Show us your off-road trailer setup!

This like your trailer, but still as an ATV trailer.
CIMG6759.JPG

I recognize that aluminum tub....its off an ATV trailer. I have one just like it for my ATV. How do you open the top of the trailer with the RTT on it?
The RTT is on a lift, it goes straight up enough to where I can get a large cooler, etc into the container (as if I wanted to lift anything that heavy that high). The RTT stows low for driving and pops up pretty easily after releasing a few latches with the aid of some pneumatic cylinders to help with the weight.

Reactions: lowranger
I posted this trailer when I got it earlier this year (post #'s 90 & 91). The idea then was to use it for a while, make a few changes to it and generally get to know it before I make more changes to it. While making 5 camping trips, I've made some changes and "think" I know what I want to do with it. The changes from here in will be pretty easy … Jeep wheels, 3,500 lb. axle with brakes, square fenders, on board hot water system, electrical modifications, etc.

The big decision is if I should build a real off road duplicate of it. I know most of the changes I'd like to make and I have most of what I need to do it. The only thing I'd have to out source is the making of the "tent".

Anyway, here are a few of the things I've done so far in pictures ...
… and lots to do yet!

19-08-05 1.JPG
19-06-29 1.JPG
19-06-02 9.JPG
19-06-02 7.JPG
19-06-02 5.JPG
19-06-20 3.JPG
19-09-19.JPG

19-08-05 5.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_ and Kiwi TJ
I like this thread but CHRIS what about instead of "Off Topic" you had a "TJ Camp/Trialer/Expo" thread. Not for TJ mods but for everything to support getting out and about with our TJs overnight.... or over month. or overland. From RTTs to trailers to refrigeration to how to cook food.

This is a great thread to follow.. really cool ideas! This is my 1967 M416 I purchased directly from the Missouri Army Guard. They asked if I was going to modify it in anyway and I told them no I'm keeping it intact. so when I went up to get one they gave me a pristine one, extra rim/tire, repair kit, operating manual, tarp and set of the newer taillights (that i installed myself). They hated to hear people cutting them up and putting in tailgates, etc. and seemed to be very proud of the ones that served the unit well. If someone was intending on modifying one, they told me they would give them a more abused one.

M416.jpg

This is a great thread to follow.. really cool ideas! This is my 1967 M416 I purchased directly from the Missouri Army Guard. They asked if I was going to modify it in anyway and I told them no I'm keeping it intact. so when I went up to get one they gave me a pristine one, extra rim/tire, repair kit, operating manual, tarp and set of the newer taillights (that i installed myself). They hated to hear people cutting them up and putting in tailgates, etc. and seemed to be very proud of the ones that served the unit well. If someone was intending on modifying one, they told me they would give them a more abused one.

View attachment 118773
How much could you pick up one of those over there ?

Man these things have skyrocketed in price over the years. I kept watching several government auction sites until I saw this one I purchased appear. Strangely it was the only one on the site but when I showed up to pick mine up there was quite a few marked up and also sold. It was the first and only time I've ever bid and won a gov't auction so the entire process was pretty interesting. Also convenient since I could drive 13 hrs and pick it up myself in the midwest. I ended up getting mine for $450 and within a couple of years have seen these easily double and triple in price depending on the condition.

• Wow
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Man these things have skyrocketed in price over the years. I kept watching several government auction sites until I saw this one I purchased appear. Strangely it was the only one on the site but when I showed up to pick mine up there was quite a few marked up and also sold. It was the first and only time I've ever bid and won a gov't auction so the entire process was pretty interesting. Also convenient since I could drive 13 hrs and pick it up myself in the midwest. I ended up getting mine for $450 and within a couple of years have seen these easily double and triple in price depending on the condition.
Out here they don't appear too often...but when they do even rusty ones go for USD$1,100.00 equivalent. You could sell your out here for about $2,200.00USD haha

Out here they don't appear too often...but when they do even rusty ones go for USD$1,100.00 equivalent. You could sell your out here for about $2,200.00USD haha
That's about right here now too from what i've seen. You might find one someone wants to dump like anything else but most people know what they have and are worth. I've been offered $1500 for mine once at a gas station while filling up but told the guy no way. Another cool thing is I have mine registered in Texas as a military vehicle with that on the plate since I had all the required info on the dataplate.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I finally got to use our trailer (posts 90, 91 & 126 of this thread) after installing flat fenders and Jeep Ecco wheels with A/T tires. Having a flat surface on both sides of the trailer is a nice addition and is much more practical. I made a number of other changes too which include on demand hot water, interior and exterior lights, solar power, interior storage, etc.

20-06-25 6.JPG

The above is "our" trailer, my wife's and mine. I'm making progress on "my" trailer (post #4 of this thread) and it's almost ready to hit the road ... on my own. The above trailer allowed my to rethink "my" trailer. It's been an almost total remake but I'm happy with the new direction and added use I'll get out of it. It will have all of the features the original version had plus some. I've started to rough out a DIY hard top side entry RTT for it which is something I didn't want for the original version of it. I have a thread somewhere here on it that I'll update when it's done.

20-06-28 3.JPG

I've made some progress on a third trailer (post #73) but the above 2 have kept me busy.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountaineerTom