 10% PIRATE discount. I also bought the gas tank skid at the same time, $329. Also discounted 10%. Shipping was a 100 bucks. $1281 delivered. Those were the good old days.

It looks like you have the two piece TT. Does it predate my surfboard?

Post as Blaine pointed out. I bought my kit in early 2016. I added the engine skid a few years later. IIRC I bought the UA for somewhere around $800. Plus the $300 GTS. Cant remember what I paid for the engine skid.

And just for visuals for people that have not seen this .. here is how the design has evolved. The current modular version is still really great, leaps and bounds better than anything on the market, but the single-piece one just blows me away every time I see the photo.

@mrblaine were there any other iterations?

20150515_155837.jpg

savvy-single-2.jpg

IMG_139772.jpg

And just for visuals for people that have not seen this .. here is how the design has evolved. The current modular version is still really great, leaps and bounds better than anything on the market, but the single-piece one just blows me away every time I see the photo.

@mrblaine were there any other iterations?

View attachment 356992

View attachment 356993

View attachment 356994

Those are some beautiful skids. Alot of work had to go into making those.

So looking at the savvy skid that I have. It doesn't look like moving up the body mounts are an option in the middle without serious modification. So looks like just throw in the proper 1.25 spacers for now and call it a day for a while.

20220904_135957.jpg

So looking at the savvy skid that I have. It doesn't look like moving up the body mounts are an option in the middle without serious modification. So looks like just throw in the proper 1.25 spacers for now and call it a day for a while.

Yup .. you need those.

Those are some beautiful skids. Alot of work had to go into making those.

View attachment 356995

It actually is not that hard to do. We do them frequently. Most way over engineer what is actually needed because they forget that an average strength person can bench press the end of the trans up off of the skid if it isn't bolted down. It does need to be stronger to deal with output torque from the drivetrain but not much.

The offer to cobble together a Savvy Body Lift still stands if you want to buy some time.
DSC00529.JPG

DSC00530.JPG

DSC00552.JPG

DSC00553.JPG

It actually is not that hard to do. We do them frequently. Most way over engineer what is actually needed because they forget that an average strength person can bench press the end of the trans up off of the skid if it isn't bolted down. It does need to be stronger to deal with output torque from the drivetrain but not much.

The offer to cobble together a Savvy Body Lift still stands if you want to buy some time.
View attachment 357004

View attachment 357005

View attachment 357006

View attachment 357007

Man that is awesome. Are those genright mounts welded on top or only the sides? The body doesn't come off to weld them right? How much do you charge to do that just curious?

I guess I could run a bead on the red line so I could remove the wrap around bracket (blue). Then would be able to use the gen right mounts. how do you know where to position them so you get the 1.25?. Haven't ever done this job before. But can weld no problem.

What would you charge for the savvys. Might be better to use the pucks for now to get the clearance where I need, then later weld in the high mounts. 🤔

20220904_150152.jpg

Man that is awesome. Are those genright mounts welded on top or only the sides? The body doesn't come off to weld them right? How much do you charge to do that just curious?

I guess I could run a bead on the red line so I could remove the wrap around bracket (blue). Then would be able to use the gen right mounts. how do you know where to position them so you get the 1.25?. Haven't ever done this job before. But can weld no problem.

What would you charge for the savvys. Might be better to use the pucks for now to get the clearance where I need, then later weld in the high mounts. 🤔

View attachment 357017

You are not fully paying attention. The Savvy crossmember sits on top of the doubled up C flanges. In order to remove the crossmember, you have to smack the outer C outwards and then slide the inner C out from under the end so that it drops down. The only way to make it all work with raised weld on body mounts like the GR stuff is to invert the end mounts by cutting off the end angles, swapping them end for end and welding them back on so you mount straight up to the new flange welded to the frame like my pics show.

The GR mounts are cut to sit on top of the frame with part of it. Look them up on the GR site so you understand and yes, that part welds. We lift the body with a floor jack in the rear to do the job. I don't have the time to do the welding for you and I'm not really in a position to do that anyway.

Send me a private message or email and we'll work out something on the lift pucks and missing lower mount you need up front.

Not that I'm not paying attention. I guess I just didnt understand why you can't just weld on the inner factory bracket into the frame then remove the outside part where the genright mounts would go. So that it keeps the crossmember where savvy designed it to be. But for now I'll just install the savvy pucks. Once the jeeps dialed in down the road I'll look into the raised mounts more.