1. It's time to vote for the June 2018 "Ride of the Month"! Click here to vote. Voting will end on May 31st.
    Dismiss Notice

Saw a new JL Rubicon today

Discussion in 'General Jeep Discussion' started by Jerry Bransford, May 5, 2018.

1. cjaama

cjaama TJ Enthusiast

For the record, while the exterior dimensions of the current CRV are smaller, the interior dimension/cargo capacity of the CRV are almost all greater than a JKU/JLU. If you’re planning on having kids, the most important dimensions are rear leg room (rear facing car seats will leave you choking on your knees without enough) and cargo capacity behind the rear seats (strollers and other crap you always have to lug around), CRV has a decent amount more in both areas. Also, the CRV is safer. I found these things out when I was shopping for a replacement of my wife’s car last Fall.

I keep thinking about a JLU for my next DD, but there are certain features I’ve grown accustomed to which aren’t available in a JL. Namely, efficiency and adaptive cruise control.

As others have said, it’s hard to justify that kind of money for a Jeep… but at least it would hold its resale.

Starrs likes this.
  2. IPerkWVU

IPerkWVU Member

I went wheeling with a JLUR a few weeks ago, it definitely came away with some trail rash. I couldn't believe the owner was willing to tackle a few obstacles that he did, I could never justify doing that to a 55k vehicle weeks after it came off the dealership lot. That said, I have to give him credit for getting out and enjoying his Jeep!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

3. mde8965

mde8965 TJ Enthusiast

Geez. I don’t think I would have the nerve to do anything heavy like that with any vehicle I’m making payments on, or that still has factory warranty. The guy you speak of probably paid cash for it.

4. Jeffreybomb

Jeffreybomb 2004 Wrangler TJ X
    Supporting Member

Good for him, I say.

I can't tell you how many JKs I've seen that probably surpass $55,000 when you combine the cost of the vehicle and the ridiculous mods they pile on them. All they end up doing is sitting in garages and at car shows.

5. techster82

techster82 Lover of Lifted LJs
    Supporting Member

If our JLUR is delivered prior to our trip to Hot Springs the middle of June (looking doubtful right now) we'll be taking it to the ORV Park there to try on some trails. Right now its looking like I may have to trailer this ole beat up LJ instead. ;)

Starrs likes this.
  6. Starrs

Starrs TJ Addict

Listing on Craigslist looks really good. You are giving it away at that price IMO. Looks really good.

techster82 likes this.
  7. techster82

Supporting Member

Thanks, yours isn't bad either. ;) I put the TJ up for sale Friday night around 8pm and had a guy drive from Indiana at 10am Saturday morning. Put a deposit down at full asking price and should be picking it up in the next couple of days. I've had a ton of calls on it, and maybe could have asked for more but thought I might be pushing the top end of the market where I was.

8. Starrs

Starrs TJ Addict

There was an LJ I spotted so I tossed mine on there and had a guy from Brazil IN wanting to buy mine and the damn LJ sold so I had to call my potential buyer and inform him Rubi was no longer for sale. I had mine listed for 24k had only a couple bites then dropped to 22k and that’s kinda what we had agreed on. Maybe I should have taken it, but I can’t jump into anything that I like as much as this for 22k so that’s why I pulled the listing. I’ll always be looking for an LJR to build, and I like the hunt for one aswell haha.

techster82 likes this.
  9. techster82

Supporting Member

Yeah your TJ is cherry. Like you the only thing I'd get rid of it for would be an equally cherry LJ Rubi.

10. Starrs

Starrs TJ Addict

Yea that was the consensus around the house too lol. My GF was mighty upset when I told her I had a couple coming to look at “Rubi” haha. She loves this thing, and she lied the LJR also, but we have had some good times in this one.

Fouledplugs likes this.
  11. FTI76

FTI76 Brian Flad
    Supporting Member

If I could do it over I would have held out until I located an LJ Rubicon, but that shipped has sailed and I’ll keep my TJ which is paid off. My frame is solid and the 4.0s are cheap to rebuild if it ever came to that. With 80k on the ODO not really a concern.

I’m more focused on maxing out my 401k and trying to pay down my mortgage than dropping 50K on a new Wrangler thats for damn sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

xxdabroxx, JMT, cliffish and 3 others like this.
  12. RedStar

RedStar New Member

I’d never spend more than $35k on a vehicle anyway

Starrs likes this.
  13. cliffish

cliffish TJ Addict
    Supporting Member

Being on Long Island you are very smart to do that, we worked our ass off to pay off the house in 12 years, put enough away for at least SUNY (NY state colleges) tuition for both kids while maxing out our 401K's. Very tough to do with the cost of living here without serious discipline.

JMT likes this.
  14. sgtjdgelinas

sgtjdgelinas TJ Enthusiast