Savvy transfer case shifter cable problem

Why get rid of the LSD?

@jjvw was just saying that the LSD portion of the rear locker is part of why it's weaker, due to too many parts in such a small unit. I'm not planning on doing it, I was just curious.

While some have been known to break, I can't agree they have a tendency to break. I've never seen one break on the trail (my wheeling groups tend to be loaded with TJ Rubicons) and mine is still doing fine, knock on wood. :)

I haven't personally heard of any breaking either. Knock on wood!

While some have been known to break, I can't agree they have a tendency to break. I've never seen one break on the trail (my wheeling groups tend to be loaded with TJ Rubicons) and mine is still doing fine, knock on wood. :)
Same here. Although, mine is giving me trouble. Though it rolls smoothly on the street, the rear won't lock as of 2-3 weeks ago. I haven't had the time to investigate why. All I know at the moment is that it isn't air pump related and it locked after the last fluid change, so the fill plug shouldn't be the issue.

Same here. Although, mine is giving me trouble. Though it rolls smoothly on the street, the rear won't lock as of 2-3 weeks ago. I haven't had the time to investigate why. All I know at the moment is that it isn't air pump related and it locked after the last fluid change, so the fill plug shouldn't be the issue.
So you're saying the compressor shuts off as it should once you engage the locker but it doesn't lock? I"d still maybe give the fill plug a half CCW turn just for insurance. :)

I haven't personally heard of any breaking either. Knock on wood!

They arn't the weakest thing in the world and leaving them locked when in 4 low will save them. Plenty of people run 35s and even 37s for years with no issues. However that said I personally know e (or possibly r I can't remember) people who have broken the LSD portion of that locker. These are people who wheel regularly on 37s though. It's not a part I'd run out and preemptively replace but I'd also keep an eye out for a smoking deal on a replacement locker to have on hand when the time comes.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: Chris
That doesn't sound good. I'd at least unscrew the fill plug some to see if that changes anything. Who knows if it's just on the edge of interfering and maybe teflon tape around the plug compressed a bit?
That's the hope. The hold up is that I can't open the plug without draining fluid because of the pinion angle. I need to make the time and prepare to make the mess if I need to dig further.

Question: Running lockers in 4hi?
My ARB lockers are only engaged when I need to stop wheel spin to get over an obstacle. I try to run almost everything unlocked. It makes me a better driver and I’m always surprised where it manages unlocked. I don’t believe I have ever needed them in 4hi. Since they are ARBs I also engage frequently after needed while the tires are turning slowly. I talked to ARB about this questionable practice and they said it was fine as long as slipping wheels were rotating slowly.

Factory Rubicon lockers have fairly weak spider gears, that’s what broke in my rear end and why I have ARBs now. The JK 44 is different and stronger in this area.