Saw a new JL Rubicon today

Us purchasing a TJ and then now having the LJR is the reason we picked up the new JL for the wife. She fell in love with Wranglers maybe harder than I did. With the JL the Wrangler has reached the point where she gets everything she wants or needs in a daily driver plus the ability to take off on trails when we want. People continue to freak out over the cost of the JLs (compared to what TJs used to cost) but again, when you look at the options and items you're getting for $50k I don't think the JL is really any more expensive than a competing SUV with the same features (and you still can't take the top and doors off of anything else).
Yes the wife completely loves the JLU. As you said has everything she wants and the hard top is actually lighter than the JKU. Full boxed roll cage, is what I loved. so I say its crazy to pay 50K only because well I have never owned anything newer than a 97. SO in my world that's a whole lot of money. I do understand the cost, my dad just bought his first ever brand new vehicle and he is 78. He bought a 2018 Toyota Tundra 1794 edition. 51K.. looks good but he is still in shock as the cost of vehicles nowadays... oh well that's life.

Yes the wife completely loves the JLU. As you said has everything she wants and the hard top is actually lighter than the JKU. Full boxed roll cage, is what I loved. so I say its crazy to pay 50K only because well I have never owned anything newer than a 97. SO in my world that's a whole lot of money. I do understand the cost, my dad just bought his first ever brand new vehicle and he is 78. He bought a 2018 Toyota Tundra 1794 edition. 51K.. looks good but he is still in shock as the cost of vehicles nowadays... oh well that's life.

The cost of vehicles overall is just completely ridiculous. But as long as banks keep loaning money out to people at crazy long terms and people keep taking it they'll keep selling. I saw recently that the average sales price for a vehicle has now crossed $30k. I completely love the TJ/LJ platform for what it is (in my opinion maybe the purest representation of the Wrangler platform with the right mix of new/old tech) but I can't look at the JLU through the same lens. I struggled with agreeing to get a JL but in the end, happy wife, happy life.

One big difference in paying 50K for a wrangler is at least you will get more back when you sell it than most other vehicles. An example last year I bought my wife (we bought) a 2016 C300 Mercedes, list was $54K...I got it 11 months old (short term previous corp exec lease return) with 9,000 miles and I only paid 31k, talk about a hit!

Bottom line if you are comfortable enough with your finances then go for it! I would not doubt there will be a future used JK/JL in the family at some point in my life.

Reactions: techster82
The best part about the LJs is in 10 years or so, they'll be affordable and it won't feel like such a bad idea to take something so nice off-road when you only paid $13k for it vs $50+.

That said, man, a Rubicon in blue with a black hardtop is a niiiiiiice looking piece of kit.

jeep.jpg

The best part about the LJs is in 10 years or so, they'll be affordable and it won't feel like such a bad idea to take something so nice off-road when you only paid $13k for it vs $50+.

That said, man, a Rubicon in blue with a black hardtop is a niiiiiiice looking piece of kit.
Wish they still had the true blue color. The ocean blue in the pic is a lot brighter than that image.

Reactions: CybrSlydr
So we brought home one of the LJR's grandchildren Wednesday night. The wife is in love and in the short time I've spent with it I'm very impressed. Yes it's on the opposite end of the spectrum from the TJ/LJ in many ways (other than both being pretty capable off pavement) but to compare a jeep of 12 years ago to one of today is more apples to oranges. Their seems to be more leg room in both the front and back compared to the Grand Cherokee she drove which is something we wanted to achieve for the kids. Rear cargo space also seems to be the same if not greater with easier entry to load because of the straight roof line. The biggest drawback I've found so far is that the JL specific forums and groups want to make you gouge your eyes out from all of the nonsense they post and ask.

View attachment 42955

We're heading for a family vacation near Hot Springs in a couple of weeks and are hoping to visit Superlift's ORV Park. I've already got a set of 35x12.50R17 Ridge Grapplers for it that have been sitting in the garage but need to evaluate lift options. Ideally I'd like to get my LJ build knocked out first but we'll see how it all pans out.

So with that said, flame away guys. :)
Damn you guys have jeeps for days!! Love the granite crystal. That’s a good looking rubi. 35s and the Mopar 2” lift looks sick IMO. 37s honestly looks natural with the highline standard flares now too. Crazy how everything evolves. Bigger is better with these rigs lol.

I would much rather have a light color tho. My days of buffing and polishing dark vehicles is long gone! Silver is so forgiving. I can go weeks without washing or waxing my current jeep and it still looks good.
I agree when it comes to my blue M3, but I kinda like the slightly dirty look on my Wrangler. Bird poop gets taken care of, but I don't mind the dirt. :D Looks like it was doing something besides running me to and from work/school. :D

Let me do the math, in 10 years I will be 72... I think I will be on a rocking chair by then :(

I wouldn't mind a 13/14" JK Rubicon after about 8 years of depreciation, hopefully by then they'll actually be cheaper.... Guess it will be awhile for me. The early year JKs are getting pretty reasonable but who would want one of those!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Let me do the math, in 10 years I will be 72... I think I will be on a rocking chair by then :(
IIRC, when offroading, the chairs in Wranglers are indeed rocking...

Sounds like you'll be just fine. :D