Show me your TJs

I like the look ok, but I wouldn’t order them again. They fade quickly from what I have read. However, it seems all the plastic ones will fade in time. I have shined them up twice, second time around is holding better. If you don’t mind doing that, or painting them then they are pretty solid!
Very clean looks great.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
2001 TJ that grew in to an AEV Highline Brute on 37's - Had her 18 years now. Still a lot of work to do and sadly taken a back seat to some of the other project cars, a home renovation, and family so she's sat for a few years as I couldn't put the time in. Plan was to get stuck in to it again this summer but 2020 hasn't been great. Now hoping by January I can make progress with it again.

9bS1J5J.jpg

Plans for this one involve fully custom front and rear bumpers, the front being an next evolution of what it used to be, with a bit better packaging and much tighter corner clearance... it used to have this on it before the Brute conversion:

LuS6aaf.jpg

Rear will be modifying the ARB rear bumper to suit the Brute dimensions with the tire carrier Was very happy with that one before.

After that - plan is to do a half-height safari rack with a small flip over roof top tent on the bed, finish the exhaust off and then see what space is left for an aux fuel tank and water tank, and then do AiRock so it's nice and easy to level out at camp. Then refresh the upholstery and a lot of debugging after quite a lot being changed on it. Budget needs to recover a lot before I can tackle the next stage but really can't wait.

Photoshop plan although new plan would be a flip-over tent and lower rack. TJ isn't the most aerodynamic thing to start with - don't want to make it a whole lot worse.

fdXtOh6.jpg

Then while the Brute was on the back burner, it occurred to me that the Brute was now unobtainium and if I mess it up spectacularly, it won't be easy to get replacements for the bed, hard top or front fenders. Probably wouldn't want to beat on the Brute the way I would before with the TJ. On top of that, I had half a spare Highline kit and the ARB swingout carrier, fuel can rack that simply don't fit the new rear end, and a few other nice bits that just didn't make it on to the Brute like the Hutchinson wheels (found a set of AEV beadlocks that suits the look better). So started getting the itch for another TJ to be silly with and turn the Brute in to a more extremely capable overlander but maybe not take it on crowded runs.

Was also partly worried that in the time the Brute had been off the road, I'd ticked off the Raptor and Toyota Land Cruiser so was worried the little Jeep's old 4.0 might not be enough any more. So wanted to dip back in to the Jeep thing even though I'd not got the time to work on the Brute.

Found this one stock - never been off road. The wide tires would touch the fenders on speed bumps and yet there was no rub marks when I got it. Interior was immaculate. Top had never been off.

WKNwuwa.jpg

Since getting it, upgraded the headlights (already in the above pic), tidied up a few loose ends, put a set of wide fenders on it so I could at least get the bump stops without rubbing (previous owner put the 31s on 10" wide rims but no lift), put my old Lightbar on it and been enjoying the heck out of it. Totally fallen in love with the Jeep thing again.

CZyZ4Gh.jpg

voB1i8Q.jpg

It's been a ton of fun even though it's mostly stock. It's really saved my sanity after 6 months of staying indoors.

Long term plans are something like this - photoshopped how it could be - 37" tires on the Hutchinsons and Highline. Just piecing together all the parts now and hoping to hit it in one go next summer (our down-time when it just gets too hot). Would get the old ARB bumper on the back again and the front would get a duplicate of whatever I come up with for the Brute. So the two should make a nice little pair together.

qCR2zbz.jpg

Last edited:
This is my recently purchased 1997. Its super solid and I think I will only have to do a little body/paint work. I am a “original “ kind of guy and I think that it will remain mostly stock. I do want to bring it back to near-to-new condition. My wife and I plan to use it as a dingy to tow behind our motor home. Can’t wait to find some rougher roads to do a little off road-ing.

8C94E112-6117-4EAF-B102-9551A3269A76.jpeg

Grüezi
Sounds like you have roots in Switzerland or ....?
No, only the Saurer! We bought it though, from a Swiss couple in 2017, from a craigslist ad in Denver, CO. They were touring the America's when they decided to sell it. We're going to sell her this spring when we get back from Baja. Bought a house down there, so not going to travel as much. Great vehicle! Indestructible!

No, only the Saurer! We bought it though, from a Swiss couple in 2017, from a craigslist ad in Denver, CO. They were touring the America's when they decided to sell it. We're going to sell her this spring when we get back from Baja. Bought a house down there, so not going to travel as much. Great vehicle! Indestructible!
Thx for responding
These “things” are making me homesick.
Lol
I’ve served in the Swiss-army before immigrating to CANADA, 30+ years ago,

—•|||||•—👋🏿

You know that back in Germany they’re selling “dirt in a can” fir ?
Lol
Just giving ya a hard time, your rig looks nicer than on the showroom floor 👍🏿👍🏿👍🏿

—•|||||•—👋🏿
Hahaha ya! In the process of getting it show ready so I can ruin it on the trails next season. Then I can start all over again!